Getting a new monitor for my Mac

Watch
21ForEva
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys

I have a Mac mini (2011) and I am going to buy myself a new monitor - better size, better graphics. I'm a filmmaker so was going for monitors that makes images/videos cleaner and sharper and came across a few that I liked including the AOC U2777PQU 27" and the Acer H277HUsmipuz 27 Inch.

However I was looking at a review on the AOC monitor and the guy said something about getting a new graphics card for your computer in order for you to get better graphics coming up on the screen.

My question is, even though I'm changing my monitor to something that is supposed to give off better graphics, does that mean I ALSO have to replace my graphics card as well - it is currently the 'Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB' and I've read that you can replace them with newer ones to make your images more refined.

I don't want to just go ahead and buy one straight away - I wanaa do my research first and spend good money on a good monitor

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
username612415
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 21ForEva)
Hey guys

I have a Mac mini (2011) and I am going to buy myself a new monitor - better size, better graphics. I'm a filmmaker so was going for monitors that makes images/videos cleaner and sharper and came across a few that I liked including the AOC U2777PQU 27" and the Acer H277HUsmipuz 27 Inch.

However I was looking at a review on the AOC monitor and the guy said something about getting a new graphics card for your computer in order for you to get better graphics coming up on the screen.

My question is, even though I'm changing my monitor to something that is supposed to give off better graphics, does that mean I ALSO have to replace my graphics card as well - it is currently the 'Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB' and I've read that you can replace them with newer ones to make your images more refined.

I don't want to just go ahead and buy one straight away - I wanaa do my research first and spend good money on a good monitor

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Firstly, you cannot change the graphics card in your Mac Mini. It uses integrated graphics built into the processor, and the Mac Mini does not have any expansion options for aftermarket graphics cards.

Next, there's a difference between graphics and image quality. Graphics, in this case, is the image that you're computer is sending to the monitor. Image quality is how the monitor shows that image. The computer is spitting out the same "graphics", irrespective of which monitor is plugged into it, if all the settings and outputs used stay the same. But monitors with better image quality may show those graphics in a more pleasing way. It might have a higher resolution and let you see greater detail, it may have more accurate colours, a higher contrast ratio or better viewing angles, or may simply be a higher quality panel compared to a crappy quality one.

You need to figure out exactly what improvements you're looking for from your system, and then we can help you figure out what changes you can make to achieve that.
21ForEva
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys, thanks a lot for the replies. Yeah I'm new to understanding about computers/monitors and all so thanks for the insights.

I am literally just looking for a 27 inch monitor for me to be able to work on editing my films - I currently have a 19 inch and it's awful! I wouldn't mind a screen to show sharper/cleaner videos/images when I edit as well. Obviously now I am not gonna go with something as fancy as the links I supplied in the first thread message as my Mac Mini won't support the great 4K feature. A friend recommended that I just get something 2k, is that right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads