The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

DMU as a very mature student?

Honest answers please - I'm 40, have a place to start in September on an undergrad course and I'm terrified I'm going to be a social outcast for the next 3 years. Will be commuting in each day so I'm never going to be part of the whole social whirl of things as I've got my own kids - but realistically how's the uni in terms of supporting us oldies?
Hi, where will you be commuting from? I cant talk on behalf of dmu as i initially applied to go there this september, then changed my mind, and now might change my mind again back to dmu (don’t ask lol)

I’m also a mature student in my mid 20’s and when i went to uni last yr, before dropping out, there was a variety of different ages. What i will say is theres a very high chance you will have someone older on your course aswell, and you’ll find you’ll naturally bond. But they also have a mature students society and (i think) a commuters society, so you’ll meet people in the same boat and I’m sure you’ll be fine :smile:
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Hello,
This is Jon Ellison, Creative Writing student, Masters. I read your message. I'm a mature student myself aged 29.
I know other students on my course who are above my age. One of them is in his 40s. Another is in his early 70s. We've had some social meetings and the uni opens doors to people of any age, 18 and above. So you won't be excluded from social events or uni life in general.
When I started my undergrad, I was 21. But a few others were above my age.
True that most uni students are aged between 18-21, but there's nothing to worry about.
(Original post by Anonymous)Honest answers please - I'm 40, have a place to start in September on an undergrad course and I'm terrified I'm going to be a social outcast for the next 3 years. Will be commuting in each day so I'm never going to be part of the whole social whirl of things as I've got my own kids - but realistically how's the uni in terms of supporting us oldies?

Hi,
I’m Cazz and I’m 55. I’m about to start my third (and final year) of Creative Writing BA and I cannot recommend dmu highly enough. I’ve been made so welcome by students of all ages on a variety of courses, and have never felt out of place.
I’d recommend making sure you join any FB chats with course members prior to term starting, go to all of the course events during Freshers and chat to everyone you can. Most mature students live off campus, have family obligations and commute (I come from Stamford by train) so we don’t tend to go to evening socials. The mature student society doesn’t really get much going, but we do chat and sometime meet up for coffee.
Which course are you doing?
Hope to meet you soon!
Cazz

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending