Pre med Watch

ryanvir
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I am in Year 12 and my Predicted for A level are A*AA in bio chem physics and my GCSE’s aren’t too good they’re 87766665554
But I’m retaking maths and English which I got a 5 and 4 in and am predicted 88 but i want to know if I do a pre med year at somewhere like Dundee or whatever will it help me get in? Like what can I do to help me get into medicine or dentistry?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Most medicine foundation years, including the one you mentioned, are for widening access students only - if you don't meet their widening access criteria/have appropriate contextual flags on your application then you likely won't be considered. A few do consider non-widening access students, but these are almost always designed for "subject changer" students who did not take biology and chemistry. Either way, I don't think this is a route that you should be spending time investigating.

Not all medical schools assess GCSEs heavily; some put very little weight on them (e.g. Cambridge). You need to do research to find the universities which you are best suited to apply to tactically. You need to look at how they assess applications (virtually every UK medical school includes fairly detailed information about their methodology on their websites) and find the ones which you are most likely to get an offer from. This will also depend on e.g. how well you do on the UKCAT or how well you think you've done on the BMAT (since you won't get the results from the BMAT till after you apply, this involves a bit of self reflection).
ryanvir
Rep:
?
https://www.buckingham.ac.uk/pg-medi...e,%201%20year)

What about something like this? It says it’s to enhance your application
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ryanvir
Rep:
?
So
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ryanvir)
https://www.buckingham.ac.uk/pg-medi...e,%201%20year)

What about something like this? It says it’s to enhance your application
If you don't quote someone's post or tag them in as so: ryanvir, they won't see your reply unless they look in their watched threads (which not all people do).

Aside from that, the other medicine foundation programmes discussed are integrated programmes which have defined progression routes into the medical degree in question, subject to performance in exams etc. The Buckingham course is wholly standalone, and has no such connections, so you would be applying in open competition with other school leavers. I've also heard some mixed reports of the university and their courses overall...

I'm not aware of any medical schools having any kind of preference (and certainly no requirement) for students to do any post-6th form qualification to prepare if they did take A-level Biology and Chemistry. Additionally, quite a few medical courses don't consider students who have undertaken any degree level study elsewhere unless they have appropriate extenuating circumstances - and those that do often indicate they "prefer" would-be applicants to complete the degree and apply afterwards as a graduate applicant.

Frankly, I don't see why you are considering such courses at all. You are as eligible to apply to medicine as anyone else, and the process of researching the different medical courses to find the set which you are best qualified to is part and parcel of the process of applying to medicine. It doesn't take a great deal of time (there are only ~30 medical schools in the UK) and there are plenty of threads and articles on TSR and elsewhere discussing those which focus more or less on GCSEs to help you start out (you can probably rule out Oxford to start with).

ecolier or nexttime may know more about the Buckingham course or various foundation options, as well as medicine more generally. However I think there is a minimum requirement for you to take it upon yourself to do some research yourself into the medicine courses you would be qualified to apply to (e.g. Cambridge, as mentioned before, might be an option if you are confident you will do/have done well in the BMAT next year).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%