Conditional offer: Aberystwyth OR SWANSEA

Watch
Memunat
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, so I've been offered conditionally to come study in Aberystwyth and Swansea University. Although I have visited Aber, I'm still cut in between which of them to accept. I can't visit Swansea before May which is the deadline to accept my offers. Going to study Business Management and I was wondering if anyone could advise me on which to pick and reasons. Thanks x
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I actually study Business Management at Swansea University and I am a final year student, if you have questions feel free to let me know! The area is nice you will be on Bay Campus which is a brand new campus with a beach onsite with a Tesco Express, restaurant and bar amongst other amenities. With buses to the city every 12 minutes with night time services. If you choose to live off campus it is commutable, I do that at the moment and the city is filled with anything you need. In terms of nightlife everything is conveniently on one street. (Wind Street) In terms of employability the careers service is very good and have helped me to secure a placement and a graduate role. In terms of flexibility you can choose to take basically any course from Accounting, Finance, Economics and Business. I would recommend it.
Memunat
Rep:
?
Oh wow, thank you so much for this. So do you think even if I'm not able to go for the open day I would be fine? Because I feel when I eventually go into the school, I would be out of place or maybe I'm just over thinking.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Memunat)
Oh wow, thank you so much for this. So do you think even if I'm not able to go for the open day I would be fine? Because I feel when I eventually go into the school, I would be out of place or maybe I'm just over thinking.
It's always worth having a look I would recommend an open day! (I didn't do that I just got lucky) In terms of being out of place both of these universities are relatively large. Aber (8400), Swansea (20,000) students so you will always find like minded people in societies in such a big community! I've made many friends in my time here, and I was very scared having come from the South East of England!
Memunat
Rep:
?
In terms of the environment, would you say Swansea is way bigger than Aber. And I still don't understand how the course structure works because mine is with Human Resource Management
Memunat
Rep:
?
I'm coming from Ireland so I'm a bit nervous but hopefully I should be fine.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In terms of the environment, would you say Swansea is way bigger than Aber. And I still don't understand how the course structure works because mine is with Human Resource Management
Swansea is far bigger than Aber in terms of the student population I personally have never been though. In terms of the course structure with Swansea you have a set of compulsory modules on this pathway every year, and then the rest are electives and you can choose what you want as long as you meet the module per-requisites.
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergradu...cesmanagement/

However the course is very flexible and you can ditch your pathway like I did so I can choose any modules I wanted. (I did Supply Chain Management then transferred to the general pathway. I changed like 4 times, including to add a placement year)
I'm coming from Ireland so I'm a bit nervous but hopefully I should be fine.
Irish people are really cool, you'll be fine! :awesome:
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
both of these universities are relatively large. Aber (8400), Swansea (20,000) students
On the contrary, Aberystwyth is rather small as univerities go, while Swansea is just in the largest third. The OP should note how isolated the west of Wales coast is from large towns, and how its students amount to 50% of the town's population. Swansea, on the other hand, is a sizeable place of around a quarter of a million people. The character is utterly different, and one may appeal more than the other.
Memunat
Rep:
?
Yes, hopefully. Thank you for all of the advice. I recently did my accommodation application
Memunat
Rep:
?
And my grant application is gonna be sent out soon
(Original post by Good bloke)
On the contrary, Aberystwyth is rather small as univerities go, while Swansea is just in the largest third. The OP should note how isolated the west of Wales coast is from large towns, and how its students amount to 50% of the town's population. Swansea, on the other hand, is a sizeable place of around a quarter of a million people. The character is utterly different, and one may appeal more than the other.
So are you saying Swansea is so bigger place than Aber because I don't think I can make the open day at Swansea.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

So are you saying Swansea is so bigger place than Aber because I don't think I can make the open day at Swansea.
You probably won't get bored of Swansea as it has everything you need in terms of entertainment and if you did Cardiff is only 45 minutes away, the capital of Wales. Some areas of Swansea where if you move out of halls is literally dominated by students such as Brynmill and Uplands in Swansea where there's more students than local residents. Swansea is likely to be a lot more urbanised compared to Aber.
Last edited by Themysticalegg; 2 years ago
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Don't the numbers i gave speak for themselves? Swansea: 20,000 students in a city of 250,000; Aber, 8,500 students in a town of 16,000 (and I don't know whether that includes the students or not). Swansea is big, Aber is tiny.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Don't the numbers i gave speak for themselves? Swansea: 20,000 students in a city of 250,000; Aber, 8,500 students in a town of 16,000 (and I don't know whether that includes the students or not). Swansea is big, Aber is tiny.
Good point, I was only saying Aber was relatively large in the sense that in a population of 8500 students I'm sure you would find a lot of like minded people. (Apologies should of worded it better, was quite misleading)

Back to OP the lifestyle would be quite different if 50% go home for the weekend, as many of the students may be living in neighbouring towns. An interesting thing I found is many people I got to know at Swansea come from areas outside of Wales or further than Cardiff and did not live within a commutable distance. So you will see a lot of students on nights out, walking around the city etc. So it is very lively.

It depends what you want do you want a fairly busy city or a more homely town.
Last edited by Themysticalegg; 2 years ago
Arisapo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’ve not researched into either a lot but I think it really depends what kind of lifestyle you want and course differences.

They’re both similar in terms of reputation so I wouldn’t base it too much on that or rankings but more about the kind of experience you want. Swansea is a relatively big city (in comparison with Aber at least), while Aber is much quieter with a smaller student body.

You must have a preference as to what kind of experience you’d prefer, then base it off that.
Student Roost - Swansea
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Swansea is a lovely place to study, there is lots going on! Its right on the beach front, and Cardiff is a short distance away if you want to hit the Welsh capital
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Student Roost - Swansea)
Swansea is a lovely place to study, there is lots going on! Its right on the beach front, and Cardiff is a short distance away if you want to hit the Welsh capital
Never been in your accommodation in Swansea but boy does it look nice from the number 10 bus!
Student Roost - Swansea
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
Never been in your accommodation in Swansea but boy does it look nice from the number 10 bus!
Amazing thanks! Feel free to pop in next time you're passing - we love visitors
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is a huge difference between Swansea and Aber. Basically Aber is a small seaside town whereas Swansea is a city. Have you thought of just coming over to visit outside of the open day. You can call at the campus and walk around the city without open days. If you contact the department they might have somebody available to meet you. There wont be campus tours but you can self guide. You might have problems viewing accommodation. You wont have problems due to your nationality as Swansea has students from around the world including Africa, Asia, Europe and North and South America as. well as various parts of the USA.

Another factor is how do you get here. This will depend on where you live in Ireland and whether you intend travelling by plane or Ferry. If your coming by ferry through Holyhead you might find Aber easier. If coming by plane Swansea might be easier as there are airports in Cardiff and Bristol. The nearest airport to Aber is Birmingham. Road travel is far easier to Swansea as it is just off the M4 whereas there is no motorway near Aber. Aber is very isolated. There are no large towns near it. Swansea has towns larger than Aber within 20 minutes plus Cardiff an hour way. You can get to Bristol and Bath within 2 hours by train from Swansea and London and Birmingham within 3.

Last edited by swanseajack1; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
7.32%
I need help researching courses (3)
7.32%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
7.32%
I need help with my personal statement (20)
48.78%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (9)
21.95%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.44%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
4.88%

Watched Threads