Picking GCSE’s soon, is computer science that hard? Watch

LizRoss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So recently we have been told we will have to start considering what we want to do GCSE’s wise in the future and I’m already set on ART and MEDIA (which could anyone give me info about I’m more certain on them but still would appreciate help!) The one GCSE I’m still really stuck on is definitely computer science as so many people say they regret choosing it or it was REALLY difficult and one of the hardest GCSE’s and I’m not sure if can do it. I’m not that good at math either but I really love computers!
Any help from experienced people?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Õpilane
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've started it this year and I've found it really enjoyable - particularly the programming side (we do programming and theory in my school, I'm sure you would too but definitely check with your teacher). I'm sure it varies between schools, but it is a lot of work, particularly for the theory, so it's got to be something you enjoy. However, I've found it really interesting and I don't regret taking it The only maths element I've come across so far in the course (apart from programming something to do maths calculations) is binary, but I'm sure you could get the hang of that. I would recommend checking the specification for your exam board before you make a decision.
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Computer Science is more about getting down to the thinking behind computers.

The reason people usually find that difficult is that it's a completely new and unfamiliar way of looking at the world in terms that a computer can understand, using logic and describing real-world things in terms of patterns made up from 'true' and 'false' (on/off or 1 and 0). Just like everything it takes practice, and you need to persist at it until it "clicks", but once you get the lightbulb moment then eventually it all starts making sense - it takes a lot of work to get there though.

The stuff that people usually struggle with at first is programming and how to think like a programmer (computational thinking) since that takes quite a lot of practice, understanding some new programming jargon, being able to look at problems in new ways, then being able to use a programming language to solve problems in a way that computers understand.

Have a look at this video to get a better idea of the kind of thing to expect:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5azaK2cBKGw

If you're not sure how you feel about programming, then give Python a try here: https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-python
(most people use Python at GCSE)

You don't need to be good at Maths really - at least not the kind of Maths you get at GCSE; there's no calculus or equations/formulas or anything like that.
Õpilane
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by winterscoming)
Computer Science is more about getting down to the thinking behind computers.

The reason people usually find that difficult is that it's a completely new and unfamiliar way of looking at the world in terms that a computer can understand, using logic and describing real-world things in terms of patterns made up from 'true' and 'false' (on/off or 1 and 0). Just like everything it takes practice, and you need to persist at it until it "clicks", but once you get the lightbulb moment then eventually it all starts making sense - it takes a lot of work to get there though.

The stuff that people usually struggle with at first is programming and how to think like a programmer (computational thinking) since that takes quite a lot of practice, understanding some new programming jargon, being able to look at problems in new ways, then being able to use a programming language to solve problems in a way that computers understand.

Have a look at this video to get a better idea of the kind of thing to expect:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5azaK2cBKGw

If you're not sure how you feel about programming, then give Python a try here: https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-python
(most people use Python at GCSE)

You don't need to be good at Maths really - at least not the kind of Maths you get at GCSE; there's no calculus or equations/formulas or anything like that.
I would definitely agree with that. Once you get the hang of programming though it's amazing
_Leviathan_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
From personal experience I did pick it at GCSE and like others I had little to no idea what I’m getting myself into. But the first few weeks we were taught the basics and the programming and theory and I got the jig of it. I managed to get an A* in the end which was awesome and I put that to hard work and understanding.
There is not much maths integrated into the subject it’s just the coding you’re gonna find tough (will be using programmes like python and/or maybe Java).
It’s a very fun subject once you know the basics and what you’re doing.

@winteriscoming post gives a good idea
Õpilane
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Õpilane)
I've started it this year and I've found it really enjoyable - particularly the programming side (we do programming and theory in my school, I'm sure you would too but definitely check with your teacher). I'm sure it varies between schools, but it is a lot of work, particularly for the theory, so it's got to be something you enjoy. However, I've found it really interesting and I don't regret taking it The only maths element I've come across so far in the course (apart from programming something to do maths calculations) is binary, but I'm sure you could get the hang of that. I would recommend checking the specification for your exam board before you make a decision.
Just to elaborate on my first post, all GCSE subjects are going to involve work if you want to do well in them; I was only commenting on there being quite a bit of content. As I said, I've found it really interesting so far.
AyyLmao0
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Personally, I feel like as long as you have a somewhat advanced or above average understanding of computers and how they work, Comp Sci should be pretty easy. IMO, if you feel like ICT is easily understandable, and you enjoy it, then you might enjoy and do well in Comp Sci.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.79%
No - but I will (115)
7.89%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.33%

Watched Threads