15.22%
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

What is this thread about?
This is a vote in the Model House of Commons (MHoC). This item has already been debated in the House, and is now being voted on by MPs. If you're not an MP, please do not vote or comment here, even if you are able to do so!

What is the MHoC?
It's a political role-playing game where we pretend to be the House of Commons, and it's been going since 2005. We have formed parties, we have elections twice a year, and we debate bills and motions just like the real-life parliament. If you want to know more about how the MHoC works, your first port of call is the user manual. If you'd like to get involved and possibly join a party, you want the welcome thread.

VP88 – End the Netting of Bushes, Trees and Hedgerows, barnetlad
Petition: End the netting of bushes, trees and hedgerows

This petition calls for legislation to end the practice in the UK of bushes, trees, hedgerows and some other plants being covered by netting, usually as a precursor to their removal. This is a practice which denies birds nesting space, insects the opportunity to pollinate and therefore reduces biodiversity.

This petition calls upon the Government to introduce legislation to make placing such netting a criminal offence.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nay. Moan about the lack of new housing, then moans about people when they try to build houses. Good one.
CatusStarbright
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
Nay. Moan about the lack of new housing, then moans about people when they try to build houses. Good one.
What's this got to do with building houses?
04MR17
  • Careers Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Absolutely nothing as far as I can see. The houses shall be built regardless of whether the trees are netted before they're removed or not. :iiam:
London090
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is just a massive laugh😂 When I saw this I completely cracked up, I'll be voting Nay. Who proposed this?
04MR17
  • Careers Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by London090)
This is just a massive laugh😂 When I saw this I completely cracked up, I'll be voting Nay. Who proposed this?
barnetlad

I don't get the joke would you please explain what's funny and why you're opposing this?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
London090
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
barnetlad

I don't get the joke would you please explain what's funny and why you're opposing this?
Ahh alright.

I didn't say I thought it was a joke, I merely mentioned how I found it to be particularly humorous. First off since when has netting on bushes, trees and hedgerows become a major issue where in which we see statistics of bird populations plummeting? Secondly how else do you propose we keep birds from eating the fruits off these bushes and trees if no netting is put in place?
Last edited by London090; 4 weeks ago
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A massive laugh you say..... this calls for some jokes.... 😂😛
London090
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
A massive laugh you say..... this calls for some jokes.... 😂😛
It's very easy to make me laugh, so when I see something like this I can't help it. 😂 Forgive me.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's very easy to make me laugh, so when I see something like this I can't help it. 😂 Forgive me.
No need ask for forgiveness, i like people who it’s easy to make laugh. Good excuse to fire off my terrible jokes. 😂😂
London090
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No need ask for forgiveness, i like people who it’s easy to make laugh. Good excuse to fire off my terrible jokes. 😂😂
Your jokes aren't terrible Andrew in all fairness majority of them truly do make me laugh!!
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Absolutely nothing as far as I can see. The houses shall be built regardless of whether the trees are netted before they're removed or not. :iiam:
One of the most common uses of netting is near to building sites, to prevent disrupting wildlife later down the line, after they have settled, netting forces them to find somewhere else. Thus, is in the best interests of all.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The reason this petition has been brought up (I suspect), is recently 'netting' got into the news because house builders are netting bushes so no wildlife is attracted to them and therefore they can build houses quicker. If the hedges are inhabited then they cannot build obiously.

Maybe read up on things? It isn't hard.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/...er-complaints/
https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry...ury-wiltshire/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-47879508
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47787278
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47627749
https://www.meltontimes.co.uk/news/c...life-1-8891254
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-47886345
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ilding-rebuked
Last edited by SoggyCabbages; 4 weeks ago
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Aye - reasoning explained in the debate.
London090
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Still none of you have responded to my point, on how you plan to keep birds from eating fresh produce (fruit) off trees and bushes if they're not netted?
Last edited by London090; 4 weeks ago
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The Right Honourable Lad for Barnet raises a very important issue and I fully support the petition.
04MR17
  • Careers Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Still none of you have responded to my point, on how you plan to keep birds from eating fresh produce (fruit) off trees and bushes if they're not netted?
By welcoming them into Morrisons instead?
I don't understand why fruit is the problem here:question:
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Use a cat.
CatusStarbright
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
The reason this petition has been brought up (I suspect), is recently 'netting' got into the news because house builders are netting bushes so no wildlife is attracted to them and therefore they can build houses quicker. If the hedges are inhabited then they cannot build obiously.

Maybe read up on things? It isn't hard.
The articles I have read have discussed netting being used before removing the thing being netted.
Use a cat.
Reporting for duty!
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The articles I have read have discussed netting being used before removing the thing being netted.

Reporting for duty!
Excellent, we need you to track down all birds in the county. (Ie find their location) I’m calling the idea Cat-nav
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (516)
26.27%
The paper was reasonable (857)
43.64%
Not feeling great about that exam (383)
19.5%
It was TERRIBLE (208)
10.59%

Watched Threads