The Student Room Group

AQA A-level English Language Paper 1 7702/12 20 May 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

The way I do it is: Q1: 5 mins annotating Text A - 25min writing, I end up writing roughly 2- 2 1/2 pages. Q2: Same for text B, 5 min plan/annotate 25min write approx 2- 2 1/2 pages.Q3: Half an hour writing my comparison, usually pick up on two similarities and two differences in meaning and rep and how language is used to cause that. Write about 2 and 1/2 pages.Q4: 1 hr - answering CLA question incorporating as many theories, concepts and evaluations and manage to write anywhere from 2-4 pages depending on the question!
Original post by ADEEL1707
How many sides of A4 would be sufficient for questions 1 and 2. My teacher told me I tend to write too much and I won’t have that much time in the exam. Assuming I have medium sized handwriting would 2 and a 1/2 sides for question 1 and 2 and a 1/2 for question 2 be enough? Question 3 is a comparison 20 marks so 2 sides for that? I’m honestly dreading running out of time as usually I tend to write 4 sides for each question which I know I can’t do in the exam. But then again I don’t want to write to little aswell
Thank you so Much
Original post by Aleveler123
The way I do it is: Q1: 5 mins annotating Text A - 25min writing, I end up writing roughly 2- 2 1/2 pages. Q2: Same for text B, 5 min plan/annotate 25min write approx 2- 2 1/2 pages.Q3: Half an hour writing my comparison, usually pick up on two similarities and two differences in meaning and rep and how language is used to cause that. Write about 2 and 1/2 pages.Q4: 1 hr - answering CLA question incorporating as many theories, concepts and evaluations and manage to write anywhere from 2-4 pages depending on the question!
how is everyone feeling? I’ve got up an hour earlier to get in some last minute revision.
Best of luck to you all, just remember stay focused and do your best as it’s all anyone can ask of you 😊
Good luck to everyone - these exams don't define you, and just remember to take a breath and just try your best x
That was alright. I think the language over time question was the easier one. Identity was kind of difficult honestly.
The CLA statement was a bit dodgy imo as I was like “what theories should I use” but I managed to answer it sufficiently.

What theories did people use?
Hmm I didn’t massively mind that paper! Did the spoken CLA question . So glad it wasn’t as bad as last year
What did everyone write for child development depends on context or whatever it was? I put a paragraph for Usage Based theory - tomasello but I don’t think that was right
I used social interaction theorists like Piaget, Bruner and Tomasello , with the genie study.

And then for the other side of the argument, Chomsky, Pinker and the Wug Test.

Original post by ismailuddin20401
The CLA statement was a bit dodgy imo as I was like “what theories should I use” but I managed to answer it sufficiently.

That’s exactly what I did. Don’t worry!
Original post by anyalouisee
What did everyone write for child development depends on context or whatever it was? I put a paragraph for Usage Based theory - tomasello but I don’t think that was right
Original post by ismailuddin20401

ZPD, Piaget, Lenneburg, Chomsky, skinner, Haliday, Dore and the Jim case study by Sachs et al
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 51
Guys I was soooooo confident I was doing well in section A then child language came along and messed me up
I messed up the first section, but I think I did alright in the CLA.

I timed it awfully, ended up spending way too long on question 1 and not enough time on question 2 and 3.

What did everyone write for questions 1,2 and 3?
Thought that was a great paper! Liked the fact I was writing my own name in the CLA bit haha 😊 I used Bruner, Vygotsky and Skinner, and then Chomsky for the opposition
What were some of the differences and similarities in the texts for question 3. I put difference was the discourse structure. Don’t know why but I think I got it wrong 😕
I used Piaget, discussed transcript virtuous errors, cluster reduction and rescorla overextension to show importance of caregiver over context using Katamba, used nelson and blooms in relation to needing different contexts to name new objects. Does this sound okay? I came out thinking I should’ve discussed ZPD and Genie/Jim.
Reply 56
I used the time it was written and mode as a difference, and for a similarity I did that they were both to inform the reader as the purpose?
That's pretty much the same as what I did.

G - genre.
A - audience, text a is for a world wide audience even with the London title and text b is limited to the london audience.
P - purpose of both texts, A to discuss opinion and B to inform.

Graphology - text A uses multi modality and text B uses columns to fit as many words as possible as printing each word costs money.

What were some of the differences and similarities in the texts for question 3. I put difference was the discourse structure. Don’t know why but I think I got it wrong 😕
You can’t say much about the time it was written though? I just briefly mentioned the difference in time. Maybe 1 paragraph it wasn’t part of my main points as there’s not much u can say
Honestly I just realised i kept saying "pages". I meant sides loool I know its of no use now but I hope it went really well. :smile:
Thank you so Much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending