The Student Room Group

russian a-level

hey there, I just registered here though I’ve been here for the whole year. i’m an international student from Kazakhstan and I’m native kazakh and russian speaker. at the beginning of the study year, I took 4 a-levels - maths, economics, business studies and russian language. recently, I dropped maths cuz i couldn’t do it anymore, it was too hard for me and I wasn’t even interested it it, so nowadays I have three subjects, including russian. is it acceptable if I’m kazakh though i speak russian fluently. I’m worried about it a lot because I heard that some unis don’t accept it as the real a-level if native speaker did it. im waiting for ur answers. thanks a lot, x
Last time I was in Ust-Kamenogorsk/Ostemen I tried to speak English, and there were not many takers. Your written English in the question above was OK, not too bad! I'm sure that some universities , just guessing here, places like, York, Lincoln, Kent-Canterbury might well allow you to use a Russian 'A'-level as one of your three for candidature.

The fact that you are in a mostly bilingual society does not mean that you shouldn't be allowed credit for an actual study, it is evidence of your ability. I'm typing this from Italy where it has always been possible for the Brits living here to take a GCSE or 'A'-level in Italian as evidence that they speak the language, usually taking these through the local British Council.

Some 'posh' universities might have "rules", hopefully others on TSR can explain more. There are around 140 universities in UK, and a first analysis suggests that thirty or forty are great value for money. With possible future lower fees, that would bring the V.F.M. to the top hundred?
first of all, thanks for ur answer! I hope u had nice time in Kazakhstan and yeah, there are not a lot of people who speak in English cuz they’re mostly located in Astana (capital) and the biggest cities like Almaty and others.
My main problem is that I speak Russian fluently as typical Russian though I’m Kazakh (probably I know russian even better than Kazakh), that’s why I’m worried a lot about it. I’m year 12 and I’m worried about my future a lot, so... :frown: Anyway, I appreciate that u spent ur time and answered me, thanks a lot, have a nice day🤟🏻
Original post by LuigiMario
Last time I was in Ust-Kamenogorsk/Ostemen I tried to speak English, and there were not many takers. Your written English in the question above was OK, not too bad! I'm sure that some universities , just guessing here, places like, York, Lincoln, Kent-Canterbury might well allow you to use a Russian 'A'-level as one of your three for candidature.

The fact that you are in a mostly bilingual society does not mean that you shouldn't be allowed credit for an actual study, it is evidence of your ability. I'm typing this from Italy where it has always been possible for the Brits living here to take a GCSE or 'A'-level in Italian as evidence that they speak the language, usually taking these through the local British Council.

Some 'posh' universities might have "rules", hopefully others on TSR can explain more. There are around 140 universities in UK, and a first analysis suggests that thirty or forty are great value for money. With possible future lower fees, that would bring the V.F.M. to the top hundred?
Reply 3
Original post by perfumeletters
hey there, I just registered here though I’ve been here for the whole year. i’m an international student from Kazakhstan and I’m native kazakh and russian speaker. at the beginning of the study year, I took 4 a-levels - maths, economics, business studies and russian language. recently, I dropped maths cuz i couldn’t do it anymore, it was too hard for me and I wasn’t even interested it it, so nowadays I have three subjects, including russian. is it acceptable if I’m kazakh though i speak russian fluently. I’m worried about it a lot because I heard that some unis don’t accept it as the real a-level if native speaker did it. im waiting for ur answers. thanks a lot, x

What degree course(s) and universities are you looking at?
probably marketing, still not sure (Original post by ajj2000)
What degree course(s) and universities are you looking at?
so it probably comes down to cost, you could certainly do some "digital marketing" degree in UK

here's a typical "ranking" of the UK universities https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Marketing - I wouldn't pay any attention to "which is best" in the top twenty or so, more important would be the fees, Leeds is great for 3 year course, Strathclyde would be 4 year course.

they might wish to charge you $30K to $40K per year as fees, plus $10K for living costs, maybe somewhere would offer you a bursary or some form of sponsorship. I'm not sure that this enormous $120K spend would be great value for money, it's what some would spend on a house , others on a car.

another 'great' way to do this is to study for three years, ANYWHERE, Astana sorry Nursultana, MockBa, Warsaw, then do a single year 'top-up' Master in Marketing at one of those $30K or $40K universities. You would then need just need one year of high financial support.

If you have a bit more cash available, then very international friendly universities are Oxford, St. Andrews, any of the Russel Group.
If you have less cash available then study on-line, with as much local university access that you can get. There are many open-access schemes from very reputable american academies, avoid people who wish to work as middlemen and sell you things.

Moscow might offer sponsorship, America might offer better sponsorship. Some hard work ahead - it might be easier than you think, it could be hard.
Reply 6
Original post by perfumeletters
probably marketing, still not sure (Original post by ajj2000)

Cool. This topic has come up before and from peoples research most universities (including many high ranking ones) don't object to own language A levels or A levels where people had a notable advantage (for example a native Bulgarian speaker taking Russian). There are exceptions particularly for courses like medicine but it probably won't be a real issue for you.
I’m not sure about my uni choice cuz I might study in another country like Netherlands or the USA. I have enough cash and yeah, thanks for ur answer, I really appreciate it❤️
Original post by LuigiMario
so it probably comes down to cost, you could certainly do some "digital marketing" degree in UK

here's a typical "ranking" of the UK universities https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Marketing - I wouldn't pay any attention to "which is best" in the top twenty or so, more important would be the fees, Leeds is great for 3 year course, Strathclyde would be 4 year course.

they might wish to charge you $30K to $40K per year as fees, plus $10K for living costs, maybe somewhere would offer you a bursary or some form of sponsorship. I'm not sure that this enormous $120K spend would be great value for money, it's what some would spend on a house , others on a car.

another 'great' way to do this is to study for three years, ANYWHERE, Astana sorry Nursultana, MockBa, Warsaw, then do a single year 'top-up' Master in Marketing at one of those $30K or $40K universities. You would then need just need one year of high financial support.

If you have a bit more cash available, then very international friendly universities are Oxford, St. Andrews, any of the Russel Group.
If you have less cash available then study on-line, with as much local university access that you can get. There are many open-access schemes from very reputable american academies, avoid people who wish to work as middlemen and sell you things.

Moscow might offer sponsorship, America might offer better sponsorship. Some hard work ahead - it might be easier than you think, it could be hard.
oh, then less worries about it, thanksss. but actually not all bulgarian speak Russian, most bulgarian in my school can’t speak Russian at all.
Original post by ajj2000
Cool. This topic has come up before and from peoples research most universities (including many high ranking ones) don't object to own language A levels or A levels where people had a notable advantage (for example a native Bulgarian speaker taking Russian). There are exceptions particularly for courses like medicine but it probably won't be a real issue for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending