The Student Room Group

XS Direct £3000 excess

Hi everyone
I had an accident with a pedestrian. I hit into them insurer said i was at fault. I didn’t make a claim to repair my car i said i didn’t want to repair my car so now xs direct are saying that i owe them £3000 excess. Is that true i still have to pay them even though i didn’t make a claim?

Thanks
Reply 1
No, an excess is only payable when an insurer is paying for repairs. It sounds like it got mixed up on their end.

Also who the **** would take out a policy with a 3k excess.
Original post by xDron3
No, an excess is only payable when an insurer is paying for repairs. It sounds like it got mixed up on their end.

Also who the **** would take out a policy with a 3k excess.

XS Direct cover people who wouldn't normally get insurance cover (ie young drivers in performance cars or with accidents/points) - the trade-off for a low premium is the high excess.

Their excess is all sections, therefore if you report an accident to them they will almost definitely demand the excess in full as per their terms until the claim is closed or they are sure the other party has no intention of claiming.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by nevershear
XS Direct cover people who wouldn't normally get insurance cover (ie young drivers in performance cars or with accidents/points) - the trade-off for a low premium is the high excess.

Their excess is all sections, therefore if you report an accident to them they will almost definitely demand the excess in full as per their terms until the claim is closed or they are sure the other party has no intention of claiming.

Thanks for the info, never heard of XS before although the name makes sense doesn't it when you explain it like that.
Thanks for your help guys. The other party put a claim for injury and xs direct said they paying them out for injury claim.
Yep seems like you will have to foot the bill.
Hi,I know this is from few years ago but I had kind of the same problem.I have an excess of 3k as I am young driver with XS direct. I’m doing delivery with my van and I was reversing I just did not see an Golf 5 parked and I hit it on the rear light. The car is completely in working condition and would have to be changed only the rear light and maybe paint a little bit the bumper. No one was in the car so no injury etc.As I have excess of 3k I know I’ll have to pay anything less than 3k but the insurance write off the Golf as the repair is expensive. They are asking me for £1353My questions are: 1. If I’m the one paying for it, why they did not ask me if I want to write of the car or pay the repair? That should be my decision.2. If I’m paying for the car, why they do not give me the golf ? I could sell it and get some money back
Reply 7
Original post by Robert Tunaru
Hi,I know this is from few years ago but I had kind of the same problem.I have an excess of 3k as I am young driver with XS direct. I’m doing delivery with my van and I was reversing I just did not see an Golf 5 parked and I hit it on the rear light. The car is completely in working condition and would have to be changed only the rear light and maybe paint a little bit the bumper. No one was in the car so no injury etc.As I have excess of 3k I know I’ll have to pay anything less than 3k but the insurance write off the Golf as the repair is expensive. They are asking me for £1353My questions are: 1. If I’m the one paying for it, why they did not ask me if I want to write of the car or pay the repair? That should be my decision.2. If I’m paying for the car, why they do not give me the golf ? I could sell it and get some money back

You need to do some research into how your disastrous policy works as you're incredibly misinformed.
Original post by IWMTom
You need to do some research into how your disastrous policy works as you're incredibly misinformed.

I'm at a loss how they've managed to hit a car.... then get it into their head that they should get to keep someone else's car? :confused: :tongue: :confused:
Reply 9
Original post by StriderHort
I'm at a loss how they've managed to hit a car.... then get it into their head that they should get to keep someone else's car? :confused: :tongue: :confused:

"but I'm paying for it!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!11!1!1!!!1!1!1one!!1!1!"
Original post by IWMTom
"but I'm paying for it!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!11!1!1!!!1!1!1one!!1!1!"

I've obv never dealt with or even heard of XS till this... I've had a skim and am I right in thinking the OP has essentially made and lost an incredibly risky and one sided 'sudden death' bet with them where if they have any incident, their pockets are getting turned inside out?
Reply 11
Original post by StriderHort
I've obv never dealt with or even heard of XS till this... I've had a skim and am I right in thinking the OP has essentially made and lost an incredibly risky and one sided 'sudden death' bet with them where if they have any incident, their pockets are getting turned inside out?

Pretty much that, yep.

Quick Reply

Latest