How long did it take you to pass your driving test? Watch

1billion
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have recently done my first manual lesson with my new instructor (having previously done 5 manual lessons with my old instructor).

I feel that I panic too much and am terrible at multi-tasking. My new instructor said he's really good and can generally prepare students for the test within around 20 lessons, and he shows a good track record of passes. However, I doubt that this would happen in my case considering my crap driving.

Sometimes I just feel like giving up and crawling up in a hole somewhere because I feel I will never be able to properly drive.

Any tips?
SS__
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I also felt quite a bit of panic and thought I couldn’t get the multi-tasking on lock, but it gets there with practice. As you learn more and get closer to the end, you’ll feel more natural and confident, hopefully
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
GabbieShortie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm in the same kind of boat, I'm only on my 4th hour!

On their site, someone passed in 17 hours 17 for god's sake! I am getting better at steering from the last lesson - better at turning (nearly there with the no-crossing kinda). Gears are another story I drive smoothly enough and then *change gears please to ___" I am like :eek: Oh ****. panic etc. this is near roundabouts he says change gear and I panic don't know why... I throw all sense out the window. Going up gears to get moving or just when we are speeding up it's fine (unless I accidentally choose wrong gear I'm learning lol) roundabouts just oh lord. I did better at gears in my first lesson so maybe I'm having an off day? I don't know but jeez.
1billion
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GabbieShortie)
I'm in the same kind of boat, I'm only on my 4th hour!

On their site, someone passed in 17 hours 17 for god's sake! I am getting better at steering from the last lesson - better at turning (nearly there with the no-crossing kinda). Gears are another story I drive smoothly enough and then *change gears please to ___" I am like :eek: Oh ****. panic etc. this is near roundabouts he says change gear and I panic don't know why... I throw all sense out the window. Going up gears to get moving or just when we are speeding up it's fine (unless I accidentally choose wrong gear I'm learning lol) roundabouts just oh lord. I did better at gears in my first lesson so maybe I'm having an off day? I don't know but jeez.
My previous instructor would panic and yell when I use to make mistakes like stalling the car or taking too long to change gears, so I changed him. My current instructor looks promising, but only had one lesson with him so far. But I guess practice and time will improve our driving as we are in our first stages of driving.
MusicGamer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I passed in 7 months with a 1.5 hour lesson every week. So around 42 hours of lessons, possibly a few more on the lead up to my test

Honestly, it just takes practice to get the multitasking, it took me a while as well, but you’ll get there, just keep at it!

Good luck
lauren2451
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i passed in 6 months!
wednesdayx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It took me 3 months, around 26hrs of lessons in total. I was a nervous wreck up right up until the day of my test but once I got in the car with the examiner and set off driving my nerves all seemed to go. Passed first time with 2 minors. Good luck with your driving!
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's all about being realistic with yourself. I know it's going to take me longer than average to get to test standard as I'm not a practical person in general but I'm okay with that. I'd rather know I'm going to take longer from the start than expecting to pass within a few months and being disappointed. You hear stories of people being ready for their test in 10 lessons but that will only apply to the very, very few. Easier said than done but try not to compare yourself to other people. It doesn't matter how many lessons you take, what matters is that you're going at a pace that suits you and you're being pushed out of your comfort zone a little bit every lesson. The end result is the same, just some people take different routes to get there.

6 lessons in is still early. Everyone struggles with the multitasking but you soon get used to it. Changing gear whilst not looking is probably one of the harder things to do - I found I had to really concentrate at first so I didn't veer off into the middle of the road - but it feels much more natural with time.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 4 weeks ago
Duncannon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm sure most of us felt like that when we first started driving. I couldn't put the car into first gear and move off without panicking I was going to run someone that I hadn't seen over.

