Is VAR controversial if the end-decision is the right call? Watch

TaintedLight
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For example you scored in the 94th minute. But you didn't realize the teammate who passed you the ball was offside until you finished celebrated.

If the goal is rightly ruled out, is it controversial?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TaintedLight)
If the goal is rightly ruled out, is it controversial?
Of course not.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's controversial because it slows the gameplay and reduces excitement (i.e. wait 90 secs to celebrate). But it's the rules and it's much better than having mistakes of officials change the outcome of a match -- which can have tens of millions of quid difference for clubs.
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. In fact, going by last night, it’s hilarious and only ups the entertainment and tension.

People think that VAR kills the celebratory mood, but it also creates a new tension where you have to wait for a decision, which isn’t always objective, and that creates excitement. Like the PSG handball against Man Utd.
M0AK
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No because they got the correct decision. Aguero was definitely offside (if you are talking about Man City vs Tot). It is only controversial if the decision was wrong.
scorpion95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think that VAR is a good thing in many cases and should be used in more leagues. As long as it is used at the right time and it isn't abused I am all for it.
Palmyra
Badges: 17
Report 1 month ago
Ezatolahi's goal vs Spain getting ruled out a solid few minutes after I'd already lost my voice in celebration still hurts
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (179)
22.86%
The paper was reasonable (366)
46.74%
Not feeling great about that exam... (145)
18.52%
It was TERRIBLE (93)
11.88%

Watched Threads