The Student Room Group

amines chemistry help

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me with a question on this chemistry paper. For 2b, firstly how do you work out the reducing agent? What mechanism even is it from which you can deduce this? Also why is the benzene bond angle 120 and the cyclohexane angle 109.5? Is there a way to work this out or is this just something to learn? any help would be appreciated, thanks. http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Chemistry/A-level/Topic-Qs/AQA/Organic-II/3.11-Amines/Set-F/Preparation%201%20QP.pdf
Original post by Bertybassett
Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me with a question on this chemistry paper. For 2b, firstly how do you work out the reducing agent? What mechanism even is it from which you can deduce this? Also why is the benzene bond angle 120 and the cyclohexane angle 109.5? Is there a way to work this out or is this just something to learn? any help would be appreciated, thanks. http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Chemistry/A-level/Topic-Qs/AQA/Organic-II/3.11-Amines/Set-F/Preparation%201%20QP.pdf

So for hydrogenation of benzene, the reducing agent is just H2 (think it's just something you need to know) and it uses a Ni catalyst. Not sure about the mechanism, I don't have it in my spec but may be in a different spec.
For the bond angles, the C atoms in benzene are bonded to 3 other atoms (2x C and 1x H) and have no lone pairs, so follow a trigonal planar shape with bonding angle 120 degrees, whilst in cyclohexane, the C atoms are bonded to 4 other atoms (2xC and 2xH) so follow a tetrahedral structure with bond angles of 109.5 degrees.
Original post by TODTEMPLE01
So for hydrogenation of benzene, the reducing agent is just H2 (think it's just something you need to know) and it uses a Ni catalyst. Not sure about the mechanism, I don't have it in my spec but may be in a different spec.
For the bond angles, the C atoms in benzene are bonded to 3 other atoms (2x C and 1x H) and have no lone pairs, so follow a trigonal planar shape with bonding angle 120 degrees, whilst in cyclohexane, the C atoms are bonded to 4 other atoms (2xC and 2xH) so follow a tetrahedral structure with bond angles of 109.5 degrees.

thanks for the help. I'm doing aqa and couldn't find it either. which exam board are you on?
Original post by Bertybassett
thanks for the help. I'm doing aqa and couldn't find it either. which exam board are you on?

No problem. I'm on OCR A

Quick Reply

Latest