Understanding Facebook active status on mobile! Watch

Hutchypro
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Please help!

I have the mobile Facebook app.
When I click on a friends chat it opens our messages. At the top is the profile pic of the them and a green dot indicating online. When I click to open our chat it can say 'active now' then if I come out of our chat again and go back into it, it can still have their green dot showing but now saying 'active 1m ago' or even 'active 2m ago' and so on. Then I come out and back in again and it can be 'active now' again.

Can someone explain what this means?

Is this 'active now' meaning they can be just browsing Facebook and then leave the app open without doing anything and it goes to 'active 1m ago' while the phone is sitting doing nothing or is the 'active now' part meaning they are actually TYPING a message to someone at that moment? And when they stop messaging it goes to 'active 1m ago' again.

Please can someone shed any light on this please?
Last edited by Hutchypro; 6 months ago
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Hutchypro)
Please help!

I have the mobile Facebook app.
When I click on a friends chat it opens our messages. At the top is the profile pic of the them and a green dot indicating online. When I click to open our chat it can say 'active now' then if I come out of our chat again and go back into it, it can still have their green dot showing but now saying 'active 1m ago' or even 'active 2m ago' and so on. Then I come out and back in again and it can be 'active now' again.

Can someone explain what this means?

Is this 'active now' meaning they can be just browsing Facebook and then leave the app open without doing anything and it goes to 'active 1m ago' while the phone is sitting doing nothing or is the 'active now' part meaning they are actually TYPING a message to someone at that moment? And when they stop messaging it goes to 'active 1m ago' again.

Please can someone shed any light on this please?
Activity indicators aren't the most accurate. Think how many different ways you can have facebook/messenger open and either be engaged with it or have it somewhere else. It's not consistent. Where people are using desktop and switching between multiple tabs it could update to say they are active when the reality is they aren't. Other times it could be typing a long message to someone doesn't count as interaction with the site so they appear as active a few minutes ago.. when in reality they are active. Don't pay too much attention to it.. it's a general guide and an unhealthy obsession if it's a for a certain someone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads