Speaker's Statement: EU Referendum Watch

Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Speaker's Statement: EU Referendum

I'm now able to share further details and the timeline for the EU referendum. This will be contested between three options: accept the deal as negotiated by the RL UK government, leave the EU with no deal, or remain in the EU. There will therefore be three campaigns, each of which will be given a campaign subforum.

The timeline for the referendum will be as follows:

Wednesday 17th April: Nominations open for campaign chairs
Sunday 21st April: Election of campaign chairs begins (or as soon afterwards as the subforums are running)
Sunday 28th April: 'Ask the campaigns' open debate thread, with CT promotion
Wednesday 1st May: Voting opens, with CT promotion, beginning in the evening and rolling into RL polling day on the Thursday
Sunday 5th May: Voting closes, with verification hopefully on the Monday

The intention is for each campaign to elect a pair of campaign chairs. Applications are now open for those roles, and any member wishing to stand should PM me a short manifesto of no longer than 300 words. This should be text only: formatting on the TSR text editor is allowed but no images, videos, etc. Manifestos should be to me by 6pm on Sunday (21st April). Voting will begin after rthat, or as soon as the subforums are ready.
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Speaker's Statement: EU Referendum

I'm now able to share further details and the timeline for the EU referendum. This will be contested between three options: accept the deal as negotiated by the RL UK government, leave the EU with no deal, or remain in the EU. There will therefore be three campaigns, each of which will be given a campaign subforum.

The timeline for the referendum will be as follows:

Wednesday 17th April: Nominations open for campaign chairs
Sunday 21st April: Election of campaign chairs begins (or as soon afterwards as the subforums are running)
Sunday 28th April: 'Ask the campaigns' open debate thread, with CT promotion
Wednesday 1st May: Voting opens, with CT promotion, beginning in the evening and rolling into RL polling day on the Thursday
Sunday 5th May: Voting closes, with verification hopefully on the Monday

The intention is for each campaign to elect a pair of campaign chairs. Applications are now open for those roles, and any member wishing to stand should PM me a short manifesto of no longer than 300 words. This should be text only: formatting on the TSR text editor is allowed but no images, videos, etc. Manifestos should be to me by 6pm on Sunday (21st April). Voting will begin after rthat, or as soon as the subforums are ready.
What sub forums will be used?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr T 999)
What sub forums will be used?
New ones are going to be created in the coming days.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Time for people to once again be proven wrong about the value of referendums in the house
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What voting system is going to be used? TSR doesn’t support preferential voting but with three options on the poll, FPTP would deliver a pretty broken result, even if more than one option can be selected
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would like to officially announce my campaign for chair of the No Deal campaign.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jarred)
What voting system is going to be used? TSR doesn’t support preferential voting but with three options on the poll, FPTP would deliver a pretty broken result, even if more than one option can be selected
It will be FPTP, but as the referendum is exceptionally non-binding (an 'indicative vote', if you like) I don't see this as being an issue.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wonder how many remainers pretending to be leavers there will be, basically nobody or half the house
04MR17
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Whilst I don't have time to do more (essays are killing me at the moment) I really would encourage anyone who fancies it to go and lead a campaign. I'll help anyone who wants it. Looking forward to this, after the slight disappointment last time we tried to do this I hope it can be a success.
04MR17
  • Careers Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Time for people to once again be proven wrong about the value of referendums in the house
Do you accept the will of the house? The commons has chosen to have this referendum, you can either sit their grumbling, putting people off getting more involved here or you could stay silent and let the people who want to do this get on with it. Right now, you're helping nobody.
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Looking forward to this
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I will be campaigning for the withdrawal agreement. Of course, as most people here know, I support remain, but it is a much better form of leaving than no deal so I am willing to make that case.
CatusStarbright
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saunders16)
I will be campaigning for the withdrawal agreement. Of course, as most people here know, I support remain, but it is a much better form of leaving than no deal so I am willing to make that case.
Are you planning on going for chair?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Do you accept the will of the house? The commons has chosen to have this referendum, you can either sit their grumbling, putting people off getting more involved here or you could stay silent and let the people who want to do this get on with it. Right now, you're helping nobody.
Right now I'm simply stating probable fact. I will once again remind you of the last few referendums: the last one was cancelled because the CT couldn't be bothered to do their bit right, the one before that saw no new engagement, and the one before that was so long ago as to be irrelevant. When most of the house can't even be bothered to comment on items put before the house, and a third can't even be bothered to vote without being pestered perhaps we should be looking at resolving existing problems rather than making the house appear like a 3 or 4 man band by having a referendum which next to nobody will really participate in and is very unlikely to draw anybody new in all on a topic that has been "debated" to death for nearly half a decade that people now want to pretend doesn't exist because the fatigue is so great.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And now we see the timeline being overly optimistic, expectation of the CT to actually do their **** in the one day given was a little silly, we're now without UGs despite needing them for Sunday with the next working day being Tuesday (and them likely not being stably created for another week)
04MR17
  • Careers Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Right now I'm simply stating probable fact. I will once again remind you of the last few referendums: the last one was cancelled because the CT couldn't be bothered to do their bit right, the one before that saw no new engagement, and the one before that was so long ago as to be irrelevant. When most of the house can't even be bothered to comment on items put before the house, and a third can't even be bothered to vote without being pestered perhaps we should be looking at resolving existing problems rather than making the house appear like a 3 or 4 man band by having a referendum which next to nobody will really participate in and is very unlikely to draw anybody new in all on a topic that has been "debated" to death for nearly half a decade that people now want to pretend doesn't exist because the fatigue is so great.
Maybe existing problems involve people not wanting to comment on items because if they express an opinion they'll be latched upon by someone who's going to speak to them in a critical condescending and sometimes offensive manner. And maybe we need to try getting new members to replace those who don't really have the time to be an MP but are just filling a seat out of party need.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Maybe existing problems involve people not wanting to comment on items because if they express an opinion they'll be latched upon by someone who's going to speak to them in a critical condescending and sometimes offensive manner. And maybe we need to try getting new members to replace those who don't really have the time to be an MP but are just filling a seat out of party need.
An argument that has repeatedly been debunked.
04MR17
  • Careers Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
An argument that has repeatedly been debunked.
Which one?
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m skeptical about whether this will work or not. It is certainly worth a try at least.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
4 threads all debate the same thing. One thread has a poll of 2000 votes. Remain beats leaving 1600 to 400. There's not a shortage of debate. There's nothing new to add. The referendum is a waste of time. Roll on Brexit fatigue and reducing participation.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5764086
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5692118
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5861028
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5684084
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (169)
22.44%
The paper was reasonable (356)
47.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (142)
18.86%
It was TERRIBLE (86)
11.42%

Watched Threads