The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 English Lit&Lang Unit 5 - Wider Reading & Unit 6 - Genre Studies

Is aaanyone doing these exams?! Im so happy unit 5 is open book! im tryna prepare for unit 6 by doing past papers but i forgot how you set it out! i havent done an essay in years! been revisin for my other subs a lot more :s how are you lot preparin

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
aaanyone?
yeah i am what text u doiung for friday?
Reply 3
hey i teach myself as i dropped out of college...i have an edexcel poetry anytholody...which is for Unit 5 right?? and also am i allowed to make small annontations on the poems and take this in 2 the exams...quik someone reply as exam is tomorrow!!!!
i dont know about what ur doing but we can bring in the book annontated tomorrow!!!!!!!
Reply 5
k well unit 5 is tomorrow ryt?? and that is the poetry one aswell right?? but i'm taking in a edexcel anthology poetry book so i can have it annotated yeah??cus u myt b doing it on Chaucer?? but basically anyone doing the exam tomorrow can have it annotated....................
yeh im doing chaucer and translations(unit 5)
Reply 7
how was the exam peoples!
we cant chat about this til tomorrow11:00 ill save my questions for u guys till then....
Hey

So my English teacher obviously got confused about what material we were allowed to bring into the exam. I went into the exam with an annotated poetry anthology, which was then taken off me and I was given a clean copy. And once I read the paper I realised I could have my Translations book as it referred to an extract and gave specific page numbers in the text.

Anyone know what I was actually meant to have with me?
Danielle1880
Hey

So my English teacher obviously got confused about what material we were allowed to bring into the exam. I went into the exam with an annotated poetry anthology, which was then taken off me and I was given a clean copy. And once I read the paper I realised I could have my Translations book as it referred to an extract and gave specific page numbers in the text.

Anyone know what I was actually meant to have with me?

man i dunno wtf ur exam board is. edexcel ur allowed an anotated copy where else u gonna get the info from.
i thught the questions were quite easy. who did chaucer i did 1a the comedy and seriousness and translations language is the root of all power. i think i did brilliantly on the first, but due to bad timing i dont think translations was any higher then a bloody c. what did u guys say about translations, i tried to construct an argument by sayin well there are elements that show language to be a source of power but there are instances where this does not appear to be the case e.g. convo with yolland and maire act 2 their inability to understand each other. its an example of niether languages having any power........what about u guys???????????????????????????????
But were we allowed to take in an annotated copy of the anthology or did it have to be just the plain text? I am going to be so angry if we were allowed to because I completely messed up my poetry answer (the one on the metaphysics' provoking and persuading their audience through a logical argument).

I also did the Translations 'language is the root of all power' essay. Also argued both sides. Said a lot about how Owen has authority because he is bilingual. I said that English has power because it is the language of commerce. eh I said a lot of crap actually. nvm...:smile:
im SURE you were allowed to take annotated texts in! we were allowed.. thats actually really unfair for other people that weren't allowed.. i think edexcel should have made it clearer because technically it didn't say it on the paper but then where else would my teacher have got the idea we can take it in.. darn edexcel
Reply 14
Heya! Did anyone do Poetry Anthology and Oleanna? Did you guys have time to finish? How much marks will be taken off me if I have not written a conclusion for second part of the exam? :frown:
wtf r u all chatting about on the front of the edexcel paper it says it clear YOU MUST BRING WITH YOU THE ANNOTATED SET TEXTS YOUVE STUDIES THROUGHT OUT YOUR COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!
wifofito
Heya! Did anyone do Poetry Anthology and Oleanna? Did you guys have time to finish? How much marks will be taken off me if I have not written a conclusion for second part of the exam? :frown:

i didnt write a conclusion for mine. how many pages did you write
serious_man18
wtf r u all chatting about on the front of the edexcel paper it says it clear YOU MUST BRING WITH YOU THE ANNOTATED SET TEXTS YOUVE STUDIES THROUGHT OUT YOUR COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

i sweeeear i didnt see it! shiiiit im blind loool
serious_man18

Jam man. It will all be okay.

This is the instruction on the June 2007 paper: You are required to have the texts you have studied with you in the examination. You are expected to
make close reference to the texts and to quote from them as appropriate, but you are advised not to quote
from them at length and you should not refer the examiners simply to page, act, scene or line references.

Doesn't actually say whether you can have an annotated copy. But if I had my poetry notes in the exam it would have made all the difference to my essay.

For everyone who's saying 'how many marks will they take off if I never did a conclusion?' well they not meant to mark negatively are they? I hope that's how it is for English. I'm going to check the mark scheme and try find out. I never finish English papers no matter what.
same i wonder if they do this positive marking business that aqa does.
im calm man i used a 'well-anontated' text. lol

Latest