Is 15 hours a day of revision enough for GCSEs? Watch

Chemist123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I really do not want to let myself down. I feel really guilty when I do stuff that is not revision.
Smart_Cookie_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You'll probably burn out
Last edited by Smart_Cookie_; 3 weeks ago
Incarcarus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Chemist123)
I really do not want to let myself down. I feel really guilty when I do stuff that is not revision.
You cannot revise 15 hours a day...
Make sure you get together what you have to learn and start now, and don't procrastinate.
Anonymouspsych
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lmao, is that enough?

For gcses you can afford to do revision a few days before the exams and that would be enough lol
sotor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you shouldnt feel guilty if you do something that isnt revision, if you dont keep up with your hobbies and things you enjoy doing you will just burn out and forget who you are

15 hours is way too much. do something like 4-5 and make sure it is efficient, active revision
GreenCub
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's far too much. Seriously.

As you're doing GCSEs you're probably taking about 11 subjects, give or take a few?
I'd suggest creating a revision timetable for the last few weeks before your exams, and revise about 3 or 4 subjects each day. It would usually be more effective to devote several short sessions to each subject rather than 3 or 4 big chunks of time.
Lala143
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Look at Ruby Granger, that's what she did for her A-levels got mostly As(which is unfortunate for how much hard work she had done). She didn't even make it to Oxbridge!
So 40 minutes then a 5//10 minute break is enough (for 3 hours a day).
livjones8120
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
that is TOO MUCH

as an A/A* student (what i got in my gcses) i'd recommend about 6 hours, maybe less or more depending on your natural intelligence but definitely no more than 8 as you'll wear yourself out (think about how many hours of lessons and homework you do, they only give you that many for a reason, any more and it would be unhealthy). instead, the best thing you can do is put aside some you-time, to make sure your mental health is in check because honestly that matters equally in how well you do.
livjones8120
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
actually, less than 6 is the ideal amount, probably more like 4/5. i do 6/7 for my a levels so you definitely don't need to be doing that at gcse level
(Original post by livjones8120)
that is TOO MUCH

as an A/A* student (what i got in my gcses) i'd recommend about 6 hours, maybe less or more depending on your natural intelligence but definitely no more than 8 as you'll wear yourself out (think about how many hours of lessons and homework you do, they only give you that many for a reason, any more and it would be unhealthy). instead, the best thing you can do is put aside some you-time, to make sure your mental health is in check because honestly that matters equally in how well you do.
drystar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm barely even awake for 15 hours a day, how on earth do you do that much??? Don't waste your entire day on revision, you'll burn out before exams have even begun! Make sure to take breaks, and remember - quality, not quantity when it comes to revision.
username4368582
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
it's not how long you revise for ..

learn/revise a topic for say 1/2 an hour then do some practice q's for 20 minutes, take a short break and do this again

6 hours should be enough
Chemist123
Rep:
?
(Original post by livjones8120)
actually, less than 6 is the ideal amount, probably more like 4/5. i do 6/7 for my a levels so you definitely don't need to be doing that at gcse level
I don't know how to explain this but after I revise for like 4 hours I feel like I didn't do much/not enough.

I never feel satisfied and confident. I feel like I could always do more.

So yh I always feel unprepared no matter what I do
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you are revising 15 hours a day, you're not revising effectively at all.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
livjones8120
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
ok i don't want to seem patronising and obviously i don't know you so i might be wrong, but that sounds like you just need to get into the right mindset and be confident. i know from experience, i felt like i knew nothing until i tried a past paper and realised, oh i actually do. so try that maybe? just do a few past papers and you might be surprised
I don't know how to explain this but after I revise for like 4 hours I feel like I didn't do much/not enough.

I never feel satisfied and confident. I feel like I could always do more.

So yh I always feel unprepared no matter what I do
Chemist123
Rep:
?
(Original post by namkeen-kuthi)
it's not how long you revise for ..

learn/revise a topic for say 1/2 an hour then do some practice q's for 20 minutes, take a short break and do this again

6 hours should be enough
How many times should I do this in a day?
username4368582
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How many times should I do this in a day?
try in 2 hour blocks firsst then build it up to a 3 hour block of learn -> practice-> break

so 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening/ afternoon or any other time you can do
bingbong654
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Seriously, you'll go insane.
Go for a walk, mow the lawn... do something... anything but revision
StudyingCat
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's like sprinting a marathon!! I got all a's at nat 5 (Scottish gcse equivalent) and did NOT do 15 hours. In fact, I went on a holiday to Spain for a week during Easter break and whilst I did study on sun loungers, I also spent time at water parks, etc.

Study a LOT but not fifteen hours. No more than five hours a day or your head will explode. Take frequent snack breaks
STEM.lover
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You really don’t need to revise that long, for my GCSE’s I probably did about 10 hours overall for each subject spread over a month. Maybe aim for 3-4 hours a day and work hard whilst in school and revision sessions. The key to doing well is just having good notes and remembering the key facts. Spend 20 minutes reading over a topic and remember it, have a five minute break then test yourself on that topic. Focus on areas you feel weak on and do loads of past paper questions. Revise smart not hard.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
rockyball89
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What 15 hours? Are you alright? I'm doing 6 hours everyday and it's effective. If you do 15 at the end of 4 hours it would get less productive and if you do it everyday you are just gonna burn out, and that would be dangerous because, you may struggle to revise and then pass the exams? Just make sure you Start now! You still can get 9's bro Goodluck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (212)
21.92%
The paper was reasonable (417)
43.12%
Not feeling great about that exam... (185)
19.13%
It was TERRIBLE (153)
15.82%

Watched Threads