The Student Room Group

Am I still able to pass my Science GCSEs?

I go to an alternative provisional academy, specifically on the Med side. The only GCSEs they give me to take are Maths, English Language, English Lit and Biology. Due to the fact that I wish to do A-Levels, I persuaded my teachers to submit me for the Chemistry and Biology GCSEs too (because I can't get into an A-Level course without at least 5 GCSEs). They did, but no one is teaching me it. I only go in to school for 3 hours per day and don't have lessons for these subjects. I revise and learn the topics on my own and pass the practice tests that I take, but now I am hearing about required practicals? What? I know that we completed practicals when I was in mainstream school, but I didn't know that they are supposedly mandatory and make up 15% of my final grade? Is there any way that I can *not* do them? Because there's no way for me to complete them and I *really* need to pass these GCSEs.
Original post by ManicManiac
I go to an alternative provisional academy, specifically on the Med side. The only GCSEs they give me to take are Maths, English Language, English Lit and Biology. Due to the fact that I wish to do A-Levels, I persuaded my teachers to submit me for the Chemistry and Biology GCSEs too (because I can't get into an A-Level course without at least 5 GCSEs). They did, but no one is teaching me it. I only go in to school for 3 hours per day and don't have lessons for these subjects. I revise and learn the topics on my own and pass the practice tests that I take, but now I am hearing about required practicals? What? I know that we completed practicals when I was in mainstream school, but I didn't know that they are supposedly mandatory and make up 15% of my final grade? Is there any way that I can *not* do them? Because there's no way for me to complete them and I *really* need to pass these GCSEs.

Nope you have to do them. An option would be to take IGCSE science tho, you don't need to take practicals.
Reply 2
Oh. God damn it. How do I take those? Is it too late to apply for them at this point? I'm a year 11 and GCSEs are kind of in May.
Reply 3
The results of the practicals do not affect your grade - it is 100% based on the exams but there will be questions on the exam papers about the practicals so you need to know the theory they're based on and the procedure. The centre that entered you has to complete paperwork saying that you've done all the practicals but if they're prepared to do that (and they should have done it by now) then there's nothing to stop you getting as good a grade as anyone else in the GCSEs.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
The results of the practicals do not affect your grade - it is 100% based on the exams but there will be questions on the exam papers about the practicals so you need to know the theory they're based on and the procedure. The centre that entered you has to complete paperwork saying that you've done all the practicals but if they're prepared to do that (and they should have done it by now) then there's nothing to stop you getting as good a grade as anyone else in the GCSEs.

Oh thank god! I had a horrible freakout there for a second. Thanks!
Send me a message and I can send you some free resources on the required practicals.
All the very best,
Vicky @ GCSE Science Exam Help

Quick Reply

Latest