The Student Room Group

I have £82,000 in the stock market, AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maachu_pichuu
lol, it's more than what most people at 26 have.

sure but it's still not that special. you likely either got it from a high paying job, inheritance, some other windfall (biz sale, asset sale, lottery etc).. there are probably thousands of mid-late twenty year olds in london with that much money or more
Original post by mnot
What did u start with, how long have u been growing it?
How many positions do you have, what percentage of your fund is in an average position?

I think I made £18,000 in profit, since 2015 I've been at it. See the first page for the stocks I have, but it's no more than 14. Biggest position is Square.
Original post by Themysticalegg
Can I take a 50% cut of the 50k? :colondollar:

NO :angry: Its all mine, you :goaway:

Spoiler

IPO- It's Probably Overpriced

Stay away, buying companies which have no positive earnings is risky. Valuation is everything in investing, Uber is very hard to value since you are using projected earnings which may not materialise.

Useful advice, I think their business practices are... interesting... I certainly wouldn't invest. Nice talking to you!
Original post by thestudent33
Lol ok, so are you gonna give me 50k

I hope not.
Oh nice!!! Do you want to become a lecturer?
Also what university, if you don't mind me asking?

Rather not say the university, I might do some research in finance.
I hope not.

hope not? Does that mean you might? :fisheye:
hope not? Does that mean you might? :fisheye:

But you will spend all the money. Then what do I do.
NO :angry: Its all mine, you :goaway:

Spoiler

You are so kind, if I get Mayfair on McDonalds Monopoly we can also share! :biggrin:
Did you buy Facebook before or after it crashed?

Go to work? :biggrin:
Rather not say the university, I might do some research in finance.

Ah interesting! Sounds good, I assume you did your bachelors in Finance also or did you convert for masters?
Original post by Princepieman
sure but it's still not that special. you likely either got it from a high paying job, inheritance, some other windfall (biz sale, asset sale, lottery etc).. there are probably thousands of mid-late twenty year olds in london with that much money or more

Ok, but it's hard to hold onto that money. My motivations are not to blow money on expensive things, end of the day whatever I make in the market will go to my family and charity when I die. You can't build wealth buying ferraris.
Original post by yudothis
Did you buy Facebook before or after it crashed?

I bought facebook at $138
You are so kind, if I get Mayfair on McDonalds Monopoly we can also share! :biggrin:

:borat:
Ah interesting! Sounds good, I assume you did your bachelors in Finance also or did you convert for masters?

My undergrad is in maths, I only learnt finance in 2014.
Reply 76
Original post by Princepieman
why should we care? £82k isn't exactly life changing or even enough to supplement your income with a SWR of 4% or less.

come back to us in like 15 years when you actually have something worth asking about

Now now, don't ruin the fun too soon :biggrin:

Aight, I'm gonna leave off persuading you to give me the 50k for today, got revision to do. I'll be back tomorrow :cool:
Original post by Reue
Now now, don't ruin the fun too soon :biggrin:

I agree, £82K is nothing compared to what millionaires have in stocks.
I think I made £18,000 in profit, since 2015 I've been at it. See the first page for the stocks I have, but it's no more than 14. Biggest position is Square.

so you average 9ish% return a year which is very good, but until you increase your market cap its kinda hard to see how good you really are.
Do you see yourself as an investor or trader, how long do you normally hold a position for?
good luck, keep growing your bank roll!

Quick Reply

Latest