The Student Room Group

Applied for eighty jobs and rejected all

Hello,

I am basically on a gap year and from middle of January I have been applying for jobs at Starbucks, Subway, Topshop and lesser known shops, hotels, coffee shops and bars.

I am getting rejected everywhere I go. All 80 places have rejected me, even for the most basic minimum wage jobs. I have had interviews for a small handful and trial shifts, though no luck.

I spent the beginning of my gap year working at a hotel, then the rest has been a mix of volunteering at charity shops, festivals and a hostel.

Why am I getting rejected? I haven't been mentioning I am on a gap year and will start uni in September, as I thought that might be putting off.

I also have put my grades (A's) and some of the sports and other extra-curricular I do in my spare time.

I don't understand. Should I take away my school grades and extra-curricular?

It's not like I have no experience. Okay, I've only had a paid job once (and it was abroad) but I have done a lot of volunteering and I thought that was a good thing.

Please give advice
Original post by StudyingCat

You need to focus on giving the employer evidence that you have the skills to do the job you are applying for. Starbucks couldn't care less that you have an A* in Geography, they absolutely do want to see evidence that you can serve people, be friendly, keep up a fast pace, follow hygiene rules, use a till etc.

Putting that you will be going to Uni is Sep will put employers off unless they are advertising seasonal work, so either don't mention it, or only apply for summer jobs, or apply to the large chains that have a student programme where you can move the job to your Uni town.
Reply 2
I've put a "skills" section to my CV which lists skills such as customer-service, telephone, reception work

I've also put a paragraph under each job, telling all the skills required eg for the hostel: "the hostel could get very busy and so this required a lot of stamina"

Thanks for the help!
Original post by threeportdrift
You need to focus on giving the employer evidence that you have the skills to do the job you are applying for. Starbucks couldn't care less that you have an A* in Geography, they absolutely do want to see evidence that you can serve people, be friendly, keep up a fast pace, follow hygiene rules, use a till etc.

Putting that you will be going to Uni is Sep will put employers off unless they are advertising seasonal work, so either don't mention it, or only apply for summer jobs, or apply to the large chains that have a student programme where you can move the job to your Uni town.
I've put a "skills" section to my CV which lists skills such as customer-service, telephone, reception work

I've also put a paragraph under each job, telling all the skills required eg for the hostel: "the hostel could get very busy and so this required a lot of stamina"

Thanks for the help!

Ok, then your CV needs a major reconstruction. Employers don't want to see an isolated 'skills' section, it removes all context from the skills and makes them more like a list of claims. They want to see the context/events under which you demonstrated those skills.

You also don't use paragraphs in CVs, no-one has time you read them. You use bullet points that begin with a relevant verb (Led, Managed, Organised, Helped, Used, Negotiated etc) and then give scope and scale to what you actually did. They don't want stories or descriptions of skills required, they want evidence of what you actually did.

There's a CV Help forum on TSR that can help with formatting and content.
Reply 4
It's not paragraphs. Under each job there is 2 sentences saying what I did eg " I had a range of duties at the hostel including working at reception
and at the till, making and serving breakfast and cleaning rooms and kitchens. This required a lot of stamina and energy as there would be
a lot of work to do, particularly when large university groups were staying at the hostel."

And I only added in the "skills" section after fifty rejections. I also only this week started adding in extra-curricular, as I thought saying being the Editor of the school newspaper was irrelevant to a coffee shop job.

Original post by threeportdrift
Ok, then your CV needs a major reconstruction. Employers don't want to see an isolated 'skills' section, it removes all context from the skills and makes them more like a list of claims. They want to see the context/events under which you demonstrated those skills.

You also don't use paragraphs in CVs, no-one has time you read them. You use bullet points that begin with a relevant verb (Led, Managed, Organised, Helped, Used, Negotiated etc) and then give scope and scale to what you actually did. They don't want stories or descriptions of skills required, they want evidence of what you actually did.

There's a CV Help forum on TSR that can help with formatting and content.

Whatever you think about your CV, the maths is this

80 - the number of interviews you have had = the number of employers who weren't impressed by your CV.

Whatever someone thinks about their own CV is irrelevant, the CV is a document produced for an employer to judge. If it isn't getting you to interview you need to make it more appealing to an employer, not to yourself.
Are you on a gap year from university or A levels.

