The Student Room Group

I hate my voice

So im a boy, and i'm self conscious about my voice becuase i can't seem to be expressive with it. (kinda monotone) and i can't shout. Please help..

I also sing songs often in high pitch (hey i couldn't get over losing my kinda beautiful voice pre puberty lol) so has this changed my voice?
i've never met anyone who likes their voice! bearing in mind it sounds different in your ears than others

maybe its puberty? in terms of the singing-that may be a factor but i dont think it would be that big of an influence...

but have you heard that actors voice off glee? yeah just be grateful you're voice isn't that bad but im sure you get used to it and tbh y u gotta shout?
same . my voice is so camp. I hate it I always get mistaken for a female.
Work on making your voice different. A lot of people from school I still talk to have changed everything about their voice - one guy I know went from having a well-spoken quiet voice, to having a really loud, brash, cockney accent, and another was pretty much the latter and didn't speak very clearly, and is now a radio presenter and really sounds the part.
If it's bothering you it might be worth going to your GP and asking to a referral to a speech and language therapist, or seeing one privately. They can give you techniques and exercises to help make your voice more expressive and have more range. But you are usually only given an NHS referral if you have a clear speech problem like a stutter or vocal damage, so I don't know how you would get on.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
same . my voice is so camp. I hate it I always get mistaken for a female.

i think mine used to be camp, might be still who knows lol. But damn someone literally said "are you bisexual? Becuase you have a feminine voice" in front of a group of people.. so embarrassing then haha.
Reply 6
Original post by sfaraj
i've never met anyone who likes their voice! bearing in mind it sounds different in your ears than others

maybe its puberty? in terms of the singing-that may be a factor but i dont think it would be that big of an influence...

but have you heard that actors voice off glee? yeah just be grateful you're voice isn't that bad but im sure you get used to it and tbh y u gotta shout?

Well shout as in be loud. I wanna express my emotions more lol. Like sometimes i imagine myself in a kidnapping situation and think i won't scream or shout for help
Reply 7
Original post by Wheeliebrain
If it's bothering you it might be worth going to your GP and asking to a referral to a speech and language therapist, or seeing one privately. They can give you techniques and exercises to help make your voice more expressive and have more range. But you are usually only given an NHS referral if you have a clear speech problem like a stutter or vocal damage, so I don't know how you would get on.

I'm thinking about it, but i'd rather pay for it (hopefully its not too expensive).
Reply 8
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Work on making your voice different. A lot of people from school I still talk to have changed everything about their voice - one guy I know went from having a well-spoken quiet voice, to having a really loud, brash, cockney accent, and another was pretty much the latter and didn't speak very clearly, and is now a radio presenter and really sounds the part.

How do i make my voice different just wondering? I've seen some youtube videos and i haven't put the effort to search more yet, but there are loads of videos for loads of specific things. And wow, i hope that happens to me lol
Original post by Anonymous
How do i make my voice different just wondering? I've seen some youtube videos and i haven't put the effort to search more yet, but there are loads of videos for loads of specific things. And wow, i hope that happens to me lol

Hanging around people who have the kind of voice you want would probably help. Failing that, you could try to imitate someone who has a similar depth of voice to yourself whose voice you like, record yourself and gradually work on your voice over time like that. I'm not an expert on this having never done it so this might be s*** advice lol, but maybe worth a try.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Hanging around people who have the kind of voice you want would probably help. Failing that, you could try to imitate someone who has a similar depth of voice to yourself whose voice you like, record yourself and gradually work on your voice over time like that. I'm not an expert on this having never done it so this might be s*** advice lol, but maybe worth a try.

does test make your voice deeper?
Original post by I'mComingOxford
does test make your voice deeper?

I mean, it does if you're not yet a man, but once you're into manhood and you've got all you're going to get out of puberty, not really. So it'll only do so to pre-pubescent boys or those that never fully went through it due to hormonal problems, and women if they use testosterone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending