Why you hating on Oxbridge?? Watch

DrWilson173441
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Sorry people, I need somewhere to vent!
My absolute pet peeve is people complaining about oxbridge rejection. More specifically, I can’t stand when people blame the university for their rejection.
Some people are so entitled, they believe that the only reason they didn’t get a place was because of a university mistake, or the university specifically discriminated against them. NO!!!
You didn’t get a place because a) you weren’t good enough or b) you weren’t suitable. I don’t care how many people said you’re smart enough for oxbridge, I don’t care how many teachers said you’d do well there, Cambridge didn’t, so shut up and face reality.
By saying what you’re saying, you are essentially saying someone got in that shouldn’t have, i get it’s frustrating for you but by being such a child about it you’re hurting others!
Can we all agree this is ridiculous? And stop posting dumb crap about how Cambridge should’ve given you a place!
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it is really much easier to get in nowadays what with various schemes and what not. people like Stormy the pop singer are doing their utmost to help children from the schemes to get in to the top college's.
DrWilson173441
Rep:
?
But even if you’re not on one of the schemes, not getting in doesn’t mean you’ve been cheated out of a place
(Original post by the bear)
it is really much easier to get in nowadays what with various schemes and what not. people like Stormy the pop singer are doing their utmost to help children from the schemes to get in to the top college's.
Doones
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DrWilson173441)
My absolute pet peeve is people complaining about oxbridge rejection. More specifically, I can’t stand when people blame the university for their rejection.
TBF, that's not really a very common reaction. Most people know the offer rate is only about 1 in 5, so if they do get a rejection they accept it and move on...
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cambridge should really think about building new colleges with less Draconian entrance requirements. they are making a rod for their own back by perpetuating their frankly elitist image.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cambridge should really think about building new colleges with less Draconian entrance requirements. they are making a rod for their own back by perpetuating their frankly elitist image.
Alright, Macron.
DrWilson173441
Rep:
?
Very true Doones! But I feel like I spend half my time dealing with someone of this opinion :-(
(Original post by Doones)
TBF, that's not really a very common reaction. Most people know the offer rate is only about 1 in 5, so if they do get a rejection they accept it and move on...
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Very true Doones! But I feel like I spend half my time dealing with someone of this opinion :-(
Tell that person to stop
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
DrWilson173441
Rep:
?
I have, many times. But unfortunately I live with one of them. I just wish this wasn’t a thing, because it’s quite degrading towards my successes!
(Original post by Doones)
Tell that person to stop
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They have. It's called ARU...
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have, many times. But unfortunately I live with one of them. I just wish this wasn’t a thing, because it’s quite degrading towards my successes!
Well all you can do is smile and wave.

They'll like that
Oxford Mum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think the most sensible attitude to have towards Oxbridge is “I’ll have a stab at it. If a get in it’s a bonus, if not at least I tried. There was a tacit agreement in my house that if the boys didn’t get into Oxford, they would happily accept their second choice. Kcl would have been perfectly acceptable for medicine, and Bristol for german
Lala143
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That reminds me of a few study gurus who didn't get into Oxbridge.
Sorry people, I need somewhere to vent!
Some people are so entitled, they believe that the only reason they didn’t get a place was because of a university mistake, or the university specifically discriminated against them. NO!!!
You didn’t get a place because a) you weren’t good enough or b) you weren’t suitable. I don’t care how many people said you’re smart enough for oxbridge, I don’t care how many teachers said you’d do well there, Cambridge didn’t, so shut up and face reality.
By saying what you’re saying, you are essentially saying someone got in that shouldn’t have, i get it’s frustrating for you but by being such a child about it you’re hurting others!
Can we all agree this is ridiculous? And stop posting dumb crap about how Cambridge should’ve given you a place!
OddOnes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's the the fact it's virtually impossible to get super high grades at poor underperforming schools unless you're exceptionally gifted.

Meanwhile those lucky ones with private education have a more realistic chance of achieving them with lots of support. The inequalities in education are not fair. A huge number of children, including myself, could never reach their full potential in school. I think it's disgusting that this occurs in a developed country.

Oxford and Cambridge fuel this with their entery requirement and not adjusting to take from poor schools.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Dr Wilson I would agree with you but be a little less blunt about it... Oxbridge know how important their places are for candidates, so they spend a long time making their decisions, based on all kinds of data. They never reject anyone lightly. So no one else has you sister’s/ brother’s rightful place. Have they got feedback? Are they thinking of reapplying? There are several people, both on tsr and at my son’s college, who have got in second time around. Some changed their course, or college. My elder son wanted to study law with law studies in Europe but had little interest in the law. He just wanted to study it because the law part sounded posh. His brother pointed out the admissions statistics. He was really interested in, and brilliant at literature anyway, so he just chose German instead and got in.
DrWilson173441
Rep:
?
(Original post by OddOnes)
It's the the fact it's virtually impossible to get super high grades at poor underperforming schools unless you're exceptionally gifted.

Meanwhile those lucky ones with private education have a more realistic chance of achieving them with lots of support. The inequalities in education are not fair. A huge number of children, including myself, could never reach their full potential in school. I think it's disgusting that this occurs in a developed country.

Oxford and Cambridge fuel this with their entery requirement and not adjusting to take from poor schools.
Firstly, oxbridge do adjust to take into account contextual factors.
Secondly, I go to an underperforming sixth form, and I’m predicted 4A*s. This is another place where people need to develop an INTERNAL locus of control!
DrWilson173441
Rep:
?
5his is what I thought about oxbridge, unfortunately I seem to deal with lots of people who are shocked they didn’t receive an offer because they believe they’re entitled to one. I’ve just been taken off guard by the shear volume of people who are the latter and that particular opinion just grates with me.
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
I think the most sensible attitude to have towards Oxbridge is “I’ll have a stab at it. If a get in it’s a bonus, if not at least I tried. There was a tacit agreement in my house that if the boys didn’t get into Oxford, they would happily accept their second choice. Kcl would have been perfectly acceptable for medicine, and Bristol for german
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nobody iS entitled to a place at Oxbridge, all we can do is try. There was a guy from Harrow who was rejected for medicine and he ended up insulting me and my kids. Am I right, dr Wilson in thinking congratulations are in order for you?😀
DrWilson173441
Rep:
?
Yes, thank you x
It’s normally people from the most privileged of schools, who seem to embody this distainful opinion. It’s disgusting that this guy would act that way towards someone, not least because of something so unwarranting like an oxbridge place.
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Nobody iS entitled to a place at Oxbridge, all we can do is try. There was a guy from Harrow who was rejected for medicine and he ended up insulting me and my kids. Am I right, dr Wilson in thinking congratulations are in order for you?😀
Accio_Cake
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hmm, you must have been quite unlucky to be dealing with this. At my college I fortunately haven't had to deal with any negative comments from my friends who didn't get in, who are going to excellent universities anyway and know that.

Good vibes all around
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
22.91%
The paper was reasonable (428)
44.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.2%
It was TERRIBLE (135)
14.12%

Watched Threads