Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ilikebigboottys)
bumppp
Bumppp >: )

Okidoke.

I assume you've done the first part fine.

For the second part, the charge on the capacitor remains constant as you move the plates apart.

Thus, charge is "conserved" as it were.

Separation is constant.

As you remove the dielectric from the capacitor, the relative permittivity of the space within the capacitor reduces, and as such, the capacitance decreases.

If the capacitance decreases, but charge remains constant, what quantity increases, can you form an equation to solve for that?

(Sorry for the dirty reply, but, it should help! I'm off to bed, it's 00:38 and I literally have a mountain load to study. There is literally a meter high mountain of books, on my bed. That's how much there is to do.)

Another Edit
I assume that you know the equation relating permittivity and the capacitance for a plane-plate conducting capacitor like this one...

If not, then it's safe to assume that the electric field strength within the capacitor and hence the potential difference across it is inversely proportional to the relative permittivity K, which you have been given.
Last edited by Callicious; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (125)
28.34%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.15%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.3%
No - I live at home during term anyway (130)
29.48%

Watched Threads