The Student Room Group

Most flexible nhs career when have family?

Hello

I’m going to be starting the access course and really like the idea of occupational therapy but I have to consider my working hours when I have a young family. I will be fortunate enough hopefully to pursue a nhs in a part time basis.

Does occupational therapy offer part time and bank work? I don’t want to spend many years studying and realise that I have to work full time? The other option is nursing which would offer flexible hours or podiatry?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Jane
Reply 1
Depends what you mean in terms of flexibility. Most jobs have part time options (all of them actually) but the majority of positions suitable for newly qualified practitioners are full time. The reason for this is that you need time to gain your competencies in order that you can take on more responsibility. Whilst you can do this part time it is more difficult. It becomes easier to take on part time work once you’ve done full time for a year or two.

I’m not trying to put you off I just think it’s important that you know that learning and professional development do not stop when you finish the degree, whichever one you do.

If you’re looking for an NHS role/job that fits around school hours and holidays you’re probably looking at something like speech and language therapy. A lot of these roles are school based and keep the same holidays. School nurse or learning disability nursing may offer similar opportunities.
Reply 2
Ok thanks for your advice. Do you know do you need to qualify in child or adult nursing for school nurse? Or will both do. 😊
Original post by giella
Depends what you mean in terms of flexibility. Most jobs have part time options (all of them actually) but the majority of positions suitable for newly qualified practitioners are full time. The reason for this is that you need time to gain your competencies in order that you can take on more responsibility. Whilst you can do this part time it is more difficult. It becomes easier to take on part time work once you’ve done full time for a year or two.

I’m not trying to put you off I just think it’s important that you know that learning and professional development do not stop when you finish the degree, whichever one you do.

If you’re looking for an NHS role/job that fits around school hours and holidays you’re probably looking at something like speech and language therapy. A lot of these roles are school based and keep the same holidays. School nurse or learning disability nursing may offer similar opportunities.
Original post by Janey44
Ok thanks for your advice. Do you know do you need to qualify in child or adult nursing for school nurse? Or will both do. 😊

Doesn’t matter, you can be either.
Reply 4
Thanks 🙏
Original post by moonkatt
Doesn’t matter, you can be either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending