reluctantjoy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I asked this question a couple of days ago but everyone thought I was talking about A-levels. I'm talking about university psychology. I've had friends of friends say it's difficult and largely statistical & maths based.

What's your experience so far and would you discourage someone who's not particularly gifted in maths?
barror1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
DrawTheLine should be able to help with this one
iodo345
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by reluctantjoy)
I asked this question a couple of days ago but everyone thought I was talking about A-levels. I'm talking about university psychology. I've had friends of friends say it's difficult and largely statistical & maths based.

What's your experience so far and would you discourage someone who's not particularly gifted in maths?
I am psychology second year at UOL. If you have any questions PM me and I will try to reply back later on or tomorrow as I don't have any time at the moment to respond.
greghayes
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

I'm a second year Psychology student at York. Because we're a russell group uni, there's a fair focus on research methods and experimental design. However, they say that if you get a B in GCSE maths (or whatever the equivalent is now) then they're happy that they'll be able to teach you the skills to be able to keep up. Stats is a big part of psychology as it's how we work out whether what we've studied actually is real or just down to chance. I wouldn't let it put you off though as they do guide you through it quite well and if you're not interested in psychological research as a career then it's not that relevant.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

It's fine and not mathsy! SPSS does all the maths for you, you just need to press some buttons in the right order and that's it.

You'll do basics like social, developmental, neuropsychology, cognitive, individual differences, research methods. And then it depends on your uni what other things you do. But please don't worry about maths - I suck at maths and so far I am on track to pass second year!
StormyOcean
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey I am just finishing my first year at UEA
We did three modules this year, psychology of the individual, self and society &research, design and analysis

Psychology of the individual covered infant and and child development, intelligence and individual differences, biological and cognitive psychology. This was by far my favourite module as I just found everything fascinating. Assessment wise we have two summatives (things that count towards your mark for the year!). One was a 2000 word essay on either developmental psychology of individual differences and the other is an exam at the end of this month on cognitive and biological psychology which is a mixture of multiple choice and an essay.

Self and society was essentially an in depth look into social psychology covering lots of aspects including aggression, social influence, Freud and all sorts. It was really helpful for those who hadn't done psych before as it covered all the basics and gave them a baseline knowledge. 2 assessments, one essay on how to explain and research a specific question regarding a topic we studied and then a thematic analysis (could chose to look at late coming out, online romances or cheating)

Research, design and analysis is where all the maths is. But I hate maths and really struggle with it and have passed every assessment. It essentially prepares you for academic report writing. Through out the year we conducted 4 studies and with help, statistically analysed them and wrote up reports. The lectures went alongside with this teaching us how to analyse things. As DrawtheLine said you do very little maths, you just need to learn where to put numbers in into SPSS and what buttons you need to press then it does all the hard stuff for you
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
All social sciences students moan about SPSS. Many social science students try and avoid maths and are then shocked when basic maths reappears!

Basic stat concepts and have the patience and gumption to be able to play around with a bit of software that isn't that well designed.

No gifted in maths or any nonsense phrase like that.
Last edited by marinade; 10 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (180)
15.33%
Uncertainty around my education (193)
16.44%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (115)
9.8%
Isolating with family (81)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (45)
3.83%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (99)
8.43%
Loneliness (114)
9.71%
Financial worries (52)
4.43%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (109)
9.28%
Exposure to negative news/social media (86)
7.33%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (100)
8.52%

Watched Threads