Is it better going university or learning everything at home ? Watch

Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I've always been passionate about theoretical physics however ever since I started A-level I've been losing my interest in it.
This is because of what they teach at A-level.

I'm hoping that if I go to uni it will all change back. however, I need good grades in order to go to a uni that offers theoretical physics.

Every time I try revising applied maths and physics I give up less than 10 minutes in. I've never been able to revise something boring. I've tried doing everything in order to but nothing seems to work.

Right now I'm getting BC grades (A-A* in pure maths, D in applied maths and C in physics). The only reason I'm not getting U's is because of the mechanics questions, any other question I can't do and I'm not willing to.

I won't be that upset if I don't get into a uni since I can just sneak in and learn the things at home.
Also, the job I get doesn't really matter to me that much because I don't care about money. However, I rather have a good paying job rather than a bad one since I can support my family that way.

Should I not bother getting an offer from a university and just learn what I want and sneak into one, or Should I get into a university?
And if going to uni is better, how can I revise something I'm not willing to?
Last edited by .22; 4 days ago
velvethopes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
First of all, would not recommend sneaking into a uni.

If learning about the subject at A Level is causing you disinterest, why would you even risk sneaking into a uni? Could just find resources yourself and teach yourself completely. Also, it’d be a bit unfair on those who are paying at least £9,250 to be sat beside you.

Also - though I’m not an expert - I assume an employer would rather you have the degree as evidence you understand the subject rather than claiming you know about it on your CV.

Or, could look into online courses, or I’m sure there may be apprenticeships that would be related to theoretical physics, potentially even degree apprenticeships.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Its just A-level physics that's causing me disinterest, the only reason I still wanna do Theoretical physics is because of all the lecture notes and videos online. And you're right it's not fair sneaking in when others are paying for it. Thanks for everything else <3.
1 last thing, do u have any advice for the revision part?
Last edited by .22; 4 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads