?
Report 4 weeks ago
Went to crap when David Tennant left
Neilos
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Was good, then still quite good, then tolerable, but it's been crap for a few years now.
I'm God
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Doctor Who?

Spoiler:
Show
Pretty much agree with DrawTheLine, but I think Matt Smith was kinda good, though I didn't watch more than a few episodes after David Tennant left.
Ardell
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There are still a few good episodes that we occasionally get. My favorite episode is "heaven sent" with Peter Capaldi.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
mini.me
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i must say it was quite good all the way until peter capaldi, then Jodie whittaker came and i thought I'd give her a chance but it just got too political and historical.. I preferred the crazy, weird aspect of DW.
Max1989
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah it was great until half way through Matt Smith, when they solely focused on teh main plot rather than good old episodic things. This is where it went wrong, it decided to go for an overall plot rather than episodic with a hint of a plot in the background, I couldn't stand Peter (he's a good actor just don't know why didn't like him in this) Jodie is okay, but it's not great and it certainly not Doctor Who.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
not been the same since The Master left

:emo:
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
not been the same since The Master left

:emo:
The episodes with the Toclafane and Tennant :sogood:
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 8472)
The episodes with the Toclafane and Tennant :sogood:
also The Brigadier :emo:
CoolCavy
  • Chat Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I love it just not the capaldi ones or one with cringla in :nothing:
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Never liked it.
Dalek1099
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Doctor Who is being abused to send political messages rather than sci-fi/fantasy. No show other than a politics show should be based on politics. Shows like Doctor Who can reference, allude and use metaphorical political messages but the focus of the show has to be on sci-fi/fantasy, monsters and adventure. I would say that I do think Jodie Whittaker does protray The Doctor well but thats probably the only good thing about the new series(although I would admit there were a few good episodes most of them were bad).

I think this interview with Chris Chibnall really illustrates to me that he doesn't understand what Doctor Who is about.
https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2...s-fundamental/
“you want to be writing about the world that we live in.
“And when it comes to things that affect people’s lives – I think particularly things that children and young adults are going through – that feels really important. - Notice how this sort of interview is exactly what you would expect if Chibnall was writing a soap not a fantasy/sci-fi series. Moreover, I can't be the only one to think that the issues raised seem a bit first world and not that important compared to the real issues (unemployment,mental and physical disability,starvation,homeless,a ddiction etc.) people face.
“I think the character of the Doctor, and [her friends] as well, is a great conduit into discussing all thatand then you add monsters as well,”- this shows that the monsters are no longer the main point of the show instead the point of the show is to explore so called real life issues with a political agenda and notice how some episodes are deliberate attempts to brainwash people like deliberately getting Ryan to say he is searched more than his mates implying that the Police are racist(research online shows that searches are just as successful with black and white people so no evidence of racism) and deliberately trying to imply that only women were killed for being witches in the witchhunt and that The Doctor wouldn't be seen as suspicious if she wasn't a woman(watch the classic series Chibnall).

On the other hand, the show has really big issues with terrible acting, boring and unimaginative storylines(Chibnall needs to think outside the box like Heaven Sent or the Cyberman Black Hole story), lack of danger and bad scene setting(tone and music) possibly due to bad directing/producing which have been a big problem in recent years but were much worse in the recent series. The music needs to be much stronger to make the audience feel what the characters are feeling and really set the tone.

Furthermore, I feel as if the show isn't adapting to the audience needs of the 21st century something Russell T Davies really understood. The show needs to be a lot more action packed rather than going along at a really slow pace as it is with Chibnall. Russell also understood that modern people want to see relationships in TV Shows because it is the perfect fantasy to fall in love with your true love and Doctor Who is fantasy.

If you want to watch a time travel show that is doing things correctly and is exactly what I think Doctor Who should be its Legends of Tomorrow. To be fair on Doctor Who Legends of Tomorrow has a much bigger budget but that is only one good part of the show.

What I would do if I took over Doctor Who:
Limit CGI - when you haven't got a good budget CGI is really not worth doing very expensive and not that effective(focus on using CGI for only spaceships/planets like they mainly did when Russell T Davies was in charge).
Instead create lots of cheap prosthetic monsters for The Doctor to battle and reinvent the show by making it more like Jon Pertwee's Doctor Who stories where The Doctor actually battled the monsters and was very strong.
Use the money saved by limiting CGI to bring in better actors/actresses as the storylines won't be believable if this isn't the case. Make sure to use strong music to set the tone and more closely keep the music like Gold's music or maybe like The Tomb of the Cyberman music(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIIKGc6jL8Y) from the classic series.
Limit political references to being metaphorical like The Doctor encountering a bit of racism in an alien society.
Ensure most if not all episodes have monsters as bad guys or at least aliens who are trying to hurt people/aliens maybe due to what humans/aliens have done.
Reintroduce cliffhangers and make sure The Doctor and her companions get into lots of life threatening situations rather than being very passive as in Rosa and Demons of the Punjab. If I did decide to do a historical adventure I would ensure The Doctor and her companions got into a lot of danger and rather than it being boring and this was how the historicals in the 1960s were done with The Doctor and his companions often getting locked up or having to fight people like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLPR_uB4-5s(notice how the ending is a lot darker than current Doctor Who as well).
Introduce some romantic relationships not necessarily between The Doctor and her companions but maybe between companions.
Last edited by Dalek1099; 4 weeks ago
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
imagine if willy wonka was sent to save the world...annoyingly quirky. not endearingly.

and **** CGI, its almost an insult.

boring and a bad example of british telly
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Went downhill after Tennant left, didn't bother with Capaldi, then heard about the erm... new one. Atleast Tennant's send off was fantastic.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
the Daleks = leavers

the Doctor & his team = Remain
idk01
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It was all good until they wanted the casting to be more 'politically acceptable'...
Randoman019
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Went to crap when David Tennant left
Series 5 was good though?
Randoman019
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vikingninja)
Went downhill after Tennant left, didn't bother with Capaldi, then heard about the erm... new one. Atleast Tennant's send off was fantastic.
Get how you feel lmao. Hated Capaldi, couldn't stand him. Switched of for ages. But swear down, you will change your mind if you re-watch him. He's so *ucking good. His speeches n stuff and his regeneration episode is so sad Trust me, worth rewatching
Randoman019
Rep:
?
Personally, I really don't see why everyone is roasting anything after Tennant to be honest lol.

I do get that everything did go downhill after RTD and Tennant left (Yes, I just contradicted myself) but it wasn't that bad lol.
I think it was simply Doctor Who. The stories were strange and imaginative as fu** and Smith's acting n chemistry with the other actors was bloody brilliant.
I won't even go on about how good of a Doctor he was.

I actually didn't bother with Capaldi but on re-watch, holy *hit I had no idea what a good Doctor he was. His speech in the zygon episode and thin ice and various others were pretty spectacular ngl.
The only problem he had was that his stories were bloody awful, but his acting and his Doctor had no problems imo.
After the re-watch I had trouble ranking 12. He's so good that I honestly consider him up there at the number 1 position with 10 and 11. His regeneration episode was as sad as any other (Ok not as sad as 11s, but pretty ducking amazing)

Now of course, we got 13. Who I still don't see why everyone says she's bad, cos she's not.
She doesn't give off "Holy macarel that's the Doctor" vibes.
Like, you know she's the Doctor, but more of an impersonation.
The writing team (specifically Chibnall) really can't write characters for sugar.
Very 2 dimensional. No depth or anything.
Like before, we knew the Doc had pain and loss and tragedy and a load of other stuff, and now it's just not there. It's annoying, cos I like her as the Doctor, but I don't like her character if that makes sense.
There were no speeches, average music, hardly saw the TARDIS and what exactly was the point of a custard cream dispenser if you don't see it for the entire series??
I don't blame Jodie at all. She's fantastic. But Chibnall is positively utterly awful. He honestly can't write a decent Who episode.

rant over soz
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (38)
5.72%
Fairly positive (217)
32.68%
Just another year... (263)
39.61%
Is it 2020 yet? (146)
21.99%

Watched Threads