All unis require physics to study software engineering, i dropped it last year! Watch

Bidex
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I'm so stressed. I'm 17 and I started looking for universities last week on Friday. I haven't found a single uni that doesn't require physics as an A Level and unfortunately as you can tell by the title, I dropped physics this year. I need guidance, help, encouragement, everything. Was/is anyone in my current situation?
EDIT: Title is wrong. I dropped physics this year
Last edited by Bidex; 4 months ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
In the UK there are loads of CS (likewise software engineering) courses that don't require physics - most of them, that I know of. A-level Maths however is usually required, although the extent to which this gets used and/or developed in the course varies somewhat.

Computer engineering (similarly electronic/electrical/information engineering, although the former two are a lot broader; the latter is more or less just a different name for comp engineering)on the other hand, probably will require both A-level Physics and A-level Maths. That's because it's a totally different area of study than the above, focusing on the electrical and electronic engineering principles of computers - i.e. it's a course in the engineering of computer hardware, generally. You do need some physics background for that, although the parts of A-level Physics that are relevant seem to be the most poorly understood sections of the syllabus by prospective students anyway...

Acsel and Blue_Cow might be able to offer some input on the above, although I think the issue is you need to do more research into the different areas of academia that relate to computers and computing and that you are currently searching for the wrong courses for what you are interested in.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 months ago
Afterlife?
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Are you sure you mean software engineering?
A quick search : Manchester Uni- https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/u...e-engineering/

Imperial - http://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/...eng-computing/

Both only need maths

Do you mean something like EEE? For example imperial - http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/c...y-requirements
Bidex
Rep:
?
Hey, thanks for your replies well, I'm really interested in software developing, programming... so it's either software engineering or computer science.
(Original post by artful_lounger)
In the UK there are loads of CS (likewise software engineering) courses that don't require physics - most of them, that I know of. A-level Maths however is usually required, although the extent to which this gets used and/or developed in the course varies somewhat.

Computer engineering (similarly electronic/electrical/information engineering, although the former two are a lot broader; the latter is more or less just a different name for comp engineering) on the other hand, probably will require both A-level Physics and A-level Maths. That's because it's a totally different area of study than the above, focusing on the electrical and electronic engineering principles of computers - i.e. it's a course in the engineering of computer hardware, generally. You do need some physics background for that, although the parts of A-level Physics that are relevant seem to be the most poorly understood sections of the syllabus by prospective students anyway...

Acsel and Blue_Cow might be able to offer some input on the above, although I think the issue is you need to do more research into the different areas of academia that relate to computers and computing and that you are currently searching for the wrong courses for what you are interested in.
(Original post by Afterlife?)
Are you sure you mean software engineering?
A quick search : Manchester Uni- https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/u...e-engineering/

Imperial - http://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/...eng-computing/

Both only need maths

Do you mean something like EEE? For example imperial - http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/c...y-requirements
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Bidex)
Hey, thanks for your replies well, I'm really interested in software developing, programming... so it's either software engineering or computer science.
Yes, neither of which are degrees that require A-level Physics at the vast majority (if not totality) of UK universities.
Bidex
Rep:
?
Yes, neither of which are degrees that require A-level Physics at the vast majority (if not totality) of UK universities.
I've realized that Canadian universities are a lot more demanding which sucks. But my parents don't want me to go to the UK because it's really expensive as I'm an international student.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Bidex)
I've realized that Canadian universities are a lot more demanding which sucks. But my parents don't want me to go to the UK because it's really expensive as I'm an international student.
So are you applying to universities in Canada only? Most responses on here will be with regard to UK universities, as the majority of users here studying in or applying to study in the UK.

I'm not super familiar with Canadian university admissions, although I believe at least some Canadian universities have a similar model to US colleges - in that case presumably there shouldn't be many specific requirements and you ought to be able to start physics once you begin the course? Otherwise you might be able to spend a year or two at a community college or something to cover the physics content you've missed.

Perhaps speak with your school to see if there is any way you can ameliorate the issue e.g. taking an intensive class next year or over the summer or something.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Bidex)
Looks like UBC wants

Mathematics (A or AS Level)
Chemistry (GCSE or A or AS Level)
Physics (GCSE or A or AS Level; may be waived with grades of A in A-Level Math and A-Level Chemistry)
for it's BSc computer science course https://you.ubc.ca/ubc_programs/comp...vancouver-bsc/

Though I'm not sure how Canadian unis work tbh
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Everything I'd have said has already been covered. Primarily that:

Software Engineering =/= CompSci and I'm not sure why someone would try to pigeonhole their degree at this stage
Tons of unis in the UK don't require Physics, but there's very limited advice we can offer with regard to international unis
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?