Journalist shot dead in Derry during rioting in the city Watch

Themysticalegg
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Very sad news on the death of Lyra McKee, a young journalist at 29.
Is this the rise of the new IRA or another group?
The video in the BBC article is very scary.

“This public order situation saw over 50 petrol bombs thrown at police, two cars hijacked and set on fire and then unfortunately at 11 o’clock last night a gunman appeared and fired a number of shots towards police

'The unrest comes ahead of the Easter weekend where republicans mark the anniversary of the 1916 Easter Rising, a time when dissidents are traditionally active.'

Source:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47985469
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...iots-1.3865622
Last edited by Themysticalegg; 4 weeks ago
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Open a youth centre. Give these kids something to do.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It isn't a rise of the IRA, they just never went away in the first place.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Watch the video of shots being fired. It's a bunch of teenage hooligans. They're not organised criminals, they're just yobs that happen to have access to guns.

Absolutely tragic waste of a life, this.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
(Original post by L i b)
Watch the video of shots being fired. It's a bunch of teenage hooligans. They're not organised criminals, they're just yobs that happen to have access to guns.

Absolutely tragic waste of a life, this.
Yep, the more I read about her the more tragic it is. Appeared to be a genuinely good role model in society, they always say the good ones die first.
Last edited by Themysticalegg; 4 weeks ago
Surnia
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Two teenagers have been arrested in connection with the murder of journalist Lyra McKee:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47996258
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm from Derry. I'm disgusted at what has happened. It's a disgrace. Saoradh released a statement saying it was a "tragic and accidentally killing" (words to that effect). It was NOT accidental. It was MURDER. Who shoots into a crowd of bystanders, women and children, and expects nothing to happen?

The BBC were tbere filming as they were with Saoradh. There is a theory going around now that the unrest was all a big set up for the cameras. If that is so, then I'm even more disgusted.

I'm a nationalist, and this was done by people supposedly from my community. Not in my name. They're not nationalists, they're not even Republicans, they are a disgraceful group of commons thugs. Oppression my ass.

(Original post by Notoriety)
Open a youth centre. Give these kids something to do.
The youth centre in that area, Creggan? Its site was set on fire last month as they were doing construction on it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-47602576
Last edited by Airmed; 4 weeks ago
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Doones Have you been following the news?
Doones
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Airmed)
Doones Have you been following the news?
Yes :cry2:
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Doones)
Yes :cry2:
It's so upsetting
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
I'm from Derry. I'm disgusted at what has happened. It's a disgrace. Saoradh released a statement saying it was a "tragic and accidentally killing" (words to that effect). It was NOT accidental. It was MURDER. Who shoots into a crowd of bystanders, women and children, and expects nothing to happen?

The BBC were tbere filming as they were with Saoradh. There is a theory going around now that the unrest was all a big set up for the cameras. If that is so, then I'm even more disgusted.

I'm a nationalist, and this was done by people supposedly from my community. Not in my name. They're not nationalists, they're not even Republicans, they are a disgraceful group of commons thugs. Oppression my ass.

The youth centre in that area, Creggan? Its site was set on fire last month as they were doing construction on it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northe...-west-47602576
"During this attack on the community, a Republican Volunteer attempted to defend people from the PSNI/RUC. Tragically a young journalist covering the events, Lyra McKee, was killed accidentally while standing behind armed Crown Force personnel and armoured vehicles.'' I would not want to be put together with common thugs who shoot at civilians either and I truly hope this wasn't a set up, it's disgraceful.

If you don't mind me asking, on a different note would you ever consider moving from Derry and there have been a few incidents before this in recent times. Do you feel safe in Derry?

Sometimes I feel there is destruction for destruction's sake.

Source:
https://www.derrynow.com/news/republ...t-derry/275585
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
"During this attack on the community, a Republican Volunteer attempted to defend people from the PSNI/RUC. Tragically a young journalist covering the events, Lyra McKee, was killed accidentally while standing behind armed Crown Force personnel and armoured vehicles.'' I would not want to be put together with common thugs who shoot at civilians either and I truly hope this wasn't a set up, it's disgraceful.

If you don't mind me asking, on a different note would you ever consider moving from Derry and there have been a few incidents before this in recent times. Do you feel safe in Derry?

Sometimes I feel there is destruction for destruction's sake.

Source:
https://www.derrynow.com/news/republ...t-derry/275585
I have moved from Derry. I live in Scotland. I went to uni here. I'm not going back to live there permanently.

I always feel safe in Derry though. Riots, bombs, they are so normal to me, and I was born during the ceasefire (1996)
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
Welcome to NI.
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
4 security alerts in Derry this morning.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have moved from Derry. I live in Scotland. I went to uni here. I'm not going back to live there permanently.

I always feel safe in Derry though. Riots, bombs, they are so normal to me, and I was born during the ceasefire (1996)
Oh wow :eek:

4 security alerts in Derry this morning.
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's not shocking to me, but I know people find it weird. I've lost count of the amount of bomb scares that happen.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
It's not shocking to me, but I know people find it weird. I've lost count of the amount of bomb scares that happen.
Like we had one bomb threat once in Swansea and it was just a 17 year old playing a prank, but everyone was like OMG BOMB, THERE'S A BOMB. It's just so unheard of but I can understand from a Derry perspective. I actually fell in love with Northern Ireland when I went for an interview there, would happily go again.
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Dissidents accused of stoking Derry riot for Reggie Yates documentary

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...y_to_clipboard
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Dissidents accused of stoking Derry riot for Reggie Yates documentary

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...y_to_clipboard
I really do hope this isn't true...... I'm not even going to say what I think otherwise I'll get banned but this makes me so angry.
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I really do hope this isn't true...... I'm not even going to say what I think otherwise I'll get banned but this makes me so angry.
I'm the same, don't worry. My social media feeds have been flooded with this theory all weekend. I've not yet called home but I reckon I'll be told the same when I do later today.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (38)
5.67%
Fairly positive (221)
32.99%
Just another year... (265)
39.55%
Is it 2020 yet? (146)
21.79%

Watched Threads