English Language Paper 1 Question 5 Watch

Will_B123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How do you answer question 5????
Story writing/descriptive writing is so hard, and I have no idea how to start!

Any help would be sooooo very appreciated!
Starjalsha
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Same
fizzy2007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you chose the picture then you will need to break up your response up into 4 sections - moving increasingly closer in your focus, describe the smaller things such as if there was a picture of a beach, describe what the first thing catches your eyes then move out.

If you answering a story plan or even think before you write and focus on the question. For example, I have written:
Their bodies lay like ghoulish mannequins, the esophagus and arteries sticking out like so much corrugated and rubber tubing. It looked as if a special effects team had worked overtime for some Friday the thirteenth movie set, but that smell. That smell could only come from recently slaughtered animals. In this case, the animals were human and their corpses were still warm, the blood thickening but not yet dried on their waxy skin. Some cases took a while to decide if foul play was involved, but this was murder all the way.
Will_B123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by fizzy2007)
If you chose the picture then you will need to break up your response up into 4 sections - moving increasingly closer in your focus, describe the smaller things such as if there was a picture of a beach, describe what the first thing catches your eyes then move out.

If you answering a story plan or even think before you write and focus on the question. For example, I have written:
Their bodies lay like ghoulish mannequins, the esophagus and arteries sticking out like so much corrugated and rubber tubing. It looked as if a special effects team had worked overtime for some Friday the thirteenth movie set, but that smell. That smell could only come from recently slaughtered animals. In this case, the animals were human and their corpses were still warm, the blood thickening but not yet dried on their waxy skin. Some cases took a while to decide if foul play was involved, but this was murder all the way.
Hi. Thanks for your help. You've clearly got a high level of literacy.

Given that I haven't do you reckon it'd be a good idea to do pre-made plans and memorise them, based off of:
-A positive photo
-A negative photo

Thanks so much for your help!
fizzy2007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi and no problem. Well, no one will know what will come up for Question 5, but you could prepare for it. Do past papers, describe things you see, for example describing where you live. When doing question 5 don't write loads and loads also another important thing is to write in an engaging way. Think about the techniques you’re going to use – personification, metaphors etc. Describe the scene for your reader – pathetic fallacy, for example. Foreshadowing is good – hint at the events to come.

Try to answer this question: Write a story about a time when you were anxious?
(Original post by Will_B123)
Hi. Thanks for your help. You've clearly got a high level of literacy.

Given that I haven't do you reckon it'd be a good idea to do pre-made plans and memorise them, based off of:
-A positive photo
-A negative photo

Thanks so much for your help!
Tolgarda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You do not need to have a high level of literacy to answer this question. My literacy has come under heavy criticism multiple times, and I still didn't drop a single mark for creative writing in my exam. What is this nonsense?

Anyway, do not try and memorise a story just for the exam. It is really stupid and futile if you can't adapt it to the question in the actual exam. If you have the ability to adapt it, you're probably creative enough to write a story ad lib in the exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (179)
22.86%
The paper was reasonable (366)
46.74%
Not feeling great about that exam... (145)
18.52%
It was TERRIBLE (93)
11.88%

Watched Threads