lovedayminette
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I will be attending either Leiden University or the University of Amsterdam starting in September 2019. Looking at both universities' 2019-2020 academic calendars, I noticed that there is about 1 week during Christmas, 2 months during the summer, and then a few separate days sprinkled throughout the year. Why do these universities have so little vacation time compared to others, and how do students deal with not having one or two 1-week breaks in spring and fall, for example?
Robyn Smyth
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know right..I am deciding if I should stay in the UK where you get month long holidays at christmas and Easter or go to Leiden where you get barley any holiday. It shouldn't be a deciding factor but it is.
C.Kadiddlehopper
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am surprised that you would need to ask this question. A cursory perusal of the academic programs at both universities ( as well as at other Dutch research universities) clearly indicates that English-language programs run 36 months, as opposed to 48 months in the USA &(I assume) the U.K.
This makes sense for many international students who can acquire a bachelor's degree in 3 years as opposed to 4,thus greatly reducing expenses.
This would not be the case if the Dutch extended the holiday periods, as you seem to desire.
(Original post by lovedayminette)
I will be attending either Leiden University or the University of Amsterdam starting in September 2019. Looking at both universities' 2019-2020 academic calendars, I noticed that there is about 1 week during Christmas, 2 months during the summer, and then a few separate days sprinkled throughout the year. Why do these universities have so little vacation time compared to others, and how do students deal with not having one or two 1-week breaks in spring and fall, for example?
Breward
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
UK Bachelor degrees are 3 years, usually of three 10-12 week terms a year (Oxbridge terms are 8 weeks long). UK unis have coursework/essays/assignments and end of year exams. The final term is only about 4 weeks of lectures then exams.

Dutch Bachelor degrees are 3 years with 2 semesters a year containing two 8 week blocks. 7 weeks teaching and a week of exams at the end of each block. So 32 weeks of contact time. January and June are often for retakes, so there may be very little contact hours in those months.

At UvA recently, I was told that there was no teaching after the May exams. So depending on your timetable the Christmas Holiday may be extended well into January and June-Sept is the summer holiday. No Easter break apart from an extended weekend and lots of bank holidays in April/May.

This is Leiden's 2019-20 academic calendar. Count the 8 week blocks to see how the year pans out.

https://www.student.universiteitleid...19-2020-en.pdf
poppycorn123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In my experience at a Dutch university it really depended on if you had resits. They typical schedule was 8 weeks of class followed by a week for exams. Then you had 1 or 2 weeks 'holiday' which is when the resits for the previous block were scheduled. If you don't have any resits then you basically have a holiday, otherwise you just keep on studying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.82%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.45%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (37)
16.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads