The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science (Caledonian or Strathclyde)

I have offers for both Caledonian and Strathclyde. I am wondering which is the best for Biomedical Science and which has a better employment rate afterwards? I am looking more to go onto a research degree afterwards to become a research scientist, which would be best for that?
Reply 1
GCU is accredited by HCPC which will be more useful if your wanting to work in the NHS once you get your degree, Strathclyde however isn’t and I think that is the biggest difference ! I am in the same position as you trying to pick between them 😊
Original post by JackDemetriou
I have offers for both Caledonian and Strathclyde. I am wondering which is the best for Biomedical Science and which has a better employment rate afterwards? I am looking more to go onto a research degree afterwards to become a research scientist, which would be best for that?
What one is the best if you want to go onto a research degree or PhD?
Reply 3

Well you can do it with either but cale just gives you the option of working in the NHS without having to try and get accreditation by HCPC which I’ve heard is difficult once you are out of uni. If you are sure being a biomedical scientist in the NHS isn’t for you then probs Strathclyde is better
You just need a good grade and experience if possible to get onto a research degree program so just pick the more interesting course.
I firmed Strathclyde for Biomedical Science yesterday. It is a course recognised by the Royal Institute of Biology and by the Institute of Biomedical Science. Also many graduates went on to work at the NHS according to their website or to further study. They’re one of the top unis in the uk for Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy.

I think it’s a great uni hence why I choose to go there in September. But cale is also a really good uni so it’s up to you! Also the department of Biomedical Sciences at Strathclyde is amazing!
It's not accredited by the HCPC, they do not accredit degrees. The University say it is 'approved' which is basically an extension of having both IBMS accreditation and a potential placement year. The HCPC 'approval' only comes into play if you do a placement year, get one of the few NHS placements and manage to obtain an IBMS Certificate of Competence within that year.

Few ifs in there, but without successfully navigating that route the HCPC 'approval' is just a paperweight.
Original post by ktt_19
GCU is accredited by HCPC which will be more useful if your wanting to work in the NHS once you get your degree, Strathclyde however isn’t and I think that is the biggest difference ! I am in the same position as you trying to pick between them 😊
Does the applied section through the HCPC only help towards a job in the NHS? What other benefits of getting this work placement help with?
Universities that offer placements are reducing with the rise of BSc Healthcare Science which includes integrated NHS placements, similar to Nursing or Midwifery.

The Applied Biomedical Science degree does have advantages with non-NHS placements if you wish to work in other non-NHS sectors, work experience is always an advantage. If you want to work as a Biomedical Scientist then HCPC registration is a legality you need to deal with. Without it it is illegal to even refer to yourself as a Biomedical Scientist, nevermind act as one.

Placements are usually few and far between. There are 5-6 different Pathology disciplines in your average hospital. Not ever discipline will be happy to take a student and sometimes whole Pathology departments will refuse. This means that a University will have limited placements available depending on how many hospitals are local to you. With ongoing centralisation most area's have one pathology laboratory in their vicinity. This can mean that getting the NHS placements is competitive.

If working as a Biomedical Scientist is what you want then BSc Healthcare Science (Life Science) is, in my opinion, the best route since your placement in an NHS pathology laboratory is guaranteed the second you're accepted onto the course. Unfortunately I do not think there are any providers in Scotland, Sunderland is probably the nearest.
Does the applied section through the HCPC only help towards a job in the NHS? What other benefits of getting this work placement help with?
I am more interested in research science, which is best?
The IBMS accreditation is irrelevant to you then as is gaining HCPC registration. The only advantage would be doing a non-NHS placement which is appropriate to where you want to go after University.
I am more interested in research science, which is best?
I am looking to go onto a masters or PhD, after my undergraduate degree, which university is best for me (Caledonian or Strathclyde)?
Reply 12
Original post by arpereira
I firmed Strathclyde for Biomedical Science yesterday. It is a course recognised by the Royal Institute of Biology and by the Institute of Biomedical Science. Also many graduates went on to work at the NHS according to their website or to further study. They’re one of the top unis in the uk for Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy.

I think it’s a great uni hence why I choose to go there in September. But cale is also a really good uni so it’s up to you! Also the department of Biomedical Sciences at Strathclyde is amazing!

hey am thinking of doing biomed science. How do you find it? isit mostly lab work? what are planning to do with that degree if you dont mind telling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending