The Student Room Group

a level biology or physics?

Hi all,
I'll get straight to the point. Im not sure whether to study physics or biology at a level.
The reason I'm thinking of biology is that I was thinking of studying forensic science and I heard biology is almost always needed however its not my favourite subject :frown: plus I have heard memorising is a key part in the a level.
I was thinking of doing physics for engineering or astrophysics but I can not make up my mind.
My other two subjects are maths and chemistry.
I would do all 4 subjects but I feel like that would be too hard

ps grades aren't a problem I've got 8's all round :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Do all 4 until you figure out if you want to do forensic science or engineering. I don't want to tell you to do one, only for you to realise a year later you hate the idea of doing such and such degree.

do you need chemistry for forensic science?
(edited 5 years ago)
Tbh, I'd say go for biology and forensic science. I find forensic science to be a very interesting profession, biology is also the the easiest science and it's also very interesting
Original post by BurntToast101
Hi all,
I'll get straight to the point. Im not sure whether to study physics or biology at a level.
The reason I'm thinking of biology is that I was thinking of studying forensic science and I heard biology is almost always needed however its not my favourite subject :frown: plus I have heard memorising is a key part in the a level.
I was thinking of doing physics for engineering or astrophysics but I can not make up my mind.

I take physics, chemistry and maths at a-level having dropped biology in the first year (and not getting any sort of qualification out of it).

My advice would be don't take biology unless you're completely invested in it. I got straight A*s/9s and full UMS in gcse biology, I found the subject interesting and it was related to the career path I wanted to take at the time but imo I never committed myself to the workload and content. In terms of difficulty the content wasn't hard to understand, it was just a matter of being bothered enough to learn it and this depends on you as a person. My relationship with a-level physics has always been good, I've found it interlinks so well with maths more and unlike biology there isn't as much content although it's more difficult to understand (personally) so it was more suited towards my needs.
Original post by urgurlbecca
I take physics, chemistry and maths at a-level having dropped biology in the first year (and not getting any sort of qualification out of it).

My advice would be don't take biology unless you're completely invested in it. I got straight A*s/9s and full UMS in gcse biology, I found the subject interesting and it was related to the career path I wanted to take at the time but imo I never committed myself to the workload and content. In terms of difficulty the content wasn't hard to understand, it was just a matter of being bothered enough to learn it and this depends on you as a person. My relationship with a-level physics has always been good, I've found it interlinks so well with maths more and unlike biology there isn't as much content although it's more difficult to understand (personally) so it was more suited towards my needs.

What we can take away from this response is if, like me, you're lazy I wouldn't do biology.
My best friend wants to do forensics and she’s doing chemistry physics and maths, she’s going on to do a degree in chemical engineering and then possibly a masters in forensics

She couldn’t decide between the 2 originally but speaking to people and researching forensics she realised there are so little jobs you can get with just a normal forensics degree and not a masters, that’s why she’s doing it that way. I would do the one you’re better at as you need very good grades for forensics or engineering either way
you might actually be ok with doing all 4 if you can't make up your mind - I know a few people who have taken these 4 subjects. Your grades are very good so as long as you are interested in your subjects you'll be fine
I personally wouldn’t recommend doing all 4, kind of pointless because universities only consider 3

So if you could get AAA* and then got AABB they’d take you as an AAB
Reply 8
I would choose all 4 but my school doesn't allow us to drop any subjects during the 2 year course
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
Do all 4 until you figure out if you want to do forensic science or engineering. I don't want to tell you to do one, only for you to realise a year later you hate the idea of doing such and such degree.

do you need chemistry for forensic science?
Reply 9
Thank you for the advice! If you were doing so well in bio what made you want to drop it? just curious lol
Original post by urgurlbecca

Reply 10
When I done my Biology A level it was a lot of memorising stuff. Now I’m teaching it, it’s changed a lot and there’s a lot of application involved!
Hi all,

Whe
Reply 11
So I could do forensics without doing bio? I've read on so many sites bio is needed but Im still not really sure

Original post by oliviataylor2312
My best friend wants to do forensics and she’s doing chemistry physics and maths, she’s going on to do a degree in chemical engineering and then possibly a masters in forensics

She couldn’t decide between the 2 originally but speaking to people and researching forensics she realised there are so little jobs you can get with just a normal forensics degree and not a masters, that’s why she’s doing it that way. I would do the one you’re better at as you need very good grades for forensics or engineering either way
Reply 12
4 subjects seems like it would be too hard but there is a chance I may do it
Original post by blackvoid17
you might actually be ok with doing all 4 if you can't make up your mind - I know a few people who have taken these 4 subjects. Your grades are very good so as long as you are interested in your subjects you'll be fine
I would choose all 4 but my school doesn't allow us to drop any subjects during the 2 year course

If I were you, I wouldn't choose biology. Forensic science is great, but the job market is heavily saturated and engineering will always be in demand WORLDWIDE. Good luck!
So I could do forensics without doing bio? I've read on so many sites bio is needed but Im still not really sure

Depends, if you wanted to come straight out of school and do it then you probably do need to however my friends doing a masters in it after her degree because she’s more likely to get a job in it then so she doesn’t need biology
Biology is much more difficult than Physics in my opinion. Also, Physics has less statistics than Biology. Physics applies more easily to other science-related fields as well, so if you changed your mind you’d have a wider variety of options open to you.
Reply 16
I have read over the spec for aqa bio a level to deepen my knowledge for GCSE. It seems like a lot of it is still memorising but I'm sure you would know more!
Original post by georgem93
When I done my Biology A level it was a lot of memorising stuff. Now I’m teaching it, it’s changed a lot and there’s a lot of application involved!

Whe
Reply 17
Seems like the most convincing option as well. thanks for the advice!
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
If I were you, I wouldn't choose biology. Forensic science is great, but the job market is heavily saturated and engineering will always be in demand WORLDWIDE. Good luck!
Thank you for the advice! If you were doing so well in bio what made you want to drop it? just curious lol

It was a lot of content and in all honesty although it was at times interesting I didn't need the extra workload. Especially as I decided on engineering as a career path biology was no longer essential and I wasn't committed enough to it to keep it.
Reply 19
Yes I’m sure I would. The spec is very basic, you should look at past papers to see the types of questions you get and the level of demand.
If you’re capable, do all sciences!
I have read over the spec for aqa bio a level to deepen my knowledge for GCSE. It seems like a lot of it is still memorising but I'm sure you would know more!

Quick Reply

Latest