English language :( Watch

angrybear247
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
how how how how do you revise for english language are there any good you tubers that you lot can recommend ?? I'm really struggling with language i barely scraped a 4 and i need a 6 to do econ at a levels
Corps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All I can recommend is practice questions, that’s what helped me the most and get your teachers to look over your work as much as possible. I didn’t use many videos but BBC bitesize really helped a lot too.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Munthaliyathe58
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mr Salles helped me move from grade 3 to 5/6 in mocks (aiming for 6 in real exams), also I highly recommend you to print out good amount of exam papers and do them. Here's link to the resources: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Wz...gcfkz9Ng0hYzrt
(Original post by angrybear247)
how how how how do you revise for english language are there any good you tubers that you lot can recommend ?? I'm really struggling with language i barely scraped a 4 and i need a 6 to do econ at a levels
fizzy2007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I use youtube videos and just focus on the questions I get stuck on.
However, I do keep getting a 3 on my exams (I have re sat my English GCSE in year 10, 11 and now in year 12) and I am always like 4 - 7 marks of a 4 can someone please help me for how improve? my SPAG is okay but I am stuck on question 4
fizzy2007
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
English lang is hard for me too. I use Mr.Bruff he is very good
AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 Question 1 - YouTube

Do practice papers and see your weakest points and focus on them
rockyball89
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't mean to sound rude or boastful but english is simple & I'll show you how

Lets say the question is how does the writer describe the storm

And the text says things like the storm whipped Alex face, and pierced through the clouds

Your analysis could be something like this: The writer uses the personification "whipped" to describe the storm as violent and aggressive. This is because, the adjective "whipped" is normally associated with pain, punishment and domestic abuse and this could show how barbaric and sinister the storm is to alex and clearly shows how dangerous it is for him. This is heightened by the writer because he also uses other violent adjectives such as "pierced" and this creates an unsettling atmosphere by evoking terror . As a reader, the choice of words chosen by the writer evokes a feeling of melancholy and depression because, the words highlight the perpetual suffering Alex is going through.

In English I managed to get an 8 (3 marks from 9) last year, so if you need more help message me
Last edited by rockyball89; 1 month ago
syllie19
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I recently got my mocks back and I got a 7 nearly 8 which was a massive improvement from 5 in November. The way I improved was watching Mrs Whelan's videos on youtube; I would go over question specific videos and rewrite her answers and annotate what she did and then basically copy her response to a practice paper. I also made flashcards from Mr.Salles' videos which were helpful before going into the exam hall. I also recommend looking at the mark schemes to see the 'way of writing' that gets you a level 6 because most of the time there's little difference between levels.I really recommend those youtubers!
fizzy2007
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi im getting stuck on the question 4. So let say that the question is "the murderer, Olav, feels no regret or remorse for the murder he's comited" to what extent do you agree?
This is what I have written:
Overall I feel that Olav is trying not let emotions cloud his judgement and is trying hard not to feel regret or remorse by not giving the reader the impression that he is not bothered by the murder.

This is clearly shown when Olav is studying the blood and the snow as he describes the ‘blood would freeze on top’ this gives a concerning message to the reader implying that he has stopped to study the body but does not feel any guilt in killing a man. The writer’s use of imagery can also demonstrate a further unease that Olav has, for “the snow sucked the blood up as it fell, drawing it in under the surface, hiding it.” The image of the blood being hidden from view could reflect Olav’s attitude to the murder as he would rather hide the murder that he has committed then to face his problem. However, Olav’s attitude towards the murder is a bit concerning for the readers. ...

Question 4 is 20 marks and I am trying to think of what Olav is trying to say as he says "...something that made me so talkative all of a sudden"

I don't mean to sound rude or boastful but english is simple & I'll show you how

And the text says things like the storm whipped Alex face, and pierced through the clouds

Your analysis could be something like this: The writer uses the personification "whipped" to describe the storm as violent and aggressive. This is because, the adjective "whipped" is normally associated with pain, punishment and domestic abuse and this could show how barbaric and sinister the storm is to alex and clearly shows how dangerous it is for him. This is heightened by the writer because he also uses other violent adjectives such as "pierced" and this creates an unsettling atmosphere by evoking terror . As a reader, the choice of words chosen by the writer evokes a feeling of melancholy and depression because, the words highlight the perpetual suffering Alex is going through.

