Teegs2001
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys looking for a bit of advice,
I've firmed my offer for a pre med year at a nearby university that's 45 minutes away from home ( I don't drive so it will be public transport for me) and I'm trying to decide whether or not to move out.

I'll be 17 for the first few months of uni and also have a chronic illness that i manage myself, my parents are very protective and I'm not usually allowed out past the nearby city where I will be attending. I feel like I'm ready to move out but i don't know if its worth all the hype.

At home I have my own room and my parents work from 7 till 5 most days. I also have my dog ( probably the biggest reason I dont know if i want to leave) and my parents said they will help me redo my room if i stay home. My 2 closest friends are staying home as well although we are all attending different uni's. Buses run regularly till 1am from the city to my town, although the stop is still a 20 minute walk from home.

All the accommodation at my uni is self catered and starts at around £6,000 a year so i would need a student loan of at least £10,000 a year ( I'm a Scottish student so our uni bills are covered for us).

If I moved out I would still be able to go home at weekends etc, and living at the uni would allow me to make new friends ( I look like I'm 13 and I'm a bit awkward when it comes to making new friends).

My main issue is that my offer is conditional of ABBB to include a B in biology and chemistry and i'm worried about putting the deposit down and then not getting in.

My sister wants me to move out and me and my parents don't get along very well, so I don't know what to do really.

Any advice would be helpful
Steph4
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you don't get the grades you needed and you didnt get into the uni the deposit that you paid is normally refunded if you contact the accommodation team. I'm also a scottish student so i was 17 for the first couple months at uni too but i attend a university in Wales where everyone was already 18 and it didnt bother me that much, it only meant that i had to sneak into pubs and get other people to order for me and that i couldnt get into clubs etc. a 45 minute commute is quite a lot and have you thought about the price for transport everyday compared to just moving out? If you want to move out you definitely should. It would allow you to make loads more friends being in halls and like you said you could still go home at the weekends to visit friends and family. Also i dont think its possible to get a £10000 loan from saas, i think the maximum is around £7500 including a maintenance loan and bursary which you dont have to pay back if your parents make less than £22000 a year, which would be more than enough to pay for rent but you may need to get a job to pay for everything else. Living in halls is such a big part of being at university and i wouldn't have met most of my friends if i didn't.

Hope this was at least a little helpful 😂
Teegs2001
Rep:
?
Thanks, I'm not eligible for a bursary from SAAS (my parents won't help either) so from what I've heard i have to get a student loan from a bank Thankyou x
(Original post by Steph4)
If you don't get the grades you needed and you didnt get into the uni the deposit that you paid is normally refunded if you contact the accommodation team. I'm also a scottish student so i was 17 for the first couple months at uni too but i attend a university in Wales where everyone was already 18 and it didnt bother me that much, it only meant that i had to sneak into pubs and get other people to order for me and that i couldnt get into clubs etc. a 45 minute commute is quite a lot and have you thought about the price for transport everyday compared to just moving out? If you want to move out you definitely should. It would allow you to make loads more friends being in halls and like you said you could still go home at the weekends to visit friends and family. Also i dont think its possible to get a £10000 loan from saas, i think the maximum is around £7500 including a maintenance loan and bursary which you dont have to pay back if your parents make less than £22000 a year, which would be more than enough to pay for rent but you may need to get a job to pay for everything else. Living in halls is such a big part of being at university and i wouldn't have met most of my friends if i didn't.

Hope this was at least a little helpful 😂
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I stayed at home for University and I kind of regret it, sort of. I'm pretty introverted, but that doesn't mean I don't love having friendships, and to be honest I don't have any at University lol, because of not moving out mainly I think. It's also probably because I haven't made much of an effort (my mental health wasn't great prior) but staying home doesn't guarantee you a Uni life of loneliness; I know people who didn't get along with their flatmates in halls so they made friends with people on their course, and societies. It just requires more effort to make friends when you stay at home, so keep that in mind.
You said you have a chronic illness so that's of course something to think about, if a change in environment would effect your ability to manage it. My commute is about the same - 30 - 40 mins - it is a bit of a pain and it does compromise my motivation to attend lectures. That being said, you do save a hell of a lot more money staying home. So there are both pros and cons to it.
Teegs2001
Rep:
?
Thankyou x
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I stayed at home for University and I kind of regret it, sort of. I'm pretty introverted, but that doesn't mean I don't love having friendships, and to be honest I don't have any at University lol, because of not moving out mainly I think. It's also probably because I haven't made much of an effort (my mental health wasn't great prior) but staying home doesn't guarantee you a Uni life of loneliness; I know people who didn't get along with their flatmates in halls so they made friends with people on their course, and societies. It just requires more effort to make friends when you stay at home, so keep that in mind.
You said you have a chronic illness so that's of course something to think about, if a change in environment would effect your ability to manage it. My commute is about the same - 30 - 40 mins - it is a bit of a pain and it does compromise my motivation to attend lectures. That being said, you do save a hell of a lot more money staying home. So there are both pros and cons to it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (199)
57.68%
I don't have everything I need (146)
42.32%

Watched Threads