Facebook bans UK far right groups and leaders Watch

Themysticalegg
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Although I am not a fan of these groups by any means do you believe this infringes on freedom of speech and could be perceived as censorship and is it right to ban these groups from Facebook?

Background:

Facebook said it had taken the action because those involved had proclaimed a "violent or hateful mission".
"Individuals and organisations who spread hate, or attack or call for the exclusion of others on the basis of who they are, have no place on Facebook," the social network added in a statement.

The ban includes:
  • The British National Party and its ex-leader Nick Griffin
  • Britain First, its leader Paul Golding and former deputy leader Jayda Fransen
  • English Defence League and its founding member Paul Ray
  • Knights Templar International and its promoter Jim Dowson
  • National Front and its leader Tony Martin
  • Jack Renshaw, a neo-Nazi who plotted to murder a Labour MP

Source:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47974579
xDron3
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The more you try and silence these groups, the louder they become.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
(Original post by xDron3)
The more you try and silence these groups, the louder they become.
Yep the minority will become more outspoken as they see their rights infringed on which will only anger them more.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nobody has an inherent right to use any particular platform. Facebook has every right to say who can and who can't use the services it owns, and says as much in it's Ts and Cs.

If you don't like that, don't join.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nah, buck sick of all this free speech whining, if you want an online platform contact a hosting company and buy one like everyone else. Stop insisting you have a right to mooch off and stink up other peoples spaces.
Moments
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Facebook can ban who they want. Their company, their rules.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Nobody has an inherent right to use any particular platform. Facebook has every right to say who can and who can't use the services it owns, and says as much in it's Ts and Cs.

If you don't like that, don't join.
That argument is a really stupid one, sure they have the right to do that but is it right to do that.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
Nah, buck sick of all this free speech whining, if you want an online platform contact a hosting company and buy one like everyone else. Stop insisting you have a right to mooch off and stink up other peoples spaces.
Very fair point, personally I agree with you just get rid of the rubbish (my opinion, but if others like these groups then fair enough not my place to judge) and it's up to the provider. :lol:
Last edited by Themysticalegg; 4 weeks ago
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
That argument is a really stupid one, sure they have the right to do that but is it right to do that.
Their trainset, their rules.

If it turns out that it's a decision that hurts them (financially), they'll change their minds.

But who is deciding what's "right" in this context?
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Their trainset, their rules.

If it turns out that it's a decision that hurts them (financially), they'll change their minds.

But who is deciding what's "right" in this context?
im sure if facebook started banning all gay people or all black people from the platform you would not be going "well they technically CAN do it".

People can decide for themselves if it is right but arguing that "they can do it so its ok" is just useless.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lol
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
Lol
:lol:
xDron3
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I wouldn't have a problem with any of this, however Facebook allows child abuse, rape, death and murder on my timeline and when I've reported it's not fallen out of their guidelines apparently while I've been banned before due to a rant on travellers. Seems very inconsistent.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
im sure if facebook started banning all gay people or all black people from the platform you would not be going "well they technically CAN do it".

People can decide for themselves if it is right but arguing that "they can do it so its ok" is just useless.
Show me where I said they can "so it's ok". I simply said they can and that by signing up to the platform you agree with that.

If you don't think it's right, then don't sign up.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Personally I pretty much would say that. They'd likely be in hot water due to race and sexuality being legally protected characteristics....but to me it's the same logic, As Drew basically said, if you don't like the way they run their trainset don't ask to play with it.

Like my neighbour has every right in the world to sit in his house and tell racist jokes to himself, distasteful but his space, his rules....if he starts shouting in the close...we've got a problem, as he is stinking up a shared public space...if he starts insisting he has any sort of right to enter MY house and tell racist jokes we've got a HUGE problem.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Show me where I said they can "so it's ok". I simply said they can and that by signing up to the platform you agree with that.

If you don't think it's right, then don't sign up.

"Their trainset, their rules."

"Nobody has an inherent right to use any particular platform. Facebook has every right to say who can and who can't use the services it owns, and says as much in it's Ts and Cs."
"If you don't think it's right, then don't sign up."

The problem is the amount of power that Facebook and other simmilar social media platforms hold, this is not some random site that no one cares about banning people on a whim, this is the biggest social media site in the world banning certain people and ideologies from being on the platform, this is essentially what china does with its social media (weibo). This will lead to more censorship, I also dont see communists and other radical left wing people being banned.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

"Their trainset, their rules."

"Nobody has an inherent right to use any particular platform. Facebook has every right to say who can and who can't use the services it owns, and says as much in it's Ts and Cs."
"If you don't think it's right, then don't sign up."

The problem is the amount of power that Facebook and other simmilar social media platforms hold, this is not some random site that no one cares about banning people on a whim, this is the biggest social media site in the world banning certain people and ideologies from being on the platform, this is essentially what china does with its social media (weibo). This will lead to more censorship, I also dont see communists and other radical left wing people being banned.
Cute use of bold and underline. Well done. Doesn't actually prove anything though.

The power of social media is a separate issue. A legitimate one, for sure, but irrelevant here.
And they've not been banned because they're far right, but because of what they do - as mentioned in the OP.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Cute use of bold and underline. Well done. Doesn't actually prove anything though.

The power of social media is a separate issue. A legitimate one, for sure, but irrelevant here.
And they've not been banned because they're far right, but because of what they do - as mentioned in the OP.
I often use bold and underline along with quotes to make it explicitly clear that I am quoting someone, and this time I quoted you as proof that you are basically saying its ok because the rules say so.

It is actually highly relevant, this is incredibly important as "far right" is constantly being used against people who are not far right. and yes this is a very clear attack on the right wing.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I often use bold and underline along with quotes to make it explicitly clear that I am quoting someone, and this time I quoted you as proof that you are basically saying its ok because the rules say so.
Except I didn't say that.

So if you've got nothing to actually add, I'm going to zone you out to the background noise that you are. Ttfn.
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Almost all of them (except Renshaw) are welcome to join Gab and encourage other people to move across. Or they can loudly whine about how victimised they are. Based on what the far right is good at, they'll do the latter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (518)
26.23%
The paper was reasonable (861)
43.59%
Not feeling great about that exam (387)
19.59%
It was TERRIBLE (209)
10.58%

Watched Threads