Emiliexx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi everyone,

So I didn’t get into vet med for the 2nd year running. I applied for 2018 entry and again for 2019. I’m currently
On a gap year working as an Animal nursing assistant in a veterinary centre (started in 2015 working part time while doing my GCSEs and A-levels). I will be going to uni in September 2019 but I am unsure what to do now! I have thought about doing veterinary nursing now or veterinary physiotherapy. I was hoping someone else was in this situation to? I’m not sure there is anyway into vet med now apart from post grad? Any help much appreciated.
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you haven’t got in this year despite the grades and the experience, that suggests it’s coming down to the interview (if you’re getting them) or personal statement (if you’re not) or potentially your UKCAT. Those are all things that you can work on and which should reasonably improve by next year. It’s probably worth one more throw of the dice but maybe also pick up some study option next year as well, just to keep your mind sharp and to give yourself something extra to talk about. Maybe even another A level.

Maybe get your current manager/employer to interview you and give you some pointers. Can’t hurt.
Emiliexx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Thanks for the reply. I got an interview last year but not this year as they wanted an A in one of my exams. I did have the grades overall though. When I rang them they said they had to look st individual exam results due to having a lot of applicants. My veterinary surgeons have helped me loads with my personal statement! It was re drafted and checked about 15 times! They have given me loads of pointers. I’m stuck now though as the uni’s have said I can only apply twice which I already have done
(Original post by giella)
If you haven’t got in this year despite the grades and the experience, that suggests it’s coming down to the interview (if you’re getting them) or personal statement (if you’re not) or potentially your UKCAT. Those are all things that you can work on and which should reasonably improve by next year. It’s probably worth one more throw of the dice but maybe also pick up some study option next year as well, just to keep your mind sharp and to give yourself something extra to talk about. Maybe even another A level.

Maybe get your current manager/employer to interview you and give you some pointers. Can’t hurt.
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you want to send me a PM I'll give you my email so you can send me all your exam results, where you applied to last year (and if interviewed or not) and where you applied to this year, I am happy to have a look at it all and advise you accordingly.
(Original post by Emiliexx)
Thanks for the reply. I got an interview last year but not this year as they wanted an A in one of my exams. I did have the grades overall though. When I rang them they said they had to look st individual exam results due to having a lot of applicants. My veterinary surgeons have helped me loads with my personal statement! It was re drafted and checked about 15 times! They have given me loads of pointers. I’m stuck now though as the uni’s have said I can only apply twice which I already have done
JayJ2001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Emiliexx)
Hi everyone,

So I didn’t get into vet med for the 2nd year running. I applied for 2018 entry and again for 2019. I’m currently
On a gap year working as an Animal nursing assistant in a veterinary centre (started in 2015 working part time while doing my GCSEs and A-levels). I will be going to uni in September 2019 but I am unsure what to do now! I have thought about doing veterinary nursing now or veterinary physiotherapy. I was hoping someone else was in this situation to? I’m not sure there is anyway into vet med now apart from post grad? Any help much appreciated.
I'd suggest choosing another course that is similar to your vet course.
hi_imcatherine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I am planning to apply for the second time this coming October... what sort of things did you change from your first application? I’m not sure I’ll be able to get much work experience over the summer as they book up so early. I’m worried that an identical application will be a waste of my time
VMD100
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by hi_imcatherine)
I am planning to apply for the second time this coming October... what sort of things did you change from your first application? I’m not sure I’ll be able to get much work experience over the summer as they book up so early. I’m worried that an identical application will be a waste of my time
Did you get interviews on your first try? If not applying with an identical application is unlikely to be fruitful
Work experience is crucial even if you have enough on paper as it may give you that well rounded view that allows you to impress at interview.
hi_imcatherine
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by VMD100)
Did you get interviews on your first try? If not applying with an identical application is unlikely to be fruitful
Work experience is crucial even if you have enough on paper as it may give you that well rounded view that allows you to impress at interview.
I got interviews at Cambridge and Edinburgh. Bristol rejected me a couple weeks ago (with no interview). I forgot to send in the wex form for the RVC so i deserved a rejection from them of course.
VMD100
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I got interviews at Cambridge and Edinburgh. Bristol rejected me a couple weeks ago (with no interview). I forgot to send in the wex form for the RVC so i deserved a rejection from them of course.
In that case I would definitely say it is worth reapplying - some universities offer feedback as to interview performance so it may be worth finding what Cambridge and Edinburgh's policy is on this and requesting it if possible.
hi_imcatherine
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by VMD100)
In that case I would definitely say it is worth reapplying - some universities offer feedback as to interview performance so it may be worth finding what Cambridge and Edinburgh's policy is on this and requesting it if possible.
I have already got my feedback from Cambridge and Edinburgh. Bristol didn’t reply to my request for it. I know what I need to do differently.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I have already got my feedback from Cambridge and Edinburgh. Bristol didn’t reply to my request for it. I know what I need to do differently.
Are you applying for VetMed for a third time then, or still thinking about an alternative subject to read?
hi_imcatherine
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Are you applying for VetMed for a third time then, or still thinking about an alternative subject to read?
I’m not thinking about an alternative subject at all. This October will be my 2nd application. I came on this thread to ask what the people who have already applied twice changed in their 2nd application.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I’m not thinking about an alternative subject at all. This October will be my 2nd application. I came on this thread to ask what the people who have already applied twice changed in their 2nd application.
Oh right - I see.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (76)
23.68%
No (245)
76.32%

Watched Threads