The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

London slang? General British(maybe more so English) colloquialisms?
Original post by Nikov
Hey, I'm from Brazil and I want to learn some slang.

Wag1 get out of my endz or I'll chef you :cool:

Note to mods: Please don't punish me because the OP wanted to know some slang so I'm telling them some slang. None of this is meant to be rude or cause offence or harm to anybody in any way
(edited 4 years ago)
That's dead slang. If u want to learn slang op just reply to me cuh I know bare slang.
Heres just a few:

Long; as in "let's go to the cinema"
"Nah that's long man"
This word can be used to describe something to be unnecessary or time consuming.

Shotty; as in "Shotty long bro"
Referring to a shotgun but I doubt you'll ever need to use that

Bare; as in "that's bare long man"
Bare can mean ' A lot of, in excess of'. It can also mean the opposite but in slang terms it means to have a lot of something such as bare money or bare girls ( alot of money, a lot of girls)

Original post by thestudent33
Wag1 get out of my endz or I'll chef you :cool:

Note to mods: Please don't punish me because the OP wanted to know some slang so I'm telling them some slang. None of this is meant to be rude or cause offence or harm to anybody in any way
Original post by Anonymous
That's dead slang. If u want to learn slang op just reply to me cuh I know bare slang.
Heres just a few:

Long; as in "let's go to the cinema"
"Nah that's long man"
This word can be used to describe something to be unnecessary or time consuming.

Shotty; as in "Shotty long bro"
Referring to a shotgun but I doubt you'll ever need to use that

Bare; as in "that's bare long man"
Bare can mean ' A lot of, in excess of'. It can also mean the opposite but in slang terms it means to have a lot of something such as bare money or bare girls ( alot of money, a lot of girls)

What's dead slang, slang is slang
Wot the fok did ye just say 2 me m8? i dropped out of newcastle primary skool im the sickest bloke ull ever meet & ive nicked ova 300 chocolate globbernaughts frum tha corner shop. im trained in street fitin' & im the strongest foker in tha entire newcastle gym. yer nothin to me but a cheeky lil ******* w/ a fit mum & fakebling. ill waste u and smash a fokin bottle oer yer head bruv, i swer 2 christ. ya think u can fokin run ya gabber at me whilst sittin on yer arse behind a lil screen? think again wanka. im callin me homeboys rite now preparin for a proper scrap. A roomble thatll make ur nan sore jus hearin about it. yer a waste bruv. me crew be all over tha place & ill beat ya to a proper fokin pulp with me fists wanka. if i aint satisfied w/ that ill borrow me m8s cricket paddle & see if that gets u the fok out o' newcastle ya daft ****. if ye had seen this bloody fokin mess commin ye might a' kept ya gabber from runnin. but it seems yea stupid lil ****, innit? ima ****e fury & ull drown in it m8. ur ina proper mess knob.
Reply 6
no
I’m a 21 year old Brit and I have no idea what any of the above means.
Original post by thestudent33
What's dead slang, slang is slang

He means the slang is essentially out of date and has evolved. No one really uses "wagwan" anymore in London as far as I have seen. Chef is another term I haven't heard too much when it comes to 'shanking' people. Interestingly enough- the term "dead" itself is slang- and in this scenario it just means the slang is expired and not used much.
Original post by Kilam_Namoan
He means the slang is essentially out of date and has evolved. No one really uses "wagwan" anymore in London as far as I have seen. Chef is another term I haven't heard too much when it comes to 'shanking' people. Interestingly enough- the term "dead" itself is slang- and in this scenario it just means the slang is expired and not used much.

Depends where you live, in my area we pretty much use all those words, as well as new slang
Original post by Obolinda
London slang? General British(maybe more so English) colloquialisms?

London slang is actually just Jamaican mixed with English tbh.
Pattern up = fix up
fam = friend (find this word cringe personally)
bruv (this is also cringe)
mandem = group of boys (if u aboy say this)
gyaldem = gyal squad

my fav line is:
Its a bit of a sticky one stilllllllllll
im supposed to be revising;/
hey OP !

when you go to London you will find that most people there speak in "rhyming slang". they love to go to the "leaky tub" for a glass of "laugh and titter". then they gather round the "George Melly" to watch Eastenders. they like to chat about how much the value of their "rat and mouse" has increased since breakfast. if it has gone up by less than a "bag of sand" they feel "Auntie Glad" and may give their partner a good "West Riding".

hope that helps.

the "Apple and Pear"

:bear:
Original post by realistorange
London slang is actually just Jamaican mixed with English tbh.

Yes, I know. :h:
nah bruv what you saying, it's calm init
I doubt he will be interacting with people who speak like that. When he said slang he means urban slang not cockney loooool.

You're washed mate fully dun out here
Original post by the bear
hey OP !

when you go to London you will find that most people there speak in "rhyming slang". they love to go to the "leaky tub" for a glass of "laugh and titter". then they gather round the "George Melly" to watch Eastenders. they like to chat about how much the value of their "rat and mouse" has increased since breakfast. if it has gone up by less than a "bag of sand" they feel "Auntie Glad" and may give their partner a good "West Riding".

hope that helps.

the "Apple and Pear"

:bear:
gyaldem: the girls
mandem: the guys
at lunchtime the Londoners like nothing more than a jellied "Andrew Neill" with some tasty "Pirate's tache".

Latest