GCSE Mandarin Watch

Karima3333
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Should i Choose to do GCSE Mandarin during my A-Levels?
polyglot23
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wouldn’t you want to do the A-Level exam at A-level ?
PirateRachael
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by polyglot23)
Wouldn’t you want to do the A-Level exam at A-level ?
Not if OP is a beginner.
(Original post by Karima3333)
Should i Choose to do GCSE Mandarin during my A-Levels?
This is what I’m planning to do. If you think it’s not too much work and like languages, go for it!
polyglot23
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What’s OP ? 😄🤔
(Original post by PirateRachael)
Not if OP is a beginner.

This is what I’m planning to do. If you think it’s not too much work and like languages, go for it!
Karima3333
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PirateRachael)
Not if OP is a beginner.

Is there a point because i will be doing A-Levels in September and i might want to do East Asian Studies for university? Also i am an absolute beginner
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by polyglot23)
What’s OP ? 😄🤔
original poster
Lawyerz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi :-) I think there's definitely a "point". Mandarin (even at a basic level) will give you an edge when applying for jobs and will be particularly helpful if applying for East Asian studies.

Two things I would suggest bearing in mind:

1) Your A Levels are THE most important thing. If you think you can balance A Levels with the extra GCSE and get good grades then go for it. If you think the GCSE will really eat into your A Level revision time then it might be worth reconsidering - perhaps showing your interest by doing a Duolingo course in your free time instead? At the end of the day, you need good A Level grades for uni, that is your priority.

From someone who has read UCAS PS from a university perspective, doing a GCSE would be showing good interest in East Asian studies... but so would finishing the Duolingo course or attending a languages summer school

2) If you're doing a GCSE in it, maybe check if it is compulsory to then declare it on your UCAS etc? Here, I'm thinking that if you do less well in the GCSE you wouldn't want the uni to get the wrong idea and not think you have the aptitude to study something similar at uni.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Karima3333
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lawyerz)
Hi :-) I think there's definitely a "point". Mandarin (even at a basic level) will give you an edge when applying for jobs and will be particularly helpful if applying for East Asian studies.

Two things I would suggest bearing in mind:

1) Your A Levels are THE most important thing. If you think you can balance A Levels with the extra GCSE and get good grades then go for it. If you think the GCSE will really eat into your A Level revision time then it might be worth reconsidering - perhaps showing your interest by doing a Duolingo course in your free time instead? At the end of the day, you need good A Level grades for uni, that is your priority.

From someone who has read UCAS PS from a university perspective, doing a GCSE would be showing good interest in East Asian studies... but so would finishing the Duolingo course or attending a languages summer school

2) If you're doing a GCSE in it, maybe check if it is compulsory to then declare it on your UCAS etc? Here, I'm thinking that if you do less well in the GCSE you wouldn't want the uni to get the wrong idea and not think you have the aptitude to study something similar at uni.
How does the process of doing GCSE mandarin work if my sixth form doesn't teach it? How much does it cost to do GCSE Mandarin?
El123491
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wow, this was me two year ago.I would say honestly as I’m currently doing GCSE mandarin alongside A levels go for it I thoroughly enjoy it and it’s helps me to de-stress from my a levels. However, you should ask yourself why u want to do it and if it has any use to you at all, although another GCSE is a bonus. My A level choices are not too difficult compared to subjects like history, maths and sciences etc and I’m doing french Spanish and sociology which are much easier but still difficult so maybe consider if you think you will be able to manage your A levels which will be more important for uni. I’m going to study Chinese at uni this year and I don’t regret it at all, through college my struggle was A levels and speaking from experience of others if you don’t want to continue with it you can always drop it in the first year of college Hope this helps x
Last edited by El123491; 4 weeks ago
PirateRachael
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Karima3333)
Is there a point because i will be doing A-Levels in September and i might want to do East Asian Studies for university? Also i am an absolute beginner
Especially if you want to do East Asian Studies, Mandarin is very useful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (179)
22.83%
The paper was reasonable (366)
46.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (146)
18.62%
It was TERRIBLE (93)
11.86%

Watched Threads