The Student Room Group

Combined pill-am I pregnant?

I had my first pill ( Rigevidon ) at 20:00 on 9th of April and had unprotected sex at 2 am on 15th of April. It says, it takes 7 days for the pill to start protecting from pregnancy. Does it mean I should’ve waited for the 8th day?
Hi there

It depends if you started it within the first 5 days of your period - in which case you would be covered straight away (unless you have a very short menstrual cycle).

If you didn't start during the first few days of your period, to reach the full seven days you would need to get to 8pm on 16th April to be fully covered. It would be a very good idea to speak to a medical practitioner for advice, and consider emergency contraception.

You can read up more about the combined pill here. If the combined pill is taken perfectly it is 99% effective, however, with typical use nine in 100 users will become pregnant in one year. Some of the most effective forms of contraception are long-acting reversible contraception as you don't have to remember to take anything.

All the best

Daisy

I had my first pill ( Rigevidon ) at 20:00 on 9th of April and had unprotected sex at 2 am on 15th of April. It says, it takes 7 days for the pill to start protecting from pregnancy. Does it mean I should’ve waited for the 8th day?
Reply 2
It was 2 am on 16th of April. 6 hours after the 7th pill. Do I need emergency contraceptive pill?
Original post by Uplink
It was 2 am on 16th of April. 6 hours after the 7th pill. Do I need emergency contraceptive pill?

Hi there

I ran your question past our Clinical Lead who has over 20 year's experience as a sexual health nurse. She said that you would be covered by 8pm on the 16th. Please speak to a medical practitioner for advice, including discussing options for emergency contraception.

All the best

Daisy

Quick Reply

Latest