Irish Junior and Leaving Certificate for Maths Watch

adamisntdead
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello!

I am in Ireland, and I want to apply to Cambridge to study maths in 2020.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Irish exam system, and UCAS/getting into oxbridge?

I know that GCSE results usually have to be quite good, but I am not really sure if I have good enough Junior Certificate results.

A - Maths
A - History
A - Science
B - Religion
B - Business
B - Music
B - English
C - Geography
C - Irish
D - French

The only subjects from that list that I have kept for the leaving certificate is Maths, English and Science (with compulsory Irish).
Doones
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by adamisntdead)
Hello!

I am in Ireland, and I want to apply to Cambridge to study maths in 2020.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Irish exam system, and UCAS/getting into oxbridge?

I know that GCSE results usually have to be quite good, but I am not really sure if I have good enough Junior Certificate results.

A - Maths
A - History
A - Science
B - Religion
B - Business
B - Music
B - English
C - Geography
C - Irish
D - French

The only subjects from that list that I have kept for the leaving certificate is Maths, English and Science (with compulsory Irish).
For Cambridge your maths is the most important thing, more so than your junior certs.

But do you have the option to study further/additional maths in the leaving cert?

I'm going to tag Peterhouse Admissions & Christ's Admissions for thoughts on Irish applicants for Maths at Cambridge...
Christ's Admissions
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As far as I am aware, almost all successful ILC applicants for Maths at Cambridge, have historically, taken both Mathematics and Applied Mathematics, usually with Physics rather than combined Science, so that would be the ideal if available to the OP. (In terms of offers, most colleges would require A1 in both Maths and Applied Maths; some would also ask for A1 in Physics.)

But broadly speaking, the best approach is - as ever - to do as much Maths as possible.
(Original post by Doones)
For Cambridge your maths is the most important thing, more so than your junior certs.

But do you have the option to study further/additional maths in the leaving cert?

I'm going to tag Peterhouse Admissions & Christ's Admissions for thoughts on Irish applicants for Maths at Cambridge...
Last edited by Christ's Admissions; 4 weeks ago
adamisntdead
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Yeah, my leaving certificate subjects are Maths, Applied Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Technical Drawing (DCG), English and Irish. I think my teachers will predict 5 H1s and a H3 in English.

I was more wondering would I be at a disadvantage from my junior certificate results? I don't really know how junior cert grades compare to GCSEs.
Doones
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by adamisntdead)
I was more wondering would I be at a disadvantage from my junior certificate results? I don't really know how junior cert grades compare to GCSEs.
No, Cambridge has no minimum requirements for GCSEs or equivalent qualifications

I have seen Maths applicants with "worse" GCSEs get offers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (193)
22.65%
The paper was reasonable (357)
41.9%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
19.37%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
16.08%

Watched Threads