The Student Room Group

Should i study English or History at uni?

I want to do a joint honours degree with English or History and French. I am certain that I want to do French but I’m unsure whether I should do English or History. English has always been a safe option for me and I enjoy writing and reading, but I’m not too keen on Shakespeare, Chaucer ect. English is probably most relevant for my future career as i like the idea of being a publisher or journalist. BUT I’m finding English a bit boring at the moment (I’m in year 12), whereas I am genuinely really interested in History. I got 9s in both subjects at GCSE. The modules at uni for history interest me, but i am aware that compared with English, History has fewer job prospects. Any experience of these subjects at uni? Which one would be the most useful and enjoyable?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
You have misunderstood how "job prospects" work in terms of degrees; nobody cares what specific subject you studied. Nobody. Unless you are going into teaching or academia, it's irrelevant (outside of STEM fields anyway); what employers look at/for are the transferable, "soft skills" the degree engenders in e.g. organisation, writing to deadlines, coping with pressure, written and oral communication ability, research skills, etc. English literature and History by and large develop the same kinds of skills so either will suffice for the same kinds of roles.

More important than you degree subject is making a point of getting relevant work experience/placements/internships during your degree course. I also don't see how English literature is more relevant to publishing; you aren't analysing the literary devices of the books your company is publishing, you are working in the business of publishing. Hence, what is important are the transferable skills, which as above will be the same between English and History for the most part. As such, you should pick the one you are more interested in, as it's more likely that interest will sustain you to getting a good 2:1 or a 1st.

As you've said already that you are genuinely interested in history, and you think the modules listed for typical history courses are more appealing to you, the choice seems fairly obvious - go for history.
Reply 3
Thank you for your advice! ☺️👍
Original post by artful_lounger
You have misunderstood how "job prospects" work in terms of degrees; nobody cares what specific subject you studied. Nobody. Unless you are going into teaching or academia, it's irrelevant (outside of STEM fields anyway); what employers look at/for are the transferable, "soft skills" the degree engenders in e.g. organisation, writing to deadlines, coping with pressure, written and oral communication ability, research skills, etc. English literature and History by and large develop the same kinds of skills so either will suffice for the same kinds of roles.

More important than you degree subject is making a point of getting relevant work experience/placements/internships during your degree course. I also don't see how English literature is more relevant to publishing; you aren't analysing the literary devices of the books your company is publishing, you are working in the business of publishing. Hence, what is important are the transferable skills, which as above will be the same between English and History for the most part. As such, you should pick the one you are more interested in, as it's more likely that interest will sustain you to getting a good 2:1 or a 1st.

As you've said already that you are genuinely interested in history, and you think the modules listed for typical history courses are more appealing to you, the choice seems fairly obvious - go for history.

Quick Reply

Latest