The Student Room Group

A Level Choice HELP

In September I will be starting my A Levels, but I’ve had a bit of difficulty choosing my third A Level. I’m wondering if anyone has any good suggestions of what A Level would be good to do alongside Spanish and German? I love languages and would love to use them in my career one day, but I’m not sure what that career will be so I need something that I enjoy and that could benefit languages in the future... I hope this makes at least some sense.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elizamunday02
In September I will be starting my A Levels, but I’ve had a bit of difficulty choosing my third A Level. I’m wondering if anyone has any good suggestions of what A Level would be good to do alongside Spanish and German? I love languages and would love to use them in my career one day, but I’m not sure what that career will be so I need something that I enjoy and that could benefit languages in the future... I hope this makes at least some sense.

Business studies or Economics would go well with them if you think that you might like to do a degree one day combining Business with a Language? Other than that, I would say pick a subject you enjoy and are very good at, or pick a new subject that sounds interesting.
you could pick any subject you wish. How about English.
I would do the A-levels you enjoy, Maths is always a good one to have in your back pocket but if you hate it then fair enough. When I went for interviews some interviewers did ask about my language capabilities and was a desired quality in many jobs I applied for. Knowing German and Spanish definitely unlocks opportunities e.g. some jobs/graduate programmes require you to know a European language that isn't English. The below statistics from CBI reflect that 47% of surveyed businesses were not satisfied with graduates' foreign language skills and the other graph highlights how valued German and Spanish are.

7.6.PNG2.10.PNG
Original post by harrysbar
Business studies or Economics would go well with them if you think that you might like to do a degree one day combining Business with a Language? Other than that, I would say pick a subject you enjoy and are very good at, or pick a new subject that sounds interesting.

That’s really helpful, thank you so much! I will definitely consider Business Studies as that seems like a good one to do alongside languages. :smile:
That’s really helpful, thank you so much! I will definitely consider Business Studies as that seems like a good one to do alongside languages. :smile:

Oh good! Yup, I think people who combine business degrees with a language are in a great position when it comes to getting a job since as @Themysticalegg says, language skills are highly valued by employers
Oh good! Yup, I think people who combine business degrees with a language are in a great position when it comes to getting a job since as @Themysticalegg says, language skills are highly valued by employers

I actually went down that exact route. :lol:
Reply 7
i would definitely recommend english literature or language as your third! being able to speak & write in foreign languages is amazing but if you’re going to uni your profile will look even better if you have english skills on there too!!
Original post by Themysticalegg
I would do the A-levels you enjoy, Maths is always a good one to have in your back pocket but if you hate it then fair enough. When I went for interviews some interviewers did ask about my language capabilities and was a desired quality in many jobs I applied for. Knowing German and Spanish definitely unlocks opportunities e.g. some jobs/graduate programmes require you to know a European language that isn't English. The below statistics from CBI reflect that 47% of surveyed businesses were not satisfied with graduates' foreign language skills and the other graph highlights how valued German and Spanish are.

7.6.PNG2.10.PNG

Wow that’s really useful to know. Thank you so much!!
I actually went down that exact route. :lol:

And do you enjoy it??
i would also recommend english as it would allow you to have many wider language based jobs, and also like @hollsren said it would look really good on your uni applications if you have english on there, just a option to consider

Original post by HollsRen
i would definitely recommend english literature or language as your third! being able to speak & write in foreign languages is amazing but if you’re going to uni your profile will look even better if you have english skills on there too!!

You and @Themysticalegg have been incredibly helpful. You may have just solved my problem, though I will have to look into the course at the college I’m going to.
Original post by HollsRen

I would have really liked to do English Lit... but I looked at some of the books I would be studying and neither I nor my parents liked the kind of themes they were based around... otherwise I would definitely have chosen it
oh that’s a shame! in that case just try to pick something with good writing skills !

i do english literature with french and spanish and i am in year 13 and i adore it! the english definitely backs up your languages as if you don’t have a solid comprehension of english you may struggle with the languages! hope this helps! :smile:
You and @Themysticalegg have been incredibly helpful. You may have just solved my problem, though I will have to look into the course at the college I’m going to.

Good to hear....if you're strong at maths, you could also check out Economics - you will normally need a minimum grade 5/6 in maths GCSE to do that
And do you enjoy it??

I'm not a major fan of some of the contents of the Business degree, but most of my friends really did enjoy it. It got me a job I wanted so the degree achieved its purpose! :lol:
Good to hear....if you're strong at maths, you could also check out Economics - you will normally need a minimum grade 5/6 in maths GCSE to do that

I don’t mind maths, but I don’t think I like it enough to be able to do Economics... I’ll still think about it though
I'm not a major fan of some of the contents of the Business degree, but most of my friends really did enjoy it. It got me a job I wanted so the degree achieved its purpose! :lol:

Ok thank you! :smile: I’m researching the course right now!
I never expected so many responses! Everyone has been so so helpful - thank you

Quick Reply

Latest