But don't give up! I first started lessons when I was 17 - I did about 10-15 hours, passed my theory and then ...never got round to taking my practical test. Ended up at university in London then staying here for work. Hadn't thought about driving much until last year (aged 26), when I, apropos of nothing, decided I wanted my driving licence. So I had my first lesson in September 2018 (having completely forgotten everything from my lessons aged 17), got bored of my flaky AA instructor and his bad instruction, passed my theory, got a nice new BSM instructor and after a total of 23 hours of lessons, with little to no in-between practice, I passed my practical driving test first time with just four minors. Now I can't believe I didn't do it sooner, because I love driving and the freedom it brings with it.

So there you go - it took me nine years. You may feel rubbish about your skills now, but driving a manual car isn't something you can master in an instant, it takes hours of practice, there's a lot to remember at first. You will get better at it and in six months time when you have your shiny pink licence you'll wonder why you ever thought it was so hard.

Two recommendations however:
1) If your instructor ain't working for you, sack him off and get a new one (I did this, as I said above, and he had to spend three hours correcting the bad practice the previous instructor had instilled in me)
2) Use YouTube videos. There are many great instructors out there that have their own channels and provide good lessons on how to safely navigate roundabouts/how to do move-off checks/what speed means what gear etc. Happy to link you to some.
lucasdurkin
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
oof...

Where do i start lmao, Well i basically crammed my driving experience in last year which thankfully i passed just before the closure of the test centre in december lol

To say how many times i failed would be 2 times in the space of a month where the 3rd I passed on literally a fraction because i nearly left my indicator on for way too long.

However! lol The 3rd test i had the same examiner as the first test which was so helpful we talked and discussed about where we're going for christmas which was cool if your not a nerve magnet in that time lol. But i promise you it's worth the struggle, i actually came back on this section to feel empathy for everyone going through their driving experience and how liberating it is too pass. I promise you when you get home and pass you'll feel a euphoria for atleast a week. I sometimes go back on google maps and go through the test routes and say to myself "Wtf were you worried about" but it's easier to say now loool.

Good luck to all of you still journeying through their driving progress, hope you pass soon!
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
8 weeks.
AM_TSR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
8 weeks.
How many lessons did you have a week?
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AM_TSR)
How many lessons did you have a week?
3 or 4.

In more detail, I did a semi-intensive course. I started off with 2 hour lessons 3 days a week and gradually bumped up to 3 hours 4x a week. I did 30 hours in 4 weeks. Failed my first test, which I still don't agree with to this day after 6 years of experience but what can you do. 2 week gap, an hour lesson the day before the test, then failed my second test, totally my own fault admittedly. Another 2 weeks, no more lessons, just dove straight in on the day as my instructor said I was test ready, I just needed to drive to my capability and I'd pass... third time lucky, passed with 1 minor, 8 weeks after my very first lesson :top:
DanF_2000
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Had a year of lessons (around 45?) and got my practical in 3 days... I'm pretty good and comfortable with driving, it's just keeping concentration as well as a bit more clutch/brake control when parallel parking (tend to go a bit too fast or too slow.) Also roundabouts are still pretty scary
BrabbleStabble
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I had about 12 or so lessons, everyone takes a different amount of time.

I don't think people should take notice of how long it has taken others, we are all different.
aaaaa77
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
do an intensive course if you can, like a 2 hour lesson every day for 1-2 weeks, it's the best way to do it 100%
Vikt0rija
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I passed in 15 hours but everyone is different! You’d rather be confident driving, not just confident passing the test! You’ll do just fine in your own time, it’ll come to you
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
For a different perspective... I passed (first time!) after 3 months but 54 hours! Tbh I drove like **** in my test and couldn't believe I passed, could probably have passed at 30-40 hours BUT I actually feel confident driving for the most part + I was a super nervous driver so I wanted to be at a really solid standard.
5thchild
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My daughter passed her driving test just last Friday. 10 weeks after her 17th birthday (she passed her theory on her birthday!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (142)
21.19%
The paper was reasonable (327)
48.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (125)
18.66%
It was TERRIBLE (76)
11.34%

Watched Threads