In English I managed to get an 8 (3 marks from 9) last year, so if you need more help message me
angrybear247
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tanzil Rahman)
Mr Salles helped me move from grade 3 to 5/6 in mocks (aiming for 6 in real exams), also I highly recommend you to print out good amount of exam papers and do them. Here's link to the resources: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Wz...gcfkz9Ng0hYzrt
thank you so much!!!!!!! i do try and do as many past papers but i don't know how to mark them myself and I think my teacher would get frustrated if i keep giving him papers to mark
angrybear247
Rep:
?
(Original post by syllie19)
I recently got my mocks back and I got a 7 nearly 8 which was a massive improvement from 5 in November. The way I improved was watching Mrs Whelan's videos on youtube; I would go over question specific videos and rewrite her answers and annotate what she did and then basically copy her response to a practice paper. I also made flashcards from Mr.Salles' videos which were helpful before going into the exam hall. I also recommend looking at the mark schemes to see the 'way of writing' that gets you a level 6 because most of the time there's little difference between levels.I really recommend those youtubers!
ahh i haven't heard of Mrs Whelan! i will check out her videos asap.. thank you so much for your help
angrybear247
Rep:
?
thats amazing! well donee i usually struggle much more with section B as i suck at creative writing and descriptions.. any tips???
(Original post by rockyball89)

rockyball89
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So do I. What I do is I "Cheat" on descriptive writing. All I do is revise all the emotions e.g. scared, happy, curious etc, I revise a story plot and get it marked and use lots of language devices and punctuation and get it marked by my teacher. I can't think creatively so what I do is I google story about someone that is scared etc. and I copy it and revise the language and it has been working I got 36/40 by doing this before I was getting 20/40. Try it and it works wonders
thats amazing! well donee i usually struggle much more with section B as i suck at creative writing and descriptions.. any tips???
Rabbit2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would suggest getting yourself a walking dictionary [ i presume you are not a native speaker - if you are, i doubt that he/she could help you, as you have already had 17 or 18 years of exposure to English usage]. Good luck!!
angrybear247
Rep:
?
thats actually so smart i feel so dumb that i haven't thought of this before omg.. thank you so so much for all your help !!! I'm currently doing an english paper 1 right now

(Original post by rockyball89)
So do I. What I do is I "Cheat" on descriptive writing. All I do is revise all the emotions e.g. scared, happy, curious etc, I revise a story plot and get it marked and use lots of language devices and punctuation and get it marked by my teacher. I can't think creatively so what I do is I google story about someone that is scared etc. and I copy it and revise the language and it has been working I got 36/40 by doing this before I was getting 20/40. Try it and it works wonders
fizzy2007
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well, try with the easiest, describing the picture - by breaking your response up into 4 sections and there moving increasingly closer to your focus as you move through the text. However, if you write a story just describe. Here is what I have done:
Their bodies lay like ghoulish mannequins, the esophagus and arteries sticking out like so much corrugated and rubber tubing. It looked as if a special effects team had worked overtime for some Friday the thirteenth movie set, but that smell. That smell could only come from recently slaughtered animals. In this case, the animals were human and their corpses were still warm, the blood thickening but not yet dried on their waxy skin. Some cases took a while to decide if foul play was involved, but this was murder all the way.
fizzy2007
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thanks
username4182454
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Use Mr Bruff On Youtube and he'll literally explain in a concise way what to include in each question to secure the top marks.He also shows examples of "top" answers written which shows you techniques you need to have in your answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMhQ...vJXCxqT-ZzFqAN <-- Paper 1
AQA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtgp...p7PXId4pbldQVq
<--- Paper 2
They are a playlist covering each questions, techniques ,tips and examples
angrybear247
Rep:
?
i will definitely check out his videos,, they're always recommended.. THANK YOUUU

(Original post by A.ahmzz2k03)
Use Mr Bruff On Youtube and he'll literally explain in a concise way what to include in each question to secure the top marks.He also shows examples of "top" answers written which shows you techniques you need to have in your answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMhQ...vJXCxqT-ZzFqAN <-- Paper 1
AQA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtgp...p7PXId4pbldQVq
<--- Paper 2
They are a playlist covering each questions, techniques ,tips and examples
angrybear247
Rep:
?
thats actually incredible.. your mind :0
(Original post by fizzy2007)
Well, try with the easiest, describing the picture - by breaking your response up into 4 sections and there moving increasingly closer to your focus as you move through the text. However, if you write a story just describe. Here is what I have done:
Their bodies lay like ghoulish mannequins, the esophagus and arteries sticking out like so much corrugated and rubber tubing. It looked as if a special effects team had worked overtime for some Friday the thirteenth movie set, but that smell. That smell could only come from recently slaughtered animals. In this case, the animals were human and their corpses were still warm, the blood thickening but not yet dried on their waxy skin. Some cases took a while to decide if foul play was involved, but this was murder all the way.
angrybear247
Rep:
?
i have a question.. wouldn't they be a be able to tell that some of the writing is not your own.. have you ever been caught??
(Original post by rockyball89)So do I. What I do is I "Cheat" on descriptive writing. All I do is revise all the emotions e.g. scared, happy, curious etc, I revise a story plot and get it marked and use lots of language devices and punctuation and get it marked by my teacher. I can't think creatively so what I do is I google story about someone that is scared etc. and I copy it and revise the language and it has been working I got 36/40 by doing this before I was getting 20/40. Try it and it works wonders
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (180)
22.93%
The paper was reasonable (366)
46.62%
Not feeling great about that exam... (146)
18.6%
It was TERRIBLE (93)
11.85%

Watched Threads