I have a mental health problems - Can I be a good teacher? Watch

Steve1423
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Recently I had a conversation with a group of friends and I found that most of them felt that people with long term mental illnesses could not cope with the way teaching in schools, due to the pressure, stress, anxiety etc.

My view, it's that my mental illness can be a gift, helping me deeply understand the suffering and pain of others.

I am getting mixed opinions about it - what do you think?
Nerd_101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
one of the best teacher's i have has had anxiety since she was a teen. As long as that person can manage to find ways to control their mental problems it should be fine.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Steve1423)
Recently I had a conversation with a group of friends and I found that most of them felt that people with long term mental illnesses could not cope with the way teaching in schools, due to the pressure, stress, anxiety etc.

My view, it's that my mental illness can be a gift, helping me deeply understand the suffering and pain of others.

It's true that teaching can be stressful but a great quality in a teacher is being empathetic and you would probably find it easier than most other people to understand pupils going through stress and anxiety, the number of which is sadly increasing.

At the end of the day, teachers are only human and some of the best teachers I know have personal issues to deal with but that doesn't stop them doing their job brilliantly. As an example, there's a very good maths teacher at my school (very popular with the kids) and he is open with those who are struggling with maths about his own struggles. He admits that he is severely dyslexic and didn't go to uni until late since he had a chaotic home life and wasn't considered clever at school. He is so encouraging to the weaker pupils and jokes that, "If I can do it, anyone can!" so they try harder for him. If you want to be a teacher, I think you should go for it
MidgetFever
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it depends on what the problem is, mental problems is such a general term and has really broad use.

Although with most mental problems comes a method of control or coping, some will be stigmatised and you'd find it extremely hard to find a job in teaching. Body dismorphia for example; if you've gone to the point where you've had extreme body modifications because of it, unfortunately society is going to judge and stigmatise it.

So yeah, dependant on the illness you could be a good teacher.
Steve1423
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do you think schools are as developed as other industries in capitalising on the strengths that a person with mental health problems may have?
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Steve1423)

I think having experience of a mental illness actually makes a better teacher as many are not very sensitive and can't relate to students.Many have no idea what it is like to have a mental illness and just tell you to do your work and don't really care.
04MR17
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Teaching ia often a catalyst for poor mental health. Tonnes of articles about evidencing. Having mental health conditions can bring it's own challenges to teaching (like any profession) but that isn't necesssrily a reason not to do it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (179)
22.83%
The paper was reasonable (366)
46.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (146)
18.62%
It was TERRIBLE (93)
11.86%

Watched Threads