Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I know you use LiAlH4 to reduce a nitrile but I am confused whether you add dilute acid or not as 1 textbook says add dilute and the other doesn't say anything about it.So do you also add dilute acid?
sotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
adding dilute acid wouldn't make sense to me as it would introduce H+ which would react with the hydride ions produced by the reducing agent, therefore you couldn't reduce the nitrile
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
(Original post by sotor)
adding dilute acid wouldn't make sense to me as it would introduce H+ which would react with the hydride ions produced by the reducing agent, therefore you couldn't reduce the nitrile
How do you make a primary amine from a halogenoalkane?
sotor
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
i dont know the full mechanism as it isnt on my spec, but you dissolve the halogenoalkane and ammonia in ethanol
step one produces an ammonium salt which then reacts with another ammonia molecule in step two to produce an ammonium salt and a primary amine
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
(Original post by sotor)
i dont know the full mechanism as it isnt on my spec, but you dissolve the halogenoalkane and ammonia in ethanol
step one produces an ammonium salt which then reacts with another ammonia molecule in step two to produce an ammonium salt and a primary amine
Thank you.I do edexcel what exam board do you do?
alstudent_2019
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
react with Ammonia
Nuc substitution
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
(Original post by alstudent_2019)
react with Ammonia
Nuc substitution
In my textbook it says convert the halogenoalkane to a nitrile by using KCN in ethanol and heat under reflux then reduce the nitrile using LiAlH4 in dry ether.
alstudent_2019
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In my textbook it says convert the halogenoalkane to a nitrile by using KCN in ethanol and heat under reflux then reduce the nitrile using LiAlH4 in dry ether.
i think ur quoting the wrong person.
u asked how to make amine from halogenoalkane then its ammonia and the halogenoalkane in alcholic conditions

i think you're talking about nitriles which theres ways to go from halogenoalkane to nitrile and nitrile to amine which is where u use LiALH4 in dry ether, or react with H2 gas in presence of nicket catalyst and high temp pressure but my book says u add HCl at the end if u use the LiALH4 method.
sotor
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you.I do edexcel what exam board do you do?
OCR
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
(Original post by alstudent_2019)
i think ur quoting the wrong person.
u asked how to make amine from halogenoalkane then its ammonia and the halogenoalkane in alcholic conditions

i think you're talking about nitriles which theres ways to go from halogenoalkane to nitrile and nitrile to amine which is where u use LiALH4 in dry ether, or react with H2 gas in presence of nicket catalyst and high temp pressure but my book says u add HCl at the end if u use the LiALH4 method.
Thank you for your reply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (21)
30.88%
No (47)
69.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise