What are the most important transferable skills? Watch

shadowdweller
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Transferable skills are an increasingly important part of searching for employment and increasing employability, but they're also an area that is often overlooked despite this. It's crucial to consider what the most important transferable skills are for the role you're applying for, and how you can best emphasise you have them them.

According to Forbes, the most important transferable skills for changing careers are:
  • Technical
  • Communication
  • Critical Thinking
  • Multitasking
  • Teamwork
  • Creativity
  • Leadership

But it's fair to say that there are many others that could have been on this list, including time management, work ethic and openness to feedback, to name a view.

What do you consider to be the most important transferable skills? Why do we need them?
sulaimanali
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Responsibility and reliability
Resilience - comes with GOOD work ethic
Adaptability and flexibility
Consideration (listening/thinking of others e.g. empathy at times)
KimNoel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
organsation is also a important skill, as employers will want somebody who is organised so that they do the jobs properly, and in a way which is good
Molseh
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I think it wildly depends on the role. From that list I rate Teamwork and Leadership above the others.

One that isn't mentioned on there but I like to see when I am hiring is confidence. If someone can sit in an interview and give calm thought out answers without flapping then I know they will deal well with customers.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Willingness to subjugate yourself to your boss
Willingness to work crazy hours
Willingness to accept (below) minimum wage

Those will help you get a new job.
04MR17
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Interpersonal skills. People are complicated and being able to get along with them means a lot, both for colleagues and for customers or service users. Often this is part of communication but I think it's so much more than that too.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
In my limited experience I would put team working and communication skills as two of the most important 'soft skills' needed almost regardless of the job.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Punctuation.
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Two have always won out for me no matter what I have recruited for

Self drive and determination
A willingness to learn

Everything else comes with time, opportunity and experience, but no one can give you the above two factors, that has to come from you.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (371)
37.29%
No - but I will (75)
7.54%
No - I don't want to (70)
7.04%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (479)
48.14%

Watched Threads