Because if you've been to uni, you may be without conceptualising your acting a bit stuckup. Like these roles are beneath me, its easy to do.

It also intimidates people your on a gap year from uni, and you may be entering there career area.

In the vein of, shes a uni girl, can't compete with her bet shes clever... Next applicant!!
Give references from your old workplaces, positive comments mean a lot.
Say why you are interested and why you are applying.
Improve your CV
Reply 8
I am starting uni in September however did not mention in my CV.

I didn't mention I was on a gap year, either.

Then at the job interviews I did mention for one (didn't get the job) and the other I said when I began uni in September, I was planning on commuting to the work. (As the uni and work are only fifty minutes away.)
Original post by Realitysreflexx

Because if you've been to uni, you may be without conceptualising your acting a bit stuckup. Like these roles are beneath me, its easy to do.

It also intimidates people your on a gap year from uni, and you may be entering there career area.

In the vein of, shes a uni girl, can't compete with her bet shes clever... Next applicant!!
Reply 9
There is something not quite clicking with your CV. Try the National Careers Service. You can go on line and then make a face to face appointment. They will advise and even rewrite your CV for you. Any idea what has happened in the interviews and trial periods you mention? Always worth asking for some feedback.
(edited 5 years ago)
It's also because these places are only looking for one candidate. The bowling alley, for instance, had thirty people at the group interview for one job. Next had fifty applications for one job.

It's also a lot to do with the volume of applications. One person leaves, so fifty try for the job.

Original post by Zarek
There is something not quite clicking with your CV> Try the National Careers Service. You can go on line and then make a face to face appointment. They will advise and even rewrite your CV for you. Any idea what has happened in the interviews and trial periods you mention? Always worth asking for some feedback.
It's also because these places are only looking for one candidate. The bowling alley, for instance, had thirty people at the group interview for one job. Next had fifty applications for one job.

It's also a lot to do with the volume of applications. One person leaves, so fifty try for the job.

Like another poster asked, did you request feedback from the trial shifts/interviews you did get?

It does sound like your CV needs work -- remember, your CV should ideally be tailored to each job you apply to, to make it stand out and be most relevant to the employer. You shouldn't be sending the same CV to tens of employers who all offer different jobs (and therefore have different priorities/desired skills in an employee).

Get your CV checked by a careers adviser, as this will at least help you to get more interviews.
Original post by Realitysreflexx

What! Starbucks is full of graduates. Lots of students are doing service jobs. I'd understand the point for low level clerical work but not McJob type work.
Sign on with an agency - they get paid to find you a job
Hello,

I am basically on a gap year and from middle of January I have been applying for jobs at Starbucks, Subway, Topshop and lesser known shops, hotels, coffee shops and bars.

I am getting rejected everywhere I go. All 80 places have rejected me, even for the most basic minimum wage jobs. I have had interviews for a small handful and trial shifts, though no luck.

I spent the beginning of my gap year working at a hotel, then the rest has been a mix of volunteering at charity shops, festivals and a hostel.

Why am I getting rejected? I haven't been mentioning I am on a gap year and will start uni in September, as I thought that might be putting off.

I also have put my grades (A's) and some of the sports and other extra-curricular I do in my spare time.

I don't understand. Should I take away my school grades and extra-curricular?

It's not like I have no experience. Okay, I've only had a paid job once (and it was abroad) but I have done a lot of volunteering and I thought that was a good thing.

Please give advice

I recommend reading this TSR article on how to write a killer CV: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/jobs/apply/cv/writing-the-killer-cv

You can post on the CV help forum (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=339) to get specific advice on how to improve your CV.
I asked for feedback and the excuses were generic. Others didn't reply to my email
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Like another poster asked, did you request feedback from the trial shifts/interviews you did get?

It does sound like your CV needs work -- remember, your CV should ideally be tailored to each job you apply to, to make it stand out and be most relevant to the employer. You shouldn't be sending the same CV to tens of employers who all offer different jobs (and therefore have different priorities/desired skills in an employee).

Get your CV checked by a careers adviser, as this will at least help you to get more interviews.
I have now changed my CV and applied for more, hopefully more luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending