Year Abroad - what can I do (in terms of studying) Watch

ThatJosh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey. So I've firmed a university choice which is for a 4-year course, including the third year being the mandatory year abroad (via Erasmus i think).

To my understanding, there is the option to study or work abroad in a country that speaks your language. For me, I'm learning French, so it'd likely be France. But specifically, how does the studying part work?

I wonder if I were to study Political Science or something similar, is there a qualification I can gain from it at the end of the year? Or does it boost my UK degree? I don't know how this works and I'd love to learn more, but I'm struggling to find what I'm trying to find out online.

If anyone has prior experience, please lmk!
Exceptional
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ThatJosh)
Hey. So I've firmed a university choice which is for a 4-year course, including the third year being the mandatory year abroad (via Erasmus i think).

To my understanding, there is the option to study or work abroad in a country that speaks your language. For me, I'm learning French, so it'd likely be France. But specifically, how does the studying part work?

I wonder if I were to study Political Science or something similar, is there a qualification I can gain from it at the end of the year? Or does it boost my UK degree? I don't know how this works and I'd love to learn more, but I'm struggling to find what I'm trying to find out online.

If anyone has prior experience, please lmk!
Usually, you'll take modules at the partner university and these grades either count or don't count towards your degree classification. You will not be an alumnus of the university you study abroad at, but you will be able to put it on your CV and your degree title would be something like 'Political Science with Study Abroad'.

If it counts towards your degree classification, usually you'll be graded on the local university system and your home university will convert these grades to your home institution's system.

Other than that, you're pretty much just like a local student at the university abroad for a year and the experience will be what you make of it.
ThatJosh
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Exceptional)
Usually, you'll take modules at the partner university and these grades either count or don't count towards your degree classification. You will not be an alumnus of the university you study abroad at, but you will be able to put it on your CV and your degree title would be something like 'Political Science with Study Abroad'.

If it counts towards your degree classification, usually you'll be graded on the local university system and your home university will convert these grades to your home institution's system.

Other than that, you're pretty much just like a local student at the university abroad for a year and the experience will be what you make of it.
My course is 4 years compared to the usual 3, so I wondered if there was something extra I gain (in terms of qualification) compared to if I just stayed in the UK and did the three years.

Of course, there are huge language/cultural/experience benefits. I just wondered if there was an extra qualification or any chance of it making my degree a 'better degree' etc.
Steph4
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
At my uni if you do a year abroad you get " (degree) with international experience" added onto the name which i guess would make your degree stand out in cv's etc. This might be the same with your uni?
Exceptional
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ThatJosh)
My course is 4 years compared to the usual 3, so I wondered if there was something extra I gain (in terms of qualification) compared to if I just stayed in the UK and did the three years.

Of course, there are huge language/cultural/experience benefits. I just wondered if there was an extra qualification or any chance of it making my degree a 'better degree' etc.
It depends on your university, it should say on the website or you can contact someone there who'll confirm. But generally, no, you won't get an extra qualification. As mentioned, your degree title will just change to something like 'XYZ with Study Abroad'. Your grades abroad might not count towards your degree class, especially if it's 4 years instead of 3.
ThatJosh
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thank you all for your comments, I enquired further and it seems that my University does some graded coursework on return relating to my year abroad.

I have a more specific question now though -- if I were to study Political Science in France, what is the mechanism by which this is possible? I was looking at Pantheon-Sorbonne and Sciences Po, and I didn't know if there were specific pages on the website that I could look at, for example.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads