Do I need to change driving instructors ? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been learning to drive since November and I’m struggling with confidence. My driving instructor is really really good at what she does but I find she raises her voice at me a lot if I do something wrong and she seems annoyed which makes me worse. I don’t know whether to stick with her as I know she’s good but I don’t know if it will help my confidence much. I have mentioned to her I don’t have much confidence and she did try and help during that one lesson but not much since. I usually get really nervous before my lessons and I dread them. I’m unsure what to do ??
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have been learning to drive since November and I’m struggling with confidence. My driving instructor is really really good at what she does but I find she raises her voice at me a lot if I do something wrong and she seems annoyed which makes me worse. I don’t know whether to stick with her as I know she’s good but I don’t know if it will help my confidence much. I have mentioned to her I don’t have much confidence and she did try and help during that one lesson but not much since. I usually get really nervous before my lessons and I dread them. I’m unsure what to do ??
Have you considered getting some practice with a family member in-between lessons? The more driving you do, the more relaxed you will be for driving lessons.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
Have you considered getting some practice with a family member in-between lessons? The more driving you do, the more relaxed you will be for driving lessons.
Thank you for replying! I did get insured on my mums car for a month and I went out a few times but I found it didn’t help much and I was too scared to go out! My instructor keeps telling me my mum needs to insure the car again but I don’t know if I have the confidence to go out with my parents and no dual control.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
Thankyou for the reply! I did get my mums car insured for a month and went out a few times but I still didn’t feel any more confident and I don’t feel confident with out dual control
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thankyou for the reply! I did get my mums car insured for a month and went out a few times but I still didn’t feel any more confident and I don’t feel confident with out dual control
How good are you? I mean you can't do anything too challenging without dual controls unless you're sure you can handle it.

Sounds to me like you need a new instructor. They should be making you feel relaxed and safe not raising their voice. You may never enjoy lessons, I'm about to pass my test and I still hate driving lessons. But you need to be able to do them.

Another thought - how long/often do you have lessons. I feel best at 2 x 2hours a week for example. Driving once a week just doesn't keep my confidence up and 1hour doesn't give me time to relax into it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (179)
22.83%
The paper was reasonable (366)
46.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (146)
18.62%
It was TERRIBLE (93)
11.86%

Watched Threads