Not sure if this is a modelling scam help

Watch
Chrisbo92
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've applied for various modeling jobs and one got back to me called phase one management you can't really search for them on Google unless you type phase1m (which I found out after visiting their website) but the link in their email seems to work. They have a nice looking website, it has an Instagram link but it doesn't work it just takes you back to their page which has pictures of past models. Anyway they sent me an email and a text so I called them and they want to work with me but I have to pay a £50 deposit which I will get back. The guy Adam I spoke to said it was because of people who book an appointment then don't turn up so it was to cover losses because of it. I wasn't sure so I said that I would think about it I left it a bit longer than a week and he has called a few times now. I spoke to him again today and said that I couldn't find much about the company online and the studio (le'pel studios) and that the Instagram link on his website didn't work and that I didn't want this to be a scam, so asked if I could meet him in person, come to the office. He said I couldn't come to the office because of health and safety and also for client confidentiality, I asked why that was after he said a few other things, and he said it's not so much health and safety is in case people try to take pictures of clothes etc. In regards to the Instagram link he said that it must have been a typo and that it shouldn't be on there after him saying that they don't have any social media that's why I wouldn't have found much about them on the internet. He then carried on saying how good it would be to work together and that to not just do it for them but yourself and that he didn't want me to pass on the opportunity. He then also name dropped "Stormzy" (even though he said there was confidentiality) and said that one of their projects was coming to an end soon and that they can't hold on the slot forever because of other applicants. He tried to convince me alot over the phone but I still don't trust him, is it even normal for them to call you this many times? I just really don't know what to do can anyone help?
Last edited by Chrisbo92; 1 year ago
ThePootisPower
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The £50 pound deposit is the first red flag, the lies about social media is the second, and the third is the fact that phase 1 management won’t even let you visit them.

DO NOT TRUST THIS JOB. get work literally anywhere else.
Chrisbo92
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for the quick reply, I thought so do you know of any places that are reputable?
Massibbestia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
HI! I also go today there and they make photo to me.. Look like enough professional but they ask me money to put portfolio that they make on their website and have 1 year contract.. You did at the end?
Chrisbo92
Rep:
?
No I didn't in the end, I'm guessing you had to pay alot for your portfolio though?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Massibbestia)
HI! I also go today there and they make photo to me.. Look like enough professional but they ask me money to put portfolio that they make on their website and have 1 year contract.. You did at the end?
You've been ripped off
Chrisbo92
Rep:
?
(Original post by Massibbestia)
They don't have portfolios on their website, even the Instagram links don't work on there I told they guy about it and he said that "they weren't there" then he said "oh they were a mistake and he's gonna get someone to take them down"
Shayden2002
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your account of events. Your statement has just proven to my 16 year old son of the scam.Kind regardsShirley.
Rozsnyai
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi thanks for the advice. I just received an email that I was selected for a photo shoot session to assess my potential. After aplying on instagram But asking me the 50 £ deposit put me off...on what ground shall I pay this? No way. I think it's a scam. A real agency does not ask money....
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some general life advice: if you have to ask "is this a scam?" about anything, the answer is usually "yes".
thandor20
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I went today there and after reading all these msg me there.alex
Rozsnyai
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok just don't give them any money
hejsa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was scammed by this company and am collecting information against their fraud so please send me a message with your story if you have been involved. And remember that it is better to speak up even though scams like these makes you feel horrible and embarrassed. It could happen to anyone and I need your voice. Thank you.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Chrisbo92)
I've applied for various modeling jobs and one got back to me called phase one management you can't really search for them on Google unless you type phase1m (which I found out after visiting their website) but the link in their email seems to work. They have a nice looking website, it has an Instagram link but it doesn't work it just takes you back to their page which has pictures of past models. Anyway they sent me an email and a text so I called them and they want to work with me but I have to pay a £50 deposit which I will get back. The guy Adam I spoke to said it was because of people who book an appointment then don't turn up so it was to cover losses because of it. I wasn't sure so I said that I would think about it I left it a bit longer than a week and he has called a few times now. I spoke to him again today and said that I couldn't find much about the company online and the studio (le'pel studios) and that the Instagram link on his website didn't work and that I didn't want this to be a scam, so asked if I could meet him in person, come to the office. He said I couldn't come to the office because of health and safety and also for client confidentiality, I asked why that was after he said a few other things, and he said it's not so much health and safety is in case people try to take pictures of clothes etc. In regards to the Instagram link he said that it must have been a typo and that it shouldn't be on there after him saying that they don't have any social media that's why I wouldn't have found much about them on the internet. He then carried on saying how good it would be to work together and that to not just do it for them but yourself and that he didn't want me to pass on the opportunity. He then also name dropped "Stormzy" (even though he said there was confidentiality) and said that one of their projects was coming to an end soon and that they can't hold on the slot forever because of other applicants. He tried to convince me alot over the phone but I still don't trust him, is it even normal for them to call you this many times? I just really don't know what to do can anyone help?
Hi, hmmm this doesnt sound right. You shouldnt really have to pay a deposit. I think steer clear as there are a lot of modelling scam places. Just stick to the ones you know are ok.
Hope this helps.
Sophia
cindy62
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! I was there on 12th of May and they said they'll give me my deposit of £50 back. That never happened and no one picks up when I call them either. :-/
(Original post by hejsa)
I was scammed by this company and am collecting information against their fraud so please send me a message with your story if you have been involved. And remember that it is better to speak up even though scams like these makes you feel horrible and embarrassed. It could happen to anyone and I need your voice. Thank you.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Just put Lepel studio in the search bar on this site and the address of the owner comes up. Wright directly to him for your money back.
Merrry
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve had a call from a guy called mark. That I was selected, told me I’m beautiful and my eyes are amazing and I’m wat they could be looking for. Asked for me to come for a shoot. And get to know abit more about me. Said they based in Hackney London. And a deposit of 170. I’ve had 4 calls one email.and one text. I was told to bring lots of changes of clothes and to be myself. Not booked a date with Marc, Marcus yet
Bannbass
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got a phone call from the so called modelling agency, on Thursday and they booked me in for Saturday, on Friday afternoon one of the agents called and asked to speak to my mother mind you been 30 years of age I was a little taken back, asked me if I had my outfit ready outfits ???? If it’s just a casting to see how I am in front of the camera why do I need to bring clothes first red flag . Then he went on to say how major directors would be there why so much effort, your not sure what I look in real life or how I photograph , red flag. Anyway I went this is a photography studio in old street this is just a photography studio, nothing else, I had to fill out a form I stated I had a portfolio and I had done some work, the makeup just to clarify she’s a makeup artists went on to say they worked with new only new models not existing ones as they helped you bullied your portfolio, So this is not a modelling casting to see if they will add you on to there books this a photography studio. Where they only take pictures of you nothing else !!!!!! It’s a SCAM and it’s very sad they put young girls and boys throw all this. If they were such good photographers and makeup Artist they would not need to lie they would promote the craft for what it is and nothing else, clear there not !!!!! if you take pictures with them they won’t be the best quality, as they need to fabricate a story. So I did a little digging there counts are door mate why such a major company have a door mate accounts ? there registered to another company name , there company was not running for sometime just look them up on company house they are Fakes. No one should ever charge you to meet you first red flag. Ps there was no sins of any Directors or anyone a part from 3 woman walking for the photography studio. Holly
Samra1999
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I went for a shoot Saturday passed the assessment brought my 5 outfits they wanted me to purchase a portfolio minimum was 1800 wasn’t gonna pay it I spoke to Richard and mike they said I didn’t need to purchase one it’s okay then I spoke to Laurance he said u need to buy the photos for 200 so that he could work with them and get me work I don’t no if I should give them 200 for the photos
Jerrel
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You can’t apply to be a model and expect everything to be paid for ... what happens when u don’t put your 100% into anymore or you decided it’s not what you want basically the modelling agency will lose every investment and money they spent on you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (79)
21.94%
No (281)
78.06%

Watched Threads