How are CBSE scores interpreted in Australia and UK universities

Watch this thread
NCPC
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi
I am a grade 9 student. I am academically average student mostly score Bs in my grades. I have an option for taking the IB diploma or CBSE. I would prefer CBSE as I find the IB too abstract. However, what I have heard is that children with CBSE scores lose out when applying to UK/Australia uni's aompared to someone who has an IB score. Any idea if thats true. How does a foreign uni (australia/UK/Singapore) convert a cbse score during admission. I am looking at studying Economics or psychology. NOT interested in any Science stream. Advise appreciated
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by NCPC)
Hi
I am a grade 9 student. I am academically average student mostly score Bs in my grades. I have an option for taking the IB diploma or CBSE. I would prefer CBSE as I find the IB too abstract. However, what I have heard is that children with CBSE scores lose out when applying to UK/Australia uni's aompared to someone who has an IB score. Any idea if thats true. How does a foreign uni (australia/UK/Singapore) convert a cbse score during admission. I am looking at studying Economics or psychology. NOT interested in any Science stream. Advise appreciated
Most decent Uni’s in the U.K. will accept Class XII CBSE results just fine. The only way you might ‘lose out’ is if you feel the grades being asked in the CBSE are more challenging than the IB offers for the same courses you are applying for. General, you will find that the IB is more universally accepted so it may keep more options open for you.

An offer from a good U.K. Uni might be to achieve 85% in five Class XII subjects, sometimes with something like Maths as an essential subject.

I’d recommend that you contact Uni’s you are thinking about applying to. They’ll certainly be able to tell you their Class XII offers. Just be sure they know you are taking them under CBSE, as the requirements can vary slightly depending on what boarding is awarding your qualification.
ryancole2001
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I am a 2nd year IB student in Spain. I have received offers from Essex and Sussex universities. when I visited them recently, people there told me that because IB is highly regarded and that they even accept IB students with lower marks than that of their offer from the university. in fact on my Essex uni offer my needed mark was lower for IB than what it said on ther website. btw im going to study Computer science.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (68)
16.08%
The paper was reasonable (207)
48.94%
Not feeling great about that exam... (102)
24.11%
It was TERRIBLE (46)
10.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed