why can i not get a job? Watch

star_girl98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I am about to be 21 and I have never had a job before. I have sent so many job applications and all of them have been rejected. I have applied for places like Primark, Tesco, Next, Sports Direct, Superdry etc.

I don't have any experience and so my CV's a bit crap but my friends who have the same qualifications as me are getting interviews and jobs but when I try I get nothing back.

What am I doing wrong?
Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you
star_girl98
Rep:
?
I would just like to add that I am a full-time student studying Law at University and would like a job over summer.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Probably something wrong with your CV.
How does that look? Have you had someone review it?
star_girl98
Rep:
?
My CV is pretty basic I only have a couple of GCSEs and 1 A-Level and 1 BTEC.

No, I haven't had someone review it. I was thinking about seeing the uni careers counsellor to check it out.
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Probably something wrong with your CV.
How does that look? Have you had someone review it?
Last edited by star_girl98; 1 month ago
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by star_girl98)

No, I haven't had someone review it. I was thinking about seeing the uni careers counsellor to check it out.
Definitely get it reviewed. Do you have skills and extra-curriculars on it?
Any voluntary experience (may be worth doing some voluntary experience to add something to it if you have none)? Work experience?
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Yup, seeing a careers counsellor is your best bet since it is probably your CV that is the problem and they will review it for free and suggest improvements
star_girl98
Rep:
?
I've just put the law society on it. As for experience, I did NCS and police cadets.
Any voluntary experience (may be worth doing some voluntary experience to add something to it if you have none)? Work experience?
star_girl98
Rep:
?
thank you I will book an appointment with her now. Can you suggest anything which I can put on my CV to make it stand out
(Original post by harrysbar)
Yup, seeing a careers counsellor is your best bet since it is probably your CV that is the problem and they will review it for free and suggest improvements
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've just put the law society on it. As for experience, I did NCS and police cadets.
Did you mention any roles/responsibilites? Skills you've gained?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you I will book an appointment with her now. Can you suggest anything which I can put on my CV to make it stand out
Well obvs the police cadets and NCS stuff. Plus have you done anything with the law society that you could put on there? If you're going to be applying for retail, try to link the things you have done with teamwork and communication skills and put a bit at the top about looking for a part time job that will allow you to use your people skills in a busy environment. Don't worry about getting it perfect for now, the careers person will be able to help you to improve it but she will need something to work on
star_girl98
Rep:
?
Yepp, I've said about the skills I have gained and how they can benefit me when dealing with customers.
Did you mention any roles/responsibilites? Skills you've gained?
star_girl98
Rep:
?
thank you so much i am going to update it now and apply to some more jobs
(Original post by harrysbar)
Well obvs the police cadets and NCS stuff. Plus have you done anything with the law society that you could put on there? If you're going to be applying for retail, try to link the things you have done with teamwork and communication skills and put a bit at the top about looking for a part time job that will allow you to use your people skills in a busy environment. Don't worry about getting it perfect for now, the careers person will be able to help you to improve it but she will need something to work on
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you so much i am going to update it now and apply to some more jobs
That's ok - you know for something like CV checks, your careers centre probably has something like a drop in service so you should be able to get seen quickly
Insecable
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

I am about to be 21 and I have never had a job before. I have sent so many job applications and all of them have been rejected. I have applied for places like Primark, Tesco, Next, Sports Direct, Superdry etc.

I don't have any experience and so my CV's a bit crap but my friends who have the same qualifications as me are getting interviews and jobs but when I try I get nothing back.

What am I doing wrong?
Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you
I was in this position for a while too. Look for volunteering experience, do extracurricular activities etc. at university so you have meaningful things to add to your CV. Remember that your university will also have volunteering and employment opportunities exclusively for students.

I second what the others have said about getting your CV reviewed, although when I was in your position, I felt like a lot of it came down to bad luck and the economic generally not being in a great state at the time.

I am a law student too- feel free to ask if you have any questions about anything pertaining to this topic or otherwise.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Avoid Email if you can IMO, way too impersonal and it just vanishes into the void. It's really convenient and quick to apply that way...and that's kind of the problem, they end up swamped with '1-click- applications.

Last time I took people on I stupidly made the Ad email, and got like 1000+ responses in a day, the jobs went to people who speculatively phoned me looking for work while i was staring at this huge pile of emails and thinking 'WTF?' ...so yeah, i deleted them all without reading them.
BraemarEwan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Defo get your CV checked by a careers advisor, but to fair getting a job is tough even with a "good CV" these days since the competition is hard with other students with other experience.
Emma:-)
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree.
Plus try places like mcdonalds. They take on a lot of students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (180)
22.93%
The paper was reasonable (366)
46.62%
Not feeling great about that exam... (146)
18.6%
It was TERRIBLE (93)
11.85%

Watched